Need to find most experienced instructor in West Palm or Boca for PADI's OW Checkout

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
I just finished my PADI Open Water class/pool sessions in Canada, the land of cold water dives, eh! :) I will be in West Plam area at the end of March near Riviera Beach, and want to complete my 2 day open water dives while down there.

MY CURRENT INSTRUCTOR...
I have a fantastic instructor who comes highly regarded in the local dive community as a very experienced and knowledgeable instructor. She sits on various diving boards and committies, and is helping to shape the diving ladnscape in Canada.

I AM LOOKING FOR THE BEST INSTRUCTOR NEAR WEST PALM/SURROUDING AREA...
Looking for a dive instructor in West Palm/Boca/area who is similar to my instrucot now: highly skilled, the best of the best, very experienced in both diving and teaching, and someone with a proven track of exceptional safety.

I have called quite a few dive shops in the area to find a great instructor. There appears to be a couple of options for me, but there is no "ratemydivinginstructor" website where I can actually see reviews about them, so I have no guage to tell if they are actually good or not and have to believe the dive shop.

I hear that as a new diver, it will be better for me to do my dives where there aren't any drifts? Is Boca a better area? Boca shops tell me that I should not do Open Water in West Palm near Riviera BEach, etc...save that for Advanced Open Water.

HELP?
Can anyone help and offer suggestions on who I should call? Thanks kindly.

Drift diving can be a bit more challenging than a beach dive or diving off of a boat that is tied to a mooring line, but new divers are certified in Jupiter and WPB on a daily basis with no issues. I personally think you can do your check out dives in the WPB area, but if you really are uncomfortable, go to Boynton Beach or Ft Lauderdale or anywhere in-between.

If you were to decide to go to Boynton Beach: check out Scuba Kevin's shop called Underwater Explorer's: he's a SB member. https://securec7.ezhostingserver.com/diveboyntonbeach-com/indexs.cfm

If you decide to stay in WPB, I'd look at one of these two operations:

-Force-E: my sister did a refresher course with Mark and had a fantastic experience Riviera Beach Scuba Diving Center - Dive store in central Riviera Beach

-Scuba Club: I did my advanced open water course with them and had a super experience. (by the way, I had been drift diving in Jupier and West Palm Beach prior to getting my advanced open water certification). Welcome to The Scuba Club, America's Only Country Club For Scuba Divers in West Palm Beach, FL

There are many other top notch operators in the area and I'm sure other SB'ers will chime in with recommendations.

My vote would be:
Kevin at
Underwater Explorers, Inc
www.DiveBoyntonBeach.com

He is over in Boynton Beach but that's not too far away. When I go down to South FL, I stay in Riviera Beach with my buddy's family. We love to dive the Blue Heron Bridge...a nice, easy shallow shore dive. Kevin has met us there for instruction before.

I did my AOW class with Kevin (over in Boynton beach). He's really an excellent diver and [better yet] an excellent instructor.

Thanks for your replies. Can anyone rate te following instructors:
- Chip from The Scuba Club
- Jeff Nelson from Force-E

Please keep your suggestions coming for others too. Thanks

You don't need to find the "best" Instructor. Heck everyone will have a different opinion on what is best. Just get recommendations for a good one and go. SCUBA is not that complicated, check out dives are not that complicated. Just don't get a total putz and you will be fine.

I did the AOW with Ernie at the Scuba Club: Wayne also helped out but Ernie was the instructor and was top notch in my book. Its been a while since I have been out with SC and I have not even met Chip; though knowing the shop's focus on safe diving, my bet is that he is good.

My sister's refresher course was taught by Mark at Force-E. I've not seen him in a while when I've been in the WPB store, but assuming he's still there, he did a great job with her course. I don't know Jeff. Knowing the shop, I can't believe that he would not be a decent instructor. Boiler 81 is probably correct: you don't need the best, but simply a decent instructor and, like I said, it would be hard for me to believe that someone at Force-E would not be, at least, decent.

I've seen Jeff from Force E in the water and also in a classroom instructional setting. I would have no problem recommending him as an instructor.

Kinda funny.. if you look at this video.. you will see Jeff (from Force E) on a dive with a few students... compare him and his students (I don't know what level students they were) see... 1:30 in the video....versus the students from another local dive shop (which i will not name) .. See 6:45....

[video=youtube_share;2FSmKwwT9v0]http://youtu.be/2FSmKwwT9v0[/video]

All good intentions of the SE Florida area and man it’s a hard call. As IMO Florida has soooo Many GREAT Instructors as its second nature!
They dive like others mow the lawn,That said dropping on the sand next to a reef is done with little distraction followed with skills and a quick tour make s it all well worth it!!!!

But being blown off due to bad weather = winds can mess up all great plans of earning a C- card on a quick trip down unless time is no worries.

That said Spring country from Crystal River or the several private springs in upper Florida area like Blue Grotto,Devil’s Den, a GREAT instructor can be found with out the nuances of winds, waves,boats,drift’s,marine life ect,,
Last Make sure you have your skill sets NAILED all of them! if not get back in the pool and practice! You will not get slack from any Florida instructors I have seen & dove with ! and most will work you into a 1 &1 or private class unless you book with a large shop.

As said above I 2nd & 3rd Kevin at UE would be my choice he fits all your requirements par NONE! but as said have your skills down as I have seen him train and he dose a great job BUT HE EXPECTS YOU TO KNOW YOUR STUFF! and dose not robo sign C-card’s
Good luck,practice,read,ask questions!
Brad

I'll throw my vote in for Kevin Metz at UWExplorers.

I've spent a lot of time diving with him and he teaches buoyancy and trim skills that just aren't being taught by other instructors I see.

all good intentions of the se florida area and man it’s a hard call. As imo florida has soooo many great instructors as its second nature!
they dive like others mow the lawn,that said dropping on the sand next to a reef is done with little distraction followed with skills and a quick tour make s it all well worth it!!!!

but being blown off due to bad weather = winds can mess up all great plans of earning a c- card on a quick trip down unless time is no worries.

that said spring country from crystal river or the several private springs in upper florida area like blue grotto,devil’s den, a great instructor can be found with out the nuances of winds, waves,boats,drift’s,marine life ect,,
last make sure you have your skill sets nailed all of them! If not get back in the pool and practice! You will not get slack from any florida instructors i have seen & dove with ! And most will work you into a 1 &1 or private class unless you book with a large shop.

as said above i 2nd & 3rd kevin at ue would be my choice he fits all your requirements par none! But as said have your skills down as i have seen him train and he dose a great job but he expects you to know your stuff! And dose not robo sign c-card’s
good luck,practice,read,ask questions!
brad

Just out of curiosity, why are you typing in that font!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom