need opinion on LDS and instruction

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeFerrara once bubbled...

I would charge you for using the pool though.
I have no problem with Mike's post here, but the fact you spent 50 bucks and they shuffled you out the door would be enough for me to be awfully pissed off.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
I can say that there's nothing written in any of those policies that tell me when or why to inspect a reg or any other piece of equipment. The insurance companies pretty much leave it to the equipment manufacturer to decide when what, when and how to service their equipment.

I was referring to more of the LIABILITY that the owner was opening himself up to, rather than the insurance company TELLING you to inspect a piece of equipment.

I believe there are some online equipment sellers that don't know a reg from a box of soap and after buying from them it might be a good idea to have the reg checked (if you can't do it yourself).

If someone brings a reg, octo, gauges, and LP inflator hose to us to assemble, we would do a full performance check on the reg, after we assembled it. We would also charge $35 for this service.

with the local AGs office and the local BBB.

You probably won't get the $50 back. But you will force them to do more than $50 worth of work to respond to the complaints, and further, you'll leave a record for the next guy who checks them out before going in there.

Include the fact that this action was a punitive one based on your purchase of the gear from a different store, and that it had already been assembled and tested. That ought to perk up some ears.....

tonyc once bubbled...
I really liked my instructor at SSI, but would prefer never to spend one cent in their store again.

Thoughts appreciated,
Tony.

Thoughts ... Good instructors are hard to find. If you're happy with your instructor, why cut off your nose to spite your face? Contact the instructor you like and find out when he is teaching an AOW class, he may even agree to do it privately for what the shop would charge. See if you can arrange for pool time and equipment purchases through him, many shops not only allow but encourage such relationships

I think that the regulator checkout charge is bogus but I agree with Mike that you should expect to pay for pool usage as well as tank rental etc.

Mike

LUBOLD8431 once bubbled...
Ok, I will probably get flamed for this, but anyways...

I see their side of having to check your reg out to make sure it is good working condition. It is their pool. Their insurance may not cover them if an accident should happen and they allowed a foreign regulator into their pool without examing it. I would have said, congrats on your new purchase, you are going to like this reg, years of trouble free service, etc, etc, and then just hooked it up to the test bench, checked the IP, checked both second stages, and into the pool you go. NO CHARGE. $50 is a little high for the service, if they even did anything. I would try to get them to refund that money back towards an AOW class. See what they say...

LOL a foreign reg. Dude, nobody does this. Do you think if you bought a reg at another shop that your shop would insist that they check it out and then charge you for it?

Does your shop bully every diver who arrives for a course with his own gear into handing it over and then present them with a bill for a previously undisclosed amount when they pick it up?

Give me a break. I can't see that it was anything else other than that they were sh*tting him because he didn't buy his reg there. It's cynical, it's wrong, it taking advantage of someone who is naive and evidently polite enough not to look them in the eyes and tell them to stick it up their proverbial poop-shoot and it should not be defended.

(is that a good enough flame for you? :))

R..

Diver0001 once bubbled...

(is that a good enough flame for you? :))

R..

Yeah, good one... And, yes if someone wants to use their own reg that they did not buy from us for the open water dives, yes we do inspect them before the dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom