Need rental car help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kroyt

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Last year we were in Cozumel for the month of July and rented a VW convertible several days for $30 a day including insurance from Bonefish. I was pleased with the deal since it was just for a couple of days. This year we are going to be in Cozumel the last week of June and all of July. I would think since the summer is the off season and needing a car for 35 days there should be some sort of price break but $30 per day is what I have been quote from Bonefish and Isis. That's $1050. Lol I should get the title to the Bug for that. Any advice or help would be appreciated.

I've never gotten any discount for extended rentals. When it comes to low season, the agencies need the income more and the insurance and other fixed costs aren't any cheaper for them.

Maybe check with Hertz or Avis to see if they offer discounted low-season long-term rental rates?

I rent for a month every year in the high season. I always rent from Isis and pay her advertised rates. A friend suggested I try Fiesta Car Rental a while back, she said they had monthly rates. The problem with them for me was that no collision coverage was offered at their monthly rate and purchasing it would have made it even more expensive than Isis daily rates.

Maybe try Fiesta? The owner is my insurance lady. I know I have heard of cheaper long term rentals and I *think* it might have been them?

---------- Post added May 5th, 2015 at 08:37 AM ----------

Whoops... Well, maybe check anyway.... :)

Last year we were in Cozumel for the month of July and rented a VW convertible several days for $30 a day including insurance from Bonefish. I was pleased with the deal since it was just for a couple of days. This year we are going to be in Cozumel the last week of June and all of July. I would think since the summer is the off season and needing a car for 35 days there should be some sort of price break but $30 per day is what I have been quote from Bonefish and Isis. That's $1050. Lol I should get the title to the Bug for that. Any advice or help would be appreciated.
$30/day in a vacation destination is not that out of line. My advice is to take a close look at your needs and decide how important it is to you to have a car the whole time. If you are staying in town or close to town I would consider foregoing the car rental completely.

Glad you asked here! Good luck.
I agree! $1000+ ought to get you the title!

Don't know if it possible on cozumel, but on other tropical island locations I have actually rented cars directly from locals for long terms. Typically I've asked bartender's, waitresses etc... if they know any local who would rent me a car for a month. Have had luck every time, there always seems to be somebody who knows somebody who does this for some extra money. $8-$10 a day seems to be the going rate elsewhere.

Thanks guys. Got a deal today. Bonefish hooked me up. Sallye, your personal taxi will be back soon.

Don't know if it possible on cozumel, but on other tropical island locations I have actually rented cars directly from locals for long terms. Typically I've asked bartender's, waitresses etc... if they know any local who would rent me a car for a month. Have had luck every time, there always seems to be somebody who knows somebody who does this for some extra money. $8-$10 a day seems to be the going rate elsewhere.

I like the idea. What about insurance, though?

I like the idea. What about insurance, though?

Insurance? What insurance?

You're probably going to have to put the practical side of the brain on hold when you're going that route. LOL

One time I did this, I ask the person whom we were renting it from about returning it, he said just park it on the beach and leave the keys in it. I kind of cocked my eyebrow looking at him over my mai tai and asked him the stupid question that we north americanos have to ask since that is how we are wired, "But, but...what if somebody steals it?", he just laughed at me and said, "We are on an island man, where are they going to go with it? Besides everyone knows what me car looks like anyway." He thought about it for another moment and added "I'm sure whoever would take it probably needed it for a good reason like taking their mum to the clinic, I'm sure they would put it back when they were done."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom