Neopreme...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

plsander:
Ante -- Before
Anti -- Against
Sorry i meant the same word anti (US pronounce an-tI, English pronounce an-te), nothing to do with ante the word. Thought i had given enough examples of similar words to make the meaning clearer, like semi, demi, hemi.

sndt1319:
I am from Oregon and no-one who isn't from the PNW can say the state right. It is Or-e-gon not Or-E-gon. It is a soft e not a hard E. The Willamette River and Valley also give people trouble. But the most infuriating part about it is when someone who has never been to the state argues with you on the pronunciation. I swear people must think we are all stupid out here because they use the slowest possible pronuciation when refering to places out here.

How about Puyallup (Pew-al-up), WA? That's a sure way to spot on out-of-towner. "Excuse me, can you tell me how to get to Pu-yall-up?" :wink:

mm ;-)

Green_Manelishi:
And it's measured in MILLIMETERS, MM, thousandths of a meter, not MIL, which is thousandths of an inch.

Ok I have to put my two cents in here. People come from different areas and say different things. I moved to Pennsylvania (home of the liberal phu%ks) and they say CRICK when they mean CREEK. Long E, pronounce it with me. Don't judge a person's intelligence by how they talk, as I talk like a typical southerner without quite the accent that I used to have. I'm an Oracle Database Administrator, and I went to college for Chemical Engineering (meaning I took more chemistry than the chemistry majors, as much math as the math majors, as much physics as the physics majors along with Mechanical, Electrical and Industrial engineering courses). You know what, I'm from Tennessee, I grew up working on my grandfathers' (plural here, pay attention to the punctuation) farms and I can drive the biggest tractors, remember plenty of blisters on my hands from cutting tobacco and worked my a$$ till I couldn't sit down. People are always quick to judge intelligence when they often don't have a clue themselves. Wake up and smell the coffee, if you wanted to be President, then go out and become President, but until you do so, why don't you shut your traps, put your regulator in your mouth and stick to what you are good at, because being a critic is not one of them. I've seen plenty of intelligent conversations here, but along with them I've noticed that often some of the worst English is incorporated into those debates. People are who they are, we are all different and if we were all formed form the same mold, this country would be an extremely boring, mundane and in lay-man's terms stupid, place. Consider yourselves lucky that we can find a common ground to stand upon and put aside our differences because of our love for the last domain that is relatively un-explored. This isn't kindergarten any more folks.

Semi Monthly, Bi Monthly....

Get a grip, people.

Semi-monthly (semi-annual, etc.) = every other month / year.

Bi-monthly = twice a month.

Thank you.

Mo2vation:
Semi-monthly (semi-annual, etc.) = every other month / year.

There are thousands of web sites & forms, official institutions, banks etc, that do not agree with your definition...

Example: Kentucky labor laws - .... While semi-monthly employees are paid on the 15th and at the end of each month..

Example on
http://www.payroll.com/resources/newhire/new_payperiods.html
The third step is to determine the length of your payroll periods. A payroll period may cover one day, one week, two weeks, half a month, one month, one quarter, or one year. Respectively, these periods are referred to as daily, weekly, bi-weekly, semi-monthly, monthly, quarterly, and yearly.

miketsp:
There are thousands of web sites & forms, official institutions, banks etc, that do not agree with your definition...

Example: Kentucky labor laws - .... While semi-monthly employees are paid on the 15th and at the end of each month..

Example on
The third step is to determine the length of your payroll periods. A payroll period may cover one day, one week, two weeks, half a month, one month, one quarter, or one year. Respectively, these periods are referred to as daily, weekly, bi-weekly, semi-monthly, monthly, quarterly, and yearly.
Got to agree with Mike on this one Ken, semi - half (half a year or half a month), bi - two (every two weeks, two months, two years). I believe in 1998 or so Australia had their bicentennial - two hundred years since the country was "discovered" as an example. Now what if i were to mention a "fortnight", those who watch Wimbledon tennis might have a clue, but others at a complete loss, yet it is a common word in the UK - means two weeks (fourteen nights).

As for MM and mm, Mega Metres (1x10^6 m) and millimetre (1x10^-6 m), again often abbreviated to mils (just like you say for 1/1000").

Here's my pet peeve - "GUAGE" instead of "GAUGE" - it's amazing how many supposedly educated folks write this . . .

if you have doubts, go to Ebay's scuba pages and do a search using "guage".

I've seen this all over in the petroleum and maritime industries too - even with folks who posess certificates claiming they've received university level education in science or engineering. Oddly enough, it's more often right on things flying non-US flags than the other way around in my experience.

Oh, and sometimes it's shortened to "GAGE", which still starts my tic, but less annoying than GUAGE!!!!

My Ford Ranger had an idiot light that read "check gage". When I discovered that, I toyed with the idea of taking it back to the dealer to have it fixed. (hey! It was still under warranty!)

miketsp:

Example on

I don't have a job... :wink:

K

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom