Need some practice in my new drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tiggrr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Getting in the pool tomorrow to start using my new drysuit and want to get a lot of practice before the ice moves in.

I'm willing to go to the Ohio Quarries on the weekends but, would like to stay within an hour driving on the weekdays.

My regular buddy is in Japan so, its time for me to spread my wings and fly.

Lets get out there and dive!!!

PS I usually bring homemade cookies or muffins too :D

Congrats on the new drysuit! Sorry I'm so far away or I'd gladly practice with ya. Enjoy the new suit!

Welcome to the "Thought" of diving dry. Remember diving Dry is just a concept it really hasnt been mastered yet... you will understand once you get a couple of dives in hehehe

Well, you've probably got me jinxing it now, but the only thing that's kept me from being dry in my drysuit is sweating from being too warm. (Particularly the 85˚F pool session with the CT200 undergarments! No way to know if there was a leak!!)

I'm with John and Jim, post an invitation to join you at one of the quarries and you're quite likely to find someone willing to meet you there.

-Rob

Well, you've probably got me jinxing it now, but the only thing that's kept me from being dry in my drysuit is sweating from being too warm. (Particularly the 85˚F pool session with the CT200 undergarments! No way to know if there was a leak!!)

I'm with John and Jim, post an invitation to join you at one of the quarries and you're quite likely to find someone willing to meet you there.

-Rob

Taste the water that's on your undergarment. Yea, it sounds gross. But it's your own sweat. This works in a pool or in the ocean. Give the liquid a little taste. If it's pool water it'll taste like chlorine. If it's in the ocean it'll obviously be salty. If it's condensation or sweat, it'll be fresh or only slightly salty. You'll be amazed at how much you can sweat if it's warm topside and how much condensation can form if the water's cold.

You'll also find that the pattern of any liquid is a big clue. If your neck seal is leaking, the water will spread from your neck down. If it's a wrist seal, you'll get one really wet lower arm while the other's dry. If it's condensation or sweat, the moisture will be more uniform typically.

This is the fun stuff that you really just learn by trial and error. After about 50 dives or so in the suit it'll just be second nature.

Tiggr:

I'm in with you. I also have a new drysuit and want to get more practice with it also.
I don't have convenient access to a pool - if you have access to a pool I'll dive a pool with you on the weekdays. I really want to play with weights, so access to a pool is great.

I'm in for quarry dives on weekends.

I work in the Livonia area and can leave work anytime after 4pm for dives during the week. Weekends are obviously wide open.

If you want to do a weekday dive this week, PM me and I'll give you my contact info.

Taste the water that's on your undergarment. Yea, it sounds gross. But it's your own sweat. This works in a pool or in the ocean. Give the liquid a little taste. If it's pool water it'll taste like chlorine. If it's in the ocean it'll obviously be salty. If it's condensation or sweat, it'll be fresh or only slightly salty. You'll be amazed at how much you can sweat if it's warm topside and how much condensation can form if the water's cold.

You'll also find that the pattern of any liquid is a big clue. If your neck seal is leaking, the water will spread from your neck down. If it's a wrist seal, you'll get one really wet lower arm while the other's dry. If it's condensation or sweat, the moisture will be more uniform typically.

This is the fun stuff that you really just learn by trial and error. After about 50 dives or so in the suit it'll just be second nature.

and if its a leaky p-valve?:D

Congrats on the new drysuit! Sorry I'm so far away or I'd gladly practice with ya. Enjoy the new suit!

Thanx Jim! Lake Huron is going to ROCK next year!!

Well if you're in the Gilboa or Whitestar territory...give us a holler.

Then thats what I'm gonna do. I'm thinking a week from this Sunday. The Sunday after Thanksgiving. I'll know for sure in a few days and will post then.

Welcome to the "Thought" of diving dry. Remember diving Dry is just a concept it really hasnt been mastered yet... you will understand once you get a couple of dives in hehehe

I have been warned that I will look not so graceful. Fortunately, thats how I look on a regular basis. :D

Forgot the most important step ... smell it first :wink:

Can you believe that is the first time I have been officially grossed out??????

No. Its actually the 2nd. I left my neoprene socks wet in my bag for 2 weeks and held one up to Phil and told him to smell it. I said there wasn't a word on the planet to describe how it smelled. He said it smelled like "Satan's Breath."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom