Negril diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DropkickMurphy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm a fairly experienced diver (~50 dives)- although most of it is low viz inland sort of stuff and relatively shallow- and my fiancee and I changed our plans for our honeymoon and are going to Negril rather than Hawaii. The reason for this thread is a little less "standard" than the "what dive operators should I dive with?" since I don't really like boat diving and especially don't like being told when to get out of the water when I still have time left and plenty of air in my tank just because some newbie sucked his tank dry in 20 minutes. No cattle boats for me thanks.

So here are my questions:
What are the good shore dives?

Are there any dive operators who aren't going to spoil a good dive by making me surface before I need to for safety reasons?

Are there good diving spots that are shallow enough (<30 feet) to allow my fiancee (not a "tank sucker" as she describes SCUBA) to snorkel and free dive with me? I'm completely comfortable diving alone since I am a big believer in being self-reliant because the only person you can totally trust in an emergency is yourself (the fact that I'm used to diving in water where you can't see anyone at more than arm's length so having a buddy is sort of pointless to begin with). However, I know she would like to have some fun in the water as well and would not appreciate my running off to go dive while on our honeymoon.

Are there any wrecks on that end of Jamaica?

Are there any absolutely "must see" spots that are worth the hassle of dealing with a boatload of tourists and being forced to buddy up with a total stranger?

Anyone?

If you want to do shore diving, you have to dive the cliff area of Negril (south of the beach). There are a few dive operators at the various hotels and they will let you shore dive your own profile on your own. The reefs there are mostly uneventful but they are shallow and close to shore and can be fun and for a novice diver and for snorkeling.

As far as boat dives are concerned, there are two small airplanes, one shallow and one deep at about 90'. The Throne Room is a pretty good dive as well. Most boat dives are very close to shore (5/10 min).

You may wish to contact Negril Scuba Centre. They have a dive shop on the premises of Negril Escape Resort, and there is a great reef there for snorkeling and shore-diving. However, I'm not sure if they will let you dive without a Dive Master.

I was in Negril for a week of diving in Nov. 2008, and shot this video. It is a combination of photos and video clips shot while shore-diving and boat-diving. I really liked the reefs in Negril; they are very nice with lots of color, just severely over-fished. It is not the place to go to see large marine animals:

[c][/c]

My wife and I are looking at Negril for an upcomming vacation also and have been trying to research the diving their. I've just not heard alot about it but have found by alot of info from....... Negril diving - GoodDive.com

Well dropkick I won't have a lot of good news for you... I have over 100 dives in Negril so I will tell you what I know. First Jamaican law requires at least a Divemaster with you - you are not allowed to go out on your own (or just a buddy). Normally profiles there are 30-40 min dives and they are very strict on your qualification (eg if you are only qualified to 60 feet - that IS the deepest you dive). The only shore diving is the one mentioned at the cliffs and you will have to go out with the pro, my logbook has it at 50 feet. Now if you hire the DM as a private guide, show your dive ability, he may allow you more freedom. The shore dive is a nice reef dive, but that is it. If you wish to see the "wrecks" you need to boat dive. There are 2 planes - a small Cessna at 60 feet and another at about 90 feet. The best wreck is the Tugboat around 95 feet off of Spadefish point. There is no mooring there so you need to have an experienced DM find it for you. If you are staying at an all inclusive diving is normally included. If you are not at an AI then I recommend Negril Scuba Center and Sundivers - located on opposite ends of 7 mile beach. Go to the sticky on Jamaica in this forum for more information or do a search on prior postings, there is information here on the board.

Nice video rainmaker, but I have to disagree with you on the larger marine life, I frequently see dolphins, nurseshark, barracuda and turtles.

Irie, mon!

Nice video rainmaker, but I have to disagree with you on the larger marine life, I frequently see dolphins, nurseshark, barracuda and turtles.

Irie, mon!

I was basing this opinion (by comparison) with the marine wildlife that I've seen in Bahamas, Mexico, Belize, Florida Keys, Costa Rica and Honduras.

Thanks for the kind words concerning the video.

Well dropkick I won't have a lot of good news for you... I have over 100 dives in Negril so I will tell you what I know. First Jamaican law requires at least a Divemaster with you - you are not allowed to go out on your own (or just a buddy).

I've never heard that before. I see how they could restrict that on a commercial boat operation, but not people in a privately owned boat or shore diving. (but then again I've never heard of folks shore diving there as I've only heard of using the resort boat or another commercial dive op).

Nice video rainmaker, but I have to disagree with you on the larger marine life, I frequently see dolphins, nurseshark, barracuda and turtles..

I've got to agree with rainmaker. not as much large marine life as in other places. saw a few turtles and I think maybe 1 nurse shark while there.

The reefs were in decent shape but fish population was light. Reefs weren't as "big" as they are in some other spots(countries), but it was defniately a good dive.

If folks are choosing a vacation spot completely on diving, then Jamacia wouldn't be my first choice. But it's still good diving while you're there in Negril. I had no complaints about it.

Well dropkick I won't have a lot of good news for you... I have over 100 dives in Negril so I will tell you what I know. First Jamaican law requires at least a Divemaster with you - you are not allowed to go out on your own (or just a buddy). Normally profiles there are 30-40 min dives and they are very strict on your qualification (eg if you are only qualified to 60 feet - that IS the deepest you dive). The only shore diving is the one mentioned at the cliffs and you will have to go out with the pro, my logbook has it at 50 feet. Now if you hire the DM as a private guide, show your dive ability, he may allow you more freedom. The shore dive is a nice reef dive, but that is it. If you wish to see the "wrecks" you need to boat dive. There are 2 planes - a small Cessna at 60 feet and another at about 90 feet. The best wreck is the Tugboat around 95 feet off of Spadefish point. There is no mooring there so you need to have an experienced DM find it for you. If you are staying at an all inclusive diving is normally included. If you are not at an AI then I recommend Negril Scuba Center and Sundivers - located on opposite ends of 7 mile beach. Go to the sticky on Jamaica in this forum for more information or do a search on prior postings, there is information here on the board.

Well it's a good thing that we decided to go somewhere else for our honeymoon instead. What a stupid ****ing law.....

Back
Top Bottom