Nekton Belize a big disappointment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yes, thanks ncdiver! Can I make a request? Instead of continuing to post on this same negative thread, can you start a new one? thanks!

my group is actually finally coming together with a plan for Nekton in April. Woo hoo!:D

robint

Every liveaboard operation has had an unfortunate experience at some point in its history. Some of those unfortunate experiences are due to a malfunction of the boat and some are due to things overwhich the liveaboard operation has no control - either government or weather. It sounds like Lemurs2 has some other agenda because the Nekton had absolutely no control over the Belize inspection authorities. The inspection was scheduled way in advance of any guests arriving, but the government dragged its feet and blamed recent bad weather setting them behind in their duties. That to castigate Nekton because of a Belize government failure is laughable. And to quote rumors without knowing the real facts is childish. And, Tridacna, to not book a trip on the Pilot because of one unfortunate experience is ludicrous - try it, you'll love it.

While I have been on a Nekton boat when there has been some malfunction, the crew went way out of their way to see to it we were all comfortable and things went well. That's the great thing about a Nekton boat - the crew. Every crew I've sailed with has been fabulous. The vast majority of new bookings on a Nekton vessel are returning guests.

Did anyone read the latest post on the latest Nekton dive trip in Belize? Seems like a very large group from NC had a fabulous week aboard the Nekton Pilot.

We were recently booked on the Nekton Pilot for Oct 20-27 and were very dissatisfied after having such a great time on the Nekton Rorqual in the Caymans last Aug.
The boat was delayed from leaving port on the 20th and left on Mon the 22nd in the evening. They were waiting on being inspected and after hearing a lot of different stories from what we were told and what the crew was saying the Belizian govt was suppossed to inspect on Sat morning but because of political redtape changed it to Mon. 1 crew member told us that they had been sitting in port for weeks so I don't understand why they didn't get inspected right away in case there was a problem.
They did put us on a day boat that took us to some sites that were pretty far so we could only do 2 dives a day for Sun and Mon. Our lunch on the day boat, prepared by the Nekton, consisted of unmade sandwichs, which is not a big problem, but the meat and cheese was frozen solid. 2 rooms had overflowing toilets for 2 days. There were cockroaches in the salon, kitchen and in our room. It was a full boat with a great group from Missouri who were a lot of fun. But I don't think they will book again.
The captain, Grant, never really addressed the group accept for 1 time and he spoke so quietly that no one could hear him. We asked him to speak up and he handed the floor over to John who was great. I'm not sure what role John had but he seemed the most helpful and professional. Unfortunately we heard a rumor that after our trip he immediately quit the Nekton and walked over to the Aggressor. Plus 3 other crew members quit.
The food wasn't nearly as good as the Rorqual which was good in a way because we didn't gain weight on the Pilot.
When closing out with the purser the day before the trip finished we were strongly encouraged to turn in our tips right then instead of the last day. Tipping was mentioned repeatedly.
Nothing seemed very organized. They didn't even list the dive sites on the board that was there. It was such a dissapointment compared to the the Rorqual under Captain Nelson and his crew. I think this crew was overloaded with too many special projects plus we also heard the Nekton crews are paid the least out of all the liveaboards in that area.
They did give us a free dvd for the delay on leaving port.
We had never dove Belize. Water temps were about 82F with some steep thermoclines, vis ranged from 10-60ft with an avg being 40ft. Lots of macro life and tropicals, a couple of turtles, eels, and a few rays. For that area we liked the Caymans better. For future liveaboards we will only book with Nelson's crew or with another dive company, which maybe more but it's worth it to leave on time and not miss out on dives.
Yes, I did send Nekton an email with our complaints
Every liveaboard operation has had an unfortunate experience at some point in its history. Some of those unfortunate experiences are due to a malfunction of the boat and some are due to things overwhich the liveaboard operation has no control - either government or weather. It sounds like Lemurs2 has some other agenda because the Nekton had absolutely no control over the Belize inspection authorities. The inspection was scheduled way in advance of any guests arriving, but the government dragged its feet and blamed recent bad weather setting them behind in their duties. That to castigate Nekton because of a Belize government failure is laughable. And to quote rumors without knowing the real facts is childish. And, Tridacna, to not book a trip on the Pilot because of one unfortunate experience is ludicrous - try it, you'll love it.

While I have been on a Nekton boat when there has been some malfunction, the crew went way out of their way to see to it we were all comfortable and things went well. That's the great thing about a Nekton boat - the crew. Every crew I've sailed with has been fabulous. The vast majority of new bookings on a Nekton vessel are returning guests.

Did anyone read the latest post on the latest Nekton dive trip in Belize? Seems like a very large group from NC had a fabulous week aboard the Nekton Pilot.

When I first read the comment that this particular thread was negative I was at first taken back.

I couldn't understand how someone exercising their right to post their comments, thoughts and impression might be viewed as a negative.

I do understand that it was directed towards a particular company which many of us have shared experiences of intense pleasure and enjoyment.

For many repeat customers, Nekton is not simply a liveaboard vessel, it's a large part of our dive culture.

That part of our dive culture that we do not want to see spoiled or stained in anyway. We have developed a sense of ownership of this company and it's operations.

We boast and compliment the service, the front office personnel who have served us some short term and other's long term.

We love the captain and the crew because they have worked their butts off to make our experience a memorable experience.

Yet, sometimes things happen that are opposite of what we (repeat coustomers) encounter.

Some people step onboard and they don't always have what we have.

They don't post their bad experiences, they simply live with it and move to another company and we never see them again.

In the long run that takes away from the company we love, because the company never has the opportunity to correct a perceived error or mistake.

The company never has the opportunity to make it right. Let me say this clearly: REPEAT customers are really good for any business, but MORE customers mean more locations and more boats.

We should never fault anyone for posting their perceptions of a trip. NEVER We don't have the right to tell anyone what they should or should not do. And we don't have the right to make it personal.

No personal attacks of what's laughable, ludicrous or attacks of people spreading rumors. Everyone in this or any public forum needs to feel free to ariticulate their experience as they see fit. That is their right.

I looked at this thread and found that the front office, John Dixon and Capt Nelson were very attentive to the perceptions of the company culture and they stood up and did something about it.

They didn't laugh it off, or denigrate the people who posted less than flattering reports.. They took solid action to remedy the situation and to address all rational concerns including my own.

As a result of someone strong enough to post their negative experience extraordinary steps were taken to eradicate any unprofessionalism among the crew and the operation in the future.

They have reestablish the nature of what this company stands for and what and where they want to go in the future. I applaud them for how they have responded to this board. I really do!

What I find distasteful is when someone is made to feel unwelcomed to post a unfavorable report because they may experience the repercussions of a personal attack.

Someone came on this board and called the original poster a liar, and after several post corroborated the account never came back to face the music.

We could do with less of that here as far as I'm concerned. In addition to all of the other great things I love about Nekton were the people I took trips with. The guests....On my first trip I had great trip mates...GREAT!!!

People I really enjoyed investing a share (7 days) of my life with. The culture is only as good as the people who partake of it.

I guess I find myself in agreement here with Robint.....it might just be time to lay this thread to rest because it just seemed to turn negative in the wrong way.

And yes, I am a freedom fighter...(my sense of humor showing)

It sounds like Lemurs2 has some other agenda ....That to castigate Nekton because of a Belize government failure is laughable. And to quote rumors without knowing the real facts is childish. And, Tridacna, to not book a trip on the Pilot because of one unfortunate experience is ludicrous - try it, you'll love it.
I think you can go to Scuba Diving magazine or some other industry shill for uniformly positive reviews. We come to Scubaboard for honest reviews, and we are smart enough and mature enough to put them in their proper perspective. Thanks to lemurs2 for posting his experience and kudos to Nekton and Capt. Nelson for addressing the issues he raised.

Um... this kind of post is doing more harm to Nekton than the OP, and as someone who really enjoys diving on the Nekton boats suggest you rethink.

The OP had a bad experience, they posted we heard from others who corroberated the facts, we heard from someone on the boat the perhaps the food on one trip was sub par, Nekton came forward took responsibility for a sub par trip ... everything is starting to look like this was a blip that every company has. Remember this was a return guest who had a great time on another trip - not someone with unrealistic expectations. Sometimes things just don't work out - nobody is perfect. As a business you do everything you can to make it right when such things happen and you take your lumps. Doesn't matter whose "fault" it is.

Then this post, which essentially ridicules the OP using words like laughable and then calls others childish and ludicrous. Sounding like someone who works for Nekton, but not willing to come out and say who they are. If you do work for Nekton IMHO you need to rethink your approach, if you don't then I think you need to say so as (again IMHO) you are tarnishing their reputation.

Um... this kind of post is doing more harm to Nekton than the OP, and as someone who really enjoys diving on the Nekton boats suggest you rethink.

The OP had a bad experience, they posted we heard from others who corroberated the facts, we heard from someone on the boat the perhaps the food on one trip was sub par, Nekton came forward took responsibility for a sub par trip ... everything is starting to look like this was a blip that every company has. Remember this was a return guest who had a great time on another trip - not someone with unrealistic expectations. Sometimes things just don't work out - nobody is perfect. As a business you do everything you can to make it right when such things happen and you take your lumps. Doesn't matter whose "fault" it is.

Then this post, which essentially ridicules the OP using words like laughable and then calls others childish and ludicrous. Sounding like someone who works for Nekton, but not willing to come out and say who they are. If you do work for Nekton IMHO you need to rethink your approach, if you don't then I think you need to say so as (again IMHO) you are tarnishing their reputation.

Actually they do work for Nekton and I think they said so in an earlier post. Anyhow the post was childish - I think the OP has been apologized to by Nekton and is satisfied with how things were handled.

Actually they do work for Nekton and I think they said so in an earlier post. Anyhow the post was childish - I think the OP has been apologized to by Nekton and is satisfied with how things were handled.

You certainly do get that impression, but if you read all reefexplorer's posts he/she never does say they work for Nekton. Just that he thinks they are wonderful:D and anyone who disagrees is something else.

You are right - I was wrong - in looking back I mistakenly thought reefexplorer was John (the employee who posted earlier).

As a new member, and someone who was on the same trip as Lemurs, I agree with Nesher that we should be allowed to come here and express our opinions and comments, whether good or bad. Of course being married to a man in the US Army for the last 16 years, I believe that we should always be allowed to express our opinions.
I am happy to hear that our experience the week of Oct 20-27 was isolated and that the next group, (2 people from our week stayed on), had a much better time.
Lemurs only issues were not the fact that we were delayed in leaving port for 2 days, but there were many other issues, such as crew not quite pulling it together. There was some questionable behavior by some in fact and this was a sentiment expressed by most, if not all of the guests there that week. I am part of the Missouri group Lemurs spoke of, and we did make up the majority of the people there.
Anyway I digress....I just wanted to say that this is a forum where anyone should be able to freely speak. Nesher have you gone on your trip yet? I trust you will have a wonderful time and I look forward to hearing all about it!

Melissa

Back
Top Bottom