Need to update my gear for travel. What fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry, yes. 2lbs less weight. Still can not find them in Europe...
I did not consider the Mares, I will check them too

The Apeks RK3 are nice. Ours weigh in at 4 lbs. for the medium and 5 lbs for the large.

I have to say I am quite sold on the Accels, they get pretty good reviews everywhere.

What about sizing? No stores sell them near where I live, so I will have to order online.

Problem is both my girlfriend and I wear sizes that fit in between the chart

https://www.mareshop.eu/media/sizetable/aeris-accel-sizetable.png

She is a 39-40 Euro and I am a 46 euro ( sorry but different sizing for men and women in USA may bring confusion), we plan to wear them with 2mm booties when traveling to warm waters but may use them back here with 5mm ones. Should we get an S and XL or XS and L...

No shuch thing as free return in Spain :)
We just got some of these for my wife. She liked them. She is a US size 8-8.5 (women...which is t on the chart that you linked to). We got her an XS and they fit her well with her thinner boots.

At the end I went for the accel's..today I recieved them.
20170718_130146-01.jpeg

From left to right, my girlfriend's accel size small0.58kg, my jetfin's xxlarge 1.60kg, my accel's xlarge 0.65kg. Almost 1kg less per fin (2lb 4oz less per fin aprox)
Even they are light the tip of the Accel has less flex than the Jetfin, size is almost the same with 1/3 the weight. Foot pocket is big, ( I am a size 12 US)so big I thought they would not fit me but with the 5mm boots they are ok, I have to try them with 3mm boots and see. I guess the large ones would fit me as well..

So far so good, I yet have to try them in the water but for 50€ they look like a great buy.
Regards

Last edited:
At the end I went for the accel's..today I recieved them.
View attachment 418626
From left to right, my girlfriend's accel size small0.58kg, my jetfin's xxlarge 1.60kg, my accel's xlarge 0.65kg. Almost 1kg less per fin (2lb 4oz less per fin aprox)
Even they are light the tip of the Accel has less flex than the Jetfin, size is almost the same with 1/3 the weight. Foot pocket is big, ( I am a size 12 US)so big I thought they would not fit me but with the 5mm boots they are ok, I have to try them with 3mm boots and see. I guess the large ones would fit me as well..

So far so good, I yet have to try them in the water but for 50€ they look like a great buy.
Regards
I'm also a size 12 US shoe. My 5mm boots are size 13. If you were me you'd get a L Accel and not XL?

This is difficult to say, the foot pocket is quite wide but has some flex. My foot from top to bottom fits perfectly but there is a 1/3" gap on each side of the foot pocket. Once I put the silicone strap on the gap reduces and the fin does not move. There is a 2" gap from the end of the bottom part of the fin foot pocket and the end of my xxl boots, where the strap rests. It feels confortable

I have tried my girlfriends fins and the opening of the foot pocket is perfect, but I have to push to get my foot to the end of the foot pocket, the fin size is an S/M. The foot pocket however is short for me though, there is a gap of 3" from the end of the bottom part of the fin foot pocket and the end of my xxl boots, where the strap rests. This would make them uncomfortable to use

So my guess is that the size L fin's foot pocket would fit me better, however the gap between the end of the bottom part of the fin foot pocket and the end of my xxl boots would be something in between 2 or 3", and I am just guessing here.

Some footpocket measures
XXL jetfins depth 28cm, width 12cm, height 9cm
XL Accel. depth 25cm, width 11.5cm, height 8,5cm
SM Accel. depth 22cm, width 11cm, height 7.5cm

My foot does not get to the end of the foot pocket on the xxl jetfins, size XL footpocket did fit me better but with the spring straps on was too tight.

Even you are size 12 like me our foot's shape can be quite differen; I would not say my feet are too wide and size xl for me is a keeper, but I also have the feeling size L would fit me as well, just in a different way.

Sorry if a confusing you, but it is confusing for me as well :)

Let me try to answer this another way. I recommend resisting the temptation to purchase another set of fins.
Most travel fins are lighter and lacking the thrust of most people's "every-day" fins.
Why pay a lot to travel and compromise your scuba skills/ability familiarity by going to a substandard fin?
When I travel, I take my regulator, computer, mask, fins and snorkel, wallet, jacket and one day change of clothes as carry on. I check-in the rest of my stuff (if any) but my vital gear is always with me. They can lose or mis-direct all my check-in stuff but I am NOT going to part with my dive gear for any reason. (This is similar to the fictional story about the secret agent that has to travel with a "secret and vital" cargo in a case and hand-cuffs it to himself until it gets to the destination. That is how I treat my dive gear on travel.) If they lose my luggage I can always buy cheap shoes, T-shirts and shorts anyplace I go. My dive gear is "priceless" as far as I'm concerned. I also recommend putting the fins separate in a clear vinyl bag and that way the airline people can clearly see what it is and realize that even if a little long, they can be tucked over, between and next to other carry on bags. Worse case if you get to the gate and they say, "Sorry, we need to take your bag/fins from you and put them into the cargo hold." At least you know it got on to the same flight with you. Lastly, your dive gear is extremely expensive stuff. A small carry-on bag of dive gear can easily amount to $3000 or more (Likely more). Does the airline cover all of it if lost?

The problem is I am also traveling with 4kg plus of photographic gear ( eos m3, ikelite housing 11-22 and 28 macro lenses plus a strobe). Only scuba gear I may take with me is my dive computer, prescription mask and a torch. If the airline looses my gear then I will have to rent it and use my travel insurance ( still have to find the right one).
My diving gear is worth less than a 1000$, the gear I take with me on the plane 4000$ plus.
May be my girlfriend will be able to carry both regulators but that is it, but I also heard that some airlines , specially in the Phillipines, do not allow them as carry on.

Let me try to answer this another way. I recommend resisting the temptation to purchase another set of fins.
Most travel fins are lighter and lacking the thrust of most people's "every-day" fins.
When I travel dive I wear a 2.5mm bootie. when I dive at home I wear big ass rock boots with my dry suit.
I need a different set of fins for traveling. if not I could fit both of my feet in 1 fin!

Back
Top Bottom