Need quick advice... I'm in Mexico right now...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Glad to hear you chose to complete the OW certification. You won't regret it.

A diver, even a vacation diver is much better off (that means safer), even diving on "guided" vacation dives, when he or she has more fully trained. A diver needs to be responsible for their own safety, instead of relying on a DM to keep them out of trouble, and you are taking the correct first step toward that end with the OW!

Get the full cert.

And think about diving when you get home. There's some great diving in and around them lakes! I live in MN, and I understand not considering local diving in northern in-land climes, but the reality is that with the right gear diving here can be fantastic.

And after a few more classes, the next time you're in the tropics you can hand them an ice diver card when they ask to see your certification. The looks you get are worth it all by themselves :)

Plenty of great diving within easy driving distance of Toronto. My introduction to diving was in Cozumel 30 years ago, little different how they did it back then, and I thought I would only be diving while on vacation down south. I was wrong.:D
Plenty of clubs in the Toronto area and if you want to find out more please PM me.
In my opinion you made the right choice to go with the OW.

One word of caution, diving in the Great Lakes is highly addictive.

The ROC,

When I got my OW certification 7 yrs ago I was afraid of the water and couldn't swim (unless you count dog padding as swimming). I wasn't sure I would like it. I didn't live near warm Caribbean waters and wasn't sure how often I would be able to get there.

Fast forward seven years: I'm a scuba instructor and active cave diver, no longer afraid of the water, and can now propel myself through the water by means other than the dog paddle. And, in case you haven't guessed, I am crazy about the sport.

I hope you find as much enjoyment in diving as I do. Congratulations on your decision to get your OW C-card. Dive safe!

What's a "$299 PADI cert" ???...vs the $449 model???......

What's a "$299 PADI cert" ???...vs the $449 model???......

One is the PADI scuba diver course, the other is the OW course. The scuba diver course only certifies you to dive while under direct supervision at all times. It is the rock climbing equivalent of only being allowed to top rope while the OW is like being able to climb lead.

One is the PADI scuba diver course, the other is the OW course. The scuba diver course only certifies you to dive while under direct supervision at all times. It is the rock climbing equivalent of only being allowed to top rope while the OW is like being able to climb lead.

Thanks-since I know NOTHING about mountains- I'll take your word.....Sounds like another way of ripping people off....To the OP, get your OW cert, otherwise you'll always be disappointed......

Thanks-since I know NOTHING about mountains- I'll take your word.....Sounds like another way of ripping people off....To the OP, get your OW cert, otherwise you'll always be disappointed......

I would concur. It is pretty much the most "wham, bam, thank you ma'am" way possible of getting remotely certified without having to be responsible for your own safety or anything of any real consequence (this is all my opinion of course). As for climbing, if you ever get the hankering, come on up Jacksonville and we'll go :wink: It's a wicked rush.

The Scuba Diver certification is very rarely given for the reasons people give, but there are some times it is appropriate. We once gave it, for example, to a high functioning autistic student who we felt had the skills to dive safely, but we felt he should always have a professional with him. We talked about it with his mother, and she agreed.

It is also sometimes given in resort areas to people who don't have the time to commit to the full program, are happy to dive within the limitations for the duration of the vacation, and then plan to finish off at home.

I agree with everyone else that in this case you should finish it up.

At this point you should get the OW cert. You will have paid quite a bit more than you probably would have at a scuba shop at home. But, would you have really done it at home? And at home you'd be doing your open water dives in 50F/10C water instead of 80F/27C water. It's worth it to do it in warm water. (Take it from me, I teach scuba in 10C water.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom