Neoprene Neck Seal vs Silicone

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's just opinion, everyone has a preference. I have limited experience with a neoprene neck seal but wasn't a fan. Didn't like having to fold it over and still got wet a little each time I dived it. I now have a Quick Neck system with a silicone seal and I've never gotten a drop in, and its comfortable and easy to stretch over head. Can also change quickly if I need to, so far haven't needed to.

@rob.mwpropane,

I would recommend installing the si-tech quick neck system....you could then choose to use your choice of material for neck seal. Si-tech and Waterproof even have a neoprene neck seal that is compatible with the system so if you find that you do not like using the silicone seal or just want the warmth that the neoprene seal offers it is easy to switch back to it...no glue, no fuss.

You may find that you have better luck with your wrist seals if you powder them with talc before donning. I have an old dress sock with talcum/baby powder in it and the sock is knotted to keep it contained...it is stored in my save-a-dive kit in a zip-lock bag. I use it as dabber to dust my wrist and neck seals prior to donning my suit.

-Z

A new neoprene suit is a lot cheaper in the long run, old neoprene will die at some point and the seams will start leaking, you’ll have a few months to keep using the old one.

I have an old pinnacle black ice with the neck rings installed, I’m tired of chasing down seam leaks and the zipper leaks we’ll pay shipping and I’ll send it to you to salvage the neck system if you want it.

Which neck ring system? I would be very much inclined to get it. Thank you VERY much. Please get a shipping quote to 21013 and let me know. Can you email me some pics?

My neo suit was born in 2016, so hopefully it's got a bunch of life left. There's no leaks at all except when it burps, but that's on me to an extent. (now watch this weekend be a total S show:)).

It's just opinion, everyone has a preference. I have limited experience with a neoprene neck seal but wasn't a fan. Didn't like having to fold it over and still got wet a little each time I dived it. I now have a Quick Neck system with a silicone seal and I've never gotten a drop in, and its comfortable and easy to stretch over head. Can also change quickly if I need to, so far haven't needed to.

Is it colder than the neo? What temps were you diving?

My local hole stays a frigid 42f, so that has me a little concerned.

@rob.mwpropane,

I would recommend installing the si-tech quick neck system....you could then choose to use your choice of material for neck seal. Si-tech and Waterproof even have a neoprene neck seal that is compatible with the system so if you find that you do not like using the silicone seal or just want the warmth that the neoprene seal offers it is easy to switch back to it...no glue, no fuss.

You may find that you have better luck with your wrist seals if you powder them with talc before donning. I have an old dress sock with talcum/baby powder in it and the sock is knotted to keep it contained...it is stored in my save-a-dive kit in a zip-lock bag. I use it as dabber to dust my wrist and neck seals prior to donning my suit.

-Z

I didn't know they also made neo inserts. I haven't seen them on Seaskin's website, but I guess they offer them elsewhere. I'll take a look, thanks!

Is it colder than the neo? What temps were you diving?

My local hole stays a frigid 42f, so that has me a little concerned.

I dove at our local quarry last weekend and bottom temp was 41 degrees. My neck wasnt cold. I'm sure the neoprene directly ON the neck is somewhat warmer than the silicone, but my neck has never been cold. My drysuit does have the "warm neck" neoprene collar seen on a lot of drysuits, not sure if yours does, and because its not very tight at all I am not sure how much difference this makes. Water gets between the collar and the seal so I can't say it really insulates. Might be more protection on surface than underwater... Picture below of the drysuit I have - stock pic, not mine - so you know what I am talking about.

otter-dry-suits-atlantic.jpg

Paging @stuartv - I believe at one point he had installed a neoprene seal on a ring system.

I dove at our local quarry last weekend and bottom temp was 41 degrees. My neck wasnt cold. I'm sure the neoprene directly ON the neck is somewhat warmer than the silicone, but my neck has never been cold. My drysuit does have the "warm neck" neoprene collar seen on a lot of drysuits, not sure if yours does, and because its not very tight at all I am not sure how much difference this makes. Water gets between the collar and the seal so I can't say it really insulates. Might be more protection on surface than underwater... Picture below of the drysuit I have - stock pic, not mine - so you know what I am talking about.

View attachment 614302

I have a northern diver divemaster sport (no I am not a divemaster, lol) like this;

divemaster-sport-drysuit-mKQB.jpg

Here is one labeled by aqualung, but I have seen the same product on the web as si-tech and by waterproof.

-Z

?

I have never installed a neck ring on a drysuit, so I don't know how difficult of a task it is or how much it varies from suit to suit, wish I could help you!

Back
Top Bottom