Need Recommendations for Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you are still thinking about Koh Tao, I can make a recomendation. Taa Tao. A couple years ago, I went diving there. The resort is tucked in the 'back' part of the island, away from the 'main' touristy sections making it quite relaxing. The views from the bungalows are well, truly amazing! The open air resturant has great pinapple shakes, nice private beach. Dive staff was very knowlegable, friendly. Resort staff was fun, played some beach soccer with them. The 'house reef' was a great night dive site.

I am NOT affiliated with any dive shop in Thailand.... just a diver who when there and really didnt want to leave. They have a website for more info:
http://www.taatohdivers.com/index.html

Enjoy your trip.

I'm definately interested in Koh Phi Phi. Are there lots of dive sites there?

Phi Phi Islands Dive Sites

My favourite local dives are at Koh Bida Nok and Koh Bida Nai. You are also within reach of Hin Daeng and Hin Muang, though these are not used for Open Water courses.

Phi Phi has many places to stay, what kind of budget are you looking at?

Enjoy your trip!

Jamie

Budget is around $35 US/ night but would prefer around $20. Looks amazing there! I can't wait!!!

OnTheSpot:
Phi Phi Islands Dive Sites

My favourite local dives are at Koh Bida Nok and Koh Bida Nai. You are also within reach of Hin Daeng and Hin Muang, though these are not used for Open Water courses.

Phi Phi has many places to stay, what kind of budget are you looking at?

Enjoy your trip!

Jamie

I agree about Bida Nok/Nai, which are almost within swimming distance of Phi Phi Don.
Also that there are other sites that all have their own +/- 's.

I would check out Phi Phi or Koh Lanta. I like Koh Tao a lot but you will see more divers than fish sometimes.

Hiya.. i haved worked in Phi Phi, Tao, Phuket... and this is my take on things:

July/August Weather:
East Coast: Koh Tao/Koh Phangnan/Koh Samui - High Season
West Coast: Koh Phi Phi/Koh Lanta/Phuket - Low Season

Phi Phi is at low season at that time of year.. so if the weather gets really bad the ferrys might not even run... saying that phi phi does need tourist income after the tsunami... but check what the weather is saying first..

on phi phi there are loads of local dive sites... dive 1 is usually at Bida Nok or Bida Ni followed by a break at where they filmed they beach and dive 2 is some where around koh phi phi leh.. vis can only be expected to be 10-15m at that time of year... if you have a good DM you will definately see a load of leopard sharks, morays, giant morays, an octupus if you are lucky... turtles.. best land based diving in Thailand! All the shops that remained open are pretty good.. i would personally recommend aquanauts.. stay away from the bigger shops like Island Divers...

I do however suggest you go to Koh Tao, or to be more precise a litte island of the side of koh tao called koh nangyuan.. its a dive resort island.. amazingly beautiful, but not a lot to do at night..great dive shop, very friendly and proffesional.... covers the same dive sites as Koh Tao based operators....

If not on Koh Tao personally its a hard choice.. there are like 35 dive shops to choose from... i'd personally stay away from the larger dive shops as they will put 8 in a group! not really want you want! but at the same time some of the smaller ones don't have the best of reputations... personally i'd stick somewhere in the middle like easy divers...

Hope that helps.

Hmm... well I plan on going to BOTH islands. I think I'll go to Phi Phi first. It sounds like it might be cheaper for my girlfriend to do her certification there. Hopefully the weather is good!

Open Water course in Phi Phi is 11,900 Baht plus the purchase of PADI manual. Koh Tao is cheaper, but the diving is normally not as good. Weather should be better in Koh Tao, on the other hand it's peak summer season for student backpackers, so for that reason I would personally lean towards Phi Phi unless you love the crowds...

Back
Top Bottom