Nekton big changes again???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ronscuba:
Contest ? Hey, I immediately have a 33% chance of winning.
Better than that, just grab the best of the 113,400 frames on your tape. :)

ronscuba:
I called Nekton to make my final payment for Belize Dec 8-15 trip. Found out there are only 3 divers booked my week.

I was hoping I'd get my own cabin, but only 3 guests will be weird. Hopefully more divers will book.

Hey, I shoot video and usually give my videos away for FREE to people I meet on the boat.

Not to worry, most people book for non-peak times at the last minute. I bet the boat will be at least half full when it gets closer. We would join you if we weren't already booked for a trip elsewhere.

Get some great videos to share!

robint

ronscuba:
I called Nekton to make my final payment for Belize Dec 8-15 trip. Found out there are only 3 divers booked my week.

I was hoping I'd get my own cabin, but only 3 guests will be weird. Hopefully more divers will book.

Hey, I shoot video and usually give my videos away for FREE to people I meet on the boat.

I would love to join you but we are going to Bonaire in early January 2008. Sometimes a diving club with jump onboard and fill 10 spots. This happened to us in Belize during Feb 2007.

I'd love to go myself but don't have enough vaca time left to do that!!!

Trwmodela:
It would be nice if Nekton provided a nice t-shirt to each customer. This could be used as advertizing if designed properly. I am even willing to pay for them. :) The three button golf shirts are nice but the cost ($55.00) is to high for most folks.
===============================================

In the early 90's they did give each guest a T-shirt. Still have mine. But like most things ...the cost of giving away merchandise became too expensive. Been on 6 Nekton trips now and just accepted the fact that each time I will get something new from their boutique.

'Slogger

I just got off the Pilot after spending a week with some friends and family doing the Cay Sal Bank itinerary (the sharks say hi to everyone :D)

Give me a chance to get caught up and I'll try to answer your questions in detail. Hopefully by the end of the day on Monday. Stand by!

Pam

Sorry for the delay guys....I was out on the Pilot for a week and got back this past weekend. Let's see...where to start..

Cayman - The current schedule has the Nekton Pilot doing the Cayman Island itinerary starting November 2009.

Medio Reef - Straight from the horse's (Nekton's president) mouth -
Medio Reef is an underwater sea mount located on the western edge of the Great Bahama Bank. Medio Reef was discovered by Nekton in the development of the Cay Lobos itinerary. It was a one day stop on the way to Cay Lobos. It has been an immensely popular 1 day stop and after many guest requests, Nekton has developed the Medio reef itinerary to provide several additional days to fully immerse one’s self in the wonder that is Medio Reef.

Medio Reef features spectacular shallow diving including mini-walls that rise out of 50 to 60 feet to within 25 feet of the surface. The sea mount is much too large for a single dive and it is possible to make a dive on the plateau and not realize that you are even on an underwater seamount. The plateau is coral covered and features dense fish and pelagic populations of all manners giving the illusion of diving in a tropical aquarium. The miles of edging to the seamount varies from a very distinctive sharp break into a 20’ to 40’ mini-wall with a flat base to rolling and sloping shoulder reefs all of which provides interesting terrain and habitat for the resident biomass.

The relatively shallow diving in gin clear water provides a color experience for all divers and a photographer’s paradise. Because of the easy shooting conditions even newbie photogs will see professional type results. The extreme remoteness and uncharted location has resulted in a virgin dive destination only visited by a few fortunate Nekton guests. Be one of those few to experience Medio Reef.

Belize - We are currently not scheduled to return to Belize after April 2009 so if you want to dive with Nekton in Belize, I would get that trip scheduled before then.

Website - I agree with you wholeheartedly about the website needing to be accurate and I am passing this on to the powers to be. You can always call me if you need to know something...I love to talk to you guys.

Cay Lobos - Realistically it is better as a 10 day trip because of the distance travelled. We are doing two 10 day trips this year. In the years following we are doing it once a year (also notice the 10 day Expedition Diving trip - no set itinerary but out diving virgin territory and looking for new dive sites)

Pacific - It's the dream of all of us to have a boat in the Pacific. It would do great we think. Know any investors with deep pockets...just have them call me :rofl3:

Liveaboard in North Carolina - What a great idea. I don't know if anything will come of it but I'll pass along the suggestion. Sometimes things aren't as simply as they seem.

Nekton Shirts - No comment but I'll pass along yours :wink:

I hope this covers everything. If not, let me know. BTW - I'm going on the Thanksgiving first trip of the new PR/USVI itinerary if you don't have anything to do, come join me.

Hi Pam,
Thanks for all the great info. :D I guess this means we can't put off the Belize trip anymore and will have to wait on the Caymans.

BTW, we never did get a report from you on your Belize trip... how was it? Hearing that you did the Cay Sal trip again means you must really like it. Wish we could join you in Nov....
But as for all your trips.... Details, girl, we want details!!!

robin:D

Thanks for the info Pam, it's great to hear a few details about Medio. :D Can you tell me if there's any idea about how many dives will be on Medio during the week?

It sounds like it would be a good compliment to either the NW Bahama or Cay Sal itineraries if considering a back-to-back trip....which is again what we're thinking (as you already know).

I agree 100% about updating the site. I had previously read about the Medio site, but when it came time to book, I completely forgot about that and went straight to picking a date and then choosing the itinerary.

I know that had I asked, Pam would have been full of information regarding it, but without easy to find updates, it just didn't register to me to ask.

Do want to thank Pam as she is always extremely helpful when trying to decide between locations---full of information and when you end the call, you are already invisioning yourself at sea (and our next trip is not until July 08! :(

Thanks again Pam!

(Michelle aka Mickie)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom