Neutrally buoyant AL80 3300 vs regular AL80

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

427HEVN once bubbled...
of your 6061 aluminum tank, you're getting ripped off according to Luxfer's own press release (section 2) release

Until Luxfer starts filling tanks here, I've gotta do what I've gotta do to get fills.

It would be very difficult for me to justify owning my own compressor.

Don Burke once bubbled...

Until Luxfer starts filling tanks here, I've gotta do what I've gotta do to get fills.

It would be very difficult for me to justify owning my own compressor.

Yes it would, but if all your LDS's are screwing their customers, starting a local air club might be a good plan....

James

I got a vis at my local fire safety joint for $4. There was an extra sticker that said it had received eddie current testing, so I guess that is the Vis Plus you're referring to. Hydro at this place was $15.

From what I understand, these places are pretty common, much cheaper, and I hear many dive shops simply take the tanks to one of these places and charge us poor folks roughly twice their cost.

Let me know if I'm missing the point here.

crawford once bubbled...
I got a vis at my local fire safety joint for $4. There was an extra sticker that said it had received eddie current testing, so I guess that is the Vis Plus you're referring to. Hydro at this place was $15.

From what I understand, these places are pretty common, much cheaper, and I hear many dive shops simply take the tanks to one of these places and charge us poor folks roughly twice their cost.

Let me know if I'm missing the point here.

I'll look into that. Perhaps the dive shops won't accept that, maybe they will.

Thanks.

The place I get mine inspected does air fills as well, so if I had any problem at the LDS, I could get my local fills at the fire safety place. The fills are $6.50 compared to $5.00 at the LDS, but most of my diving is done at locations out of town (quarry, etc.) that have their own compressors, etc. So far, no problems at all.

The stickers at the fire safety place aren't as pretty as you get at the LDS, though. You have to really weigh the pro's and con's....:D

crawford once bubbled...
The place I get mine inspected does air fills as well, so if I had any problem at the LDS, I could get my local fills at the fire safety place. The fills are $6.50 compared to $5.00 at the LDS, but most of my diving is done at locations out of town (quarry, etc.) that have their own compressors, etc. So far, no problems at all.

The stickers at the fire safety place aren't as pretty as you get at the LDS, though. You have to really weigh the pro's and con's....:D

I've got some tanks I use for air only, so having a fire safety place do them may work out for that.

Nitrox fills may not be so simple.

One of the local city fire departments sends their tanks to the dive shop I use to get visuals, so there may not be much savings to be had. Of course they may be giving the fire department a special price.

I have a neutral 80, I like the fact that it doesn't go positive, lets me take weight off my belt.

BUT

I never get 3300

at best I get 2800 after a hot fill from some jerk off shooting it up to 3400 and its so damn hot you can barely touch the tank.

A normal fill I usually get about 2900, 400 psi short.

I'm going to switch to LP steel.

My buddy swears by these. but I've been skeptical.
Ya have to be standing there to get the 3300 fill or they will fill to 3000. He claims that he took off 3 lbs, and he probably did.
I've tried to to talk him into steel but......too expensive I think.

Of course a normal AL80 with a 3 lb weight on the cam strap has the identical buoyancy characteristics, gets a good fill and costs significantly less...

Roak

roakey once bubbled...
Of course a normal AL80 with a 3 lb weight on the cam strap has the identical buoyancy characteristics, gets a good fill and costs significantly less...

Roak

My NB80 gets 3300 nearly every time I get it filled...and my tank cost only $10 more than the normal 80's....

Maybe its because I'm a decent negotiator and loyal customer. :)

Back
Top Bottom