Nekton boats may come back!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OMG, are you kidding? There is a group of us that went on the Nekton many times and loved it. We are so sad that it has been gone, and we were just talking about it again today. Please, please bring back the Nekton!!

I was the chief engineer on the pilot just after Chris left. I loved that boat. Knew it backwards and forwards engineering wise. Would love to see them both come back. But the pilot may not, as it was the older of two. I was in on the replacement and rebuild of the main engines when we were in ship and in the gulf ship yard Sure miss those oyster the shipyard boys brought in every day. Would love to hear more about where the boats are now

When it comes to those boats making a comeback, the first rule of Scuba applies: Don't hold your breath!

They're still in the Gulf County Shipbuilders yard - rusting/rotting away.

Is that the Pilot that's down on one side?

Webcams

Last edited:
They were expensive to take a trip on! I got to go on the next to the last Pilot trip. The boat was a hot mess.

Was the Pilot in dry dock before the Rorqual? I was on the second-to-last Nekton trip ever, if I remember correctly, but I think it was the Rorqual not the Pilot. From what I understood the Rorqual was in better shape but that was kind of a scary thought!

But, as bad a shape as the boat was in, I still remember my trips fondly!!

They were expensive to take a trip on! I got to go on the next to the last Pilot trip. The boat was a hot mess.

Was the Pilot in dry dock before the Rorqual? I was on the second-to-last Nekton trip ever, if I remember correctly, but I think it was the Rorqual not the Pilot. From what I understood the Rorqual was in better shape but that was kind of a scary thought!

But, as bad a shape as the boat was in, I still remember my trips fondly!!
There was a rebreather trip after my trip and mine and the rebreather trip were most definitely on the Pilot. The Rorqual was already out of commission at that time. Looking at old e-mails, my trip was August 2009 to Cay Sal Banks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom