Need some advice : Cozumel tip in a few weeks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While we only drove from Cancun to Mahahual the most dangerous things we encountered were inattention combined with NASTY tropes! Our son saw one last second that probably would have separated the chassis from the frame of the rental jeep given the speed i was going. Yikes!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

While we only drove from Cancun to Mahahual the most dangerous things we encountered were inattention combined with NASTY tropes! Our son saw one last second that probably would have separated the chassis from the frame of the rental jeep given the speed i was going. Yikes!

Oh when driving in Cozumel, I gab and drive and the front passenger is in charge of yelling, "TOPE" so I know to slow down. Otherwise back seaters get compressed spinal columns...

Try driving to Chiquilá to hire a boat to Holbox - unsure if on the right road, in the dark, dodging huge potholes. :eek:

At least there are better maps now, but google maps will still take you on a route that fails. :mad: See other thread: www.scubaboard.com/forums/mexico/465097-who-has-driven-chiquil%E1-holbox-ferry.html

Last edited:
Wife and myself looking to having a good Mexican meal before heading out to sea. Some good seafood is a plus. Any recommendations?

I've heard of Casa Mission, and Paprika's, Kinta, Kondessa, El Moro, La Hach, too many to decide.:idk:

Last edited:
The time on my itinerary is 8am on Sep 23rd and that is supposed to be local port time. Departure time is 6pm. Therefore I can't grab Aldora Divers 1st morning dive. They set-up a slightly later dive for cruisers. Frankly i'll be doing 4-5 dives on this cruise, a 1 tank dive ain't gonna kill me. I'm sure I will return to Cozumel again. Then I will override the wife.

What's ATM cave?

Nothing against Aldora, but with an 8am arrival, there are PLENTY of operations that you can still get out on a two-tank morning dive and be finished by 1:00 allowing you the rest of the day to explore!

The diving in Cayman is great, but Roatan is nothing like either cayman or Cozumel. I would rethink and do the two-tank here and do one tank or something else in Roatan.

Just my opinion!

Wife and myself looking to having a good Mexican meal before heading out to sea. Some good seafood is a plus. Any recommendations?

I've heard of Guido's, Rolandi's, Casa Mission, and Paprika's, Kinte, Kondessa, El Moro, La Hach, too many to decide.:idk:

Define "Good Mexican Meal"?

Guidos: Lot of people like. Ive been there once and got the seafood platter thing. The tuna that was also the catch of the day was awesome. The rest was 'fishy' and tasted a little old.
Rolandi's: Nice fancy pizza joint?
Casa Mission: beautiful place, good food, can be more expensive.
Kinta and Kondessa: Both of Kris' restaurants are great. Kinta has a fancy MX fusion kind of thing. Not expensive but the food look like it belongs on the cover of a magazine. Love Kinta.
El Moro: Perhaps my favorite restaurant on the island. I love Ray and the crew. Not expensive.

La Hatch: Ate there once for lunch, nice view. Nothing wrong. wasnt particularly memorible food wise. The view is what I remember.
Paprika: Dropped book off there for a collection for kid on the island I think. Never ate there.

Another nice choice for "Mexican Meal" is Parrilla Mission on 30th. Sister to Casa and La Mission. Parrilla has a big grill and does alot of fajitas and the like. They also have a nice hot side bar you can hit buffet style for interesting side dishes. Skip their margaritas though. Not the best. We love to eat her though. Really cheap, good food.

Oh when driving in Cozumel, I gab and drive and the front passenger is in charge of yelling, "TOPE" so I know to slow down. Otherwise back seaters get compressed spinal columns...

We've been there....A lot of them used to be huge ropes.

I've heard of Casa Mission, and Paprika's, Kinta, Kondessa, El Moro, La Hach, too many to decide.:idk:

Unfortunately, Kinta and Kondessa will not be options for you - they don't open until 6pm each day - closed on Mondays.

I fear telling about this place, because surely of of you Scubaboard folks will start invading it :wink: - but it really is too good not to share. It's the freshest local seafood I have found on the island and I just discovered it recently.

It's not a big restaurant - very small, but cheap and delicious! It's on Ave 20 at the corner of Calle 5 = it's on the SE corner of the block - not exactly on the corner - but you won't miss it if you're looking for it.

It's yellow and has sliding glass doors. It's simply says Pescaderia over the door. They have amazing ceviches and prepared fresh fish. 5 of us had a FEAST there for $700 pesos ($56usd) - we had a WHOLE cooked fish that was prepared in garlic and olive oil - prepared so that we did not have to worry about the bones - also 2 large ceviche platters, and some lionfish. My BF and I have eaten there several times and we love it.

If you want more of a restaurant, try La Perlita on Calle 10 between Av. 70 and 75 (taxi drivers will get you there), La Choza, or El Moro (open daily from 1:00pm until 10pm) except Thursdays - again, you'll need a taxi for this one!

I haven't had the pleasure of trying Paprika's yet, so I can't comment.

Have fun~

Oh, if you are adding:

La Choza is a always a good 'go to.'

La Perlita is the home of TERRIFIC lionfish dishes. Give it a whirl!

Nothing against Aldora, but with an 8am arrival, there are PLENTY of operations that you can still get out on a two-tank morning dive and be finished by 1:00 allowing you the rest of the day to explore!

The diving in Cayman is great, but Roatan is nothing like either cayman or Cozumel. I would rethink and do the two-tank here and do one tank or something else in Roatan.

Just my opinion!

All indicators seem to be pointing towards a 2 tank in Cozumel with Aldora Divers, already booked with the option. Roatan will be 1 tank due to short port stay, already booked. Grand Cayman also 2 tank dive already booked.

---------- Post added September 8th, 2013 at 04:28 PM ----------

Unfortunately, Kinta and Kondessa will not be options for you - they don't open until 6pm each day - closed on Mondays.

I fear telling about this place, because surely of of you Scubaboard folks will start invading it :wink: - but it really is too good not to share. It's the freshest local seafood I have found on the island and I just discovered it recently.

It's not a big restaurant - very small, but cheap and delicious! It's on Ave 20 at the corner of Calle 5 = it's on the SE corner of the block - not exactly on the corner - but you won't miss it if you're looking for it.

It's yellow and has sliding glass doors. It's simply says Pescaderia over the door. They have amazing ceviches and prepared fresh fish. 5 of us had a FEAST there for $700 pesos ($56usd) - we had a WHOLE cooked fish that was prepared in garlic and olive oil - prepared so that we did not have to worry about the bones - also 2 large ceviche platters, and some lionfish. My BF and I have eaten there several times and we love it.

If you want more of a restaurant, try La Perlita on Calle 10 between Av. 70 and 75 (taxi drivers will get you there), La Choza, or El Moro (open daily from 1:00pm until 10pm) except Thursdays - again, you'll need a taxi for this one!

I haven't had the pleasure of trying Paprika's yet, so I can't comment.

Have fun~
That little hole in the wall sounds great. I often like trying out those types of joints.
To bad about Kinta and Kondessa being closed. I'll keep the others in mind as well. Thanks

Edit: That restaurant on Ave 20 at the corner of Calle 5, is that Calle 5 Nte (north) or calle 5 sur (south)?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom