Neutral Buoyancy Hovering

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had to learn good (never perfect) bouyancy for cave diving. I use these techniques:

First put just enough air in your bc to feel weightless. Add air very slowly because the point is very exact. Then breathe in and out and see if you don't move much.

Then pick a spot, any spot and dwel on it. But don't make the spot that hunk diving in the group. They will be moving. Pick a spot on the pool wall, the place where the float ends and the rope starts, etc.

Trust me, it works.

Last edited:
Hovering is a training exercise where a not yet certified diver controls their buoyancy just with their lungs. finning or sculling are not allowed, so the "loose lotus position" allows one to grab the end of the fins, thus eliminating any finning or sculling.

Swimming underwater is a 4-dimensional experience. This preocupation with "all things horizontal" is silly. One can have good trim when needed and also do many things not horizontal but still be in control of buoyancy. :shakehead:

My OW/DM/IDC instructors all stated "an easy way NOT to fin or scull is to hold the end of your fins, but as long as you can hover without finning or sculling the skill is completed."

If you understand buoyancy control with your lungs this is a simple exercise. Just get it done and then you can work on your full cave diver deco trim in your next class. :idk:

I never had any specific "hover in the column" requirement during my checkout dives. Well, none that I was aware of anyway. My instructor did mention that he thought I was doing well with it during my dives but never mentioned it as a specific check-off skill.

The only thing we did during pool sessions even remotely like this were fin pivots.

I second halemanō's response. We had to demonstrate boyancy control by hovering for one full minute. Our instructor explicitly described the upright-and-holding-fins directive was only a suggestion to prevent us newbs from flailing our arms and legs in the water.

Well I do know it will be a requirement in our 4th dive since it's on our list of skills.

I too was thinking if you put yourself in a lotus position your center of gravity will determine where your head ends up so to speak. It is a PADI course so if I'm hovering but not with my head pointed to the surface I guess I'll see what they say about that. Hopefully if they want my head "up" they will help me adjust my center of gravity and not just fail me!

BTW...what happens if you fail a skill during the PADI checkout dives. Do you have to take all the open water dives over or take the whole course (class/pool/ow) over? I didn't think to ask that during our pool work.

Well I do know it will be a requirement in our 4th dive since it's on our list of skills.

I too was thinking if you put yourself in a lotus position your center of gravity will determine where your head ends up so to speak. It is a PADI course so if I'm hovering but not with my head pointed to the surface I guess I'll see what they say about that. Hopefully if they want my head "up" they will help me adjust my center of gravity and not just fail me!

BTW...what happens if you fail a skill during the PADI checkout dives. Do you have to take all the open water dives over or take the whole course (class/pool/ow) over? I didn't think to ask that during our pool work.

You're probably over-thinking this. Unless your instructor has covered buoyancy and trim extensively and has worked on it with you (including this "Lotus Position"), there's little chance you'll be failed for not being able to reproduce it.

He can only test what he taught, and teaching means that he has imparted the knowledge of how to perform the task and has verified that you can do it, and not simply let you watch him.

I'd be willing to bet that if you can maintain any reasonable level of neutral buoyancy, you'll pass.

flots.

My PADI neutral buoyancy test was along the lines of a fin pivot, but (with tips of fins on the bottom) maintaining a 45 degree angle forward. I didn't feel like I did very well because my female physiology meant every breath changed my position by 5-10 degrees in either direction. But at least it was consistent, and my instructor (male) seemed to understand my "issue" and I was told I did well. Was he lying? Does it matter? OW only teaches you basic skills- it's up to you to take the time (and possibly classes) to hone that skill.

we have our students kneel on top of a bus and inflate their bc's both orally and with the inflator until they hover in the kneeling position for a few seconds and let them back down. That being said in the pool they go through a rather nasty neutral buoyancy drill which is a prereq for their OWT.
in 12ft approach weight belt. Over weight belt, hover to count of 5. Ascend to 4 feet and hover for 5. Descent and put a 10lb weight belt on without using the inflator and while hovering. Ascent to 4 feet, no inflator use. Count to 5. Descent back to 12ft without using inflator, count to 5. Drop weight belt while hovering. Count to 5. 360* Helicopter turn while staying 1 foot off of bottom and back scull to the line. Needless to say it's a comical drill the first time they do it, but they all eventually get it.
Yay for having college courses where we can be as mean as we want

we have our students kneel on top of a bus and inflate their bc's both orally and with the inflator until they hover in the kneeling position for a few seconds and let them back down. That being said in the pool they go through a rather nasty neutral buoyancy drill which is a prereq for their OWT.
in 12ft approach weight belt. Over weight belt, hover to count of 5. Ascend to 4 feet and hover for 5. Descent and put a 10lb weight belt on without using the inflator and while hovering. Ascent to 4 feet, no inflator use. Count to 5. Descent back to 12ft without using inflator, count to 5. Drop weight belt while hovering. Count to 5. 360* Helicopter turn while staying 1 foot off of bottom and back scull to the line. Needless to say it's a comical drill the first time they do it, but they all eventually get it.
Yay for having college courses where we can be as mean as we want

10 additional pounds while hovering and not adding air to your BC? Dude you are going to have to show me that one on Sat. I am darn good at it and I seriously doubt I can handle 10 lbs, esp considering the average TOTAL bouyancy shift of an average males lungs is around 12 lbs. Guess I have something to test at the pool tonight....we will see. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom