Never Been to Hawai'i

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmmmm.... what do you guys think. I know a bunch of others will chime in:

... one island really thoroughly in 8 days.

I agree with the above.

As to which one, I would go to Hawai'i (the big island).

Besides scuba every morning, I would go dry-land caving with my scuba cave light(s).

And check out the 2 volcanoes.

And the Green Sand Beach.

And snorkel with dolphins at the Cook monument.

And horseback riding.

And ski Hawai'i (and get the T-shirt).

Make sure you rent a 4WD so you can go everywhere in the afternoons.

And make sure you abide by the NOAA ascent-to-altitude-after-diving charts so that you don't get bent on the way up the mountains.

8 Days is barely enough to see the big island alone.

well having done oahu only afew times seems like to me you would speak on something you know. so lets see you telling me you dove sharks cove. and it wasnt a good dive you dove three tables and it wasnt a good dive. um lets see you dove the wall. blow hole. fantasy reef. guess you didnt see the monk seals oh well. and im sure you went to ko'olina (spell check lol) where some of the most awsome reef on this Island is yep. theres much more to diving oahu then kewalo basin ship wrecks but since you only been diving here afew times you wouldnt know that. see i never been to any of the other islands which is why i spoke only on what I know. which is also why i didnt say go here or there. have you ever seen the reef between the shore and the Y.O.? well I have because I shore dove the Y.O and got the opertunity to see some awsome reef and rock formations. Im not trying to sell anything or help out my buddies dive shop. just letting the guy know the diving here is great you just need to get out more.

well having done oahu only afew times seems like to me you would speak on something you know. so lets see you telling me you dove sharks cove. and it wasnt a good dive you dove three tables and it wasnt a good dive. um lets see you dove the wall. blow hole. fantasy reef. guess you didnt see the monk seals oh well. and im sure you went to ko'olina (spell check lol) where some of the most awsome reef on this Island is yep. theres much more to diving oahu then kewalo basin ship wrecks but since you only been diving here afew times you wouldnt know that. see i never been to any of the other islands which is why i spoke only on what I know. which is also why i didnt say go here or there. have you ever seen the reef between the shore and the Y.O.? well I have because I shore dove the Y.O and got the opertunity to see some awsome reef and rock formations. Im not trying to sell anything or help out my buddies dive shop. just letting the guy know the diving here is great you just need to get out more.
Sounds great -- you dive Shark's Cove and Three Tables in the winter? Exciting stuff! Gotta love North Shore conditions.

I've dove Magic Island (the only magic there was whatever protected us from getting infected with more diseases currently known to man), Baby Barge, Angler's Reef, Turtle Canyon and Koko Craters.

Both Angler's Reef and Turtle Canyon were billed as some of the nicest coral and fish life that could be found around Oahu. A sand dive (i.e. avoiding main reef systems) off Maui is more likely to produce an enjoyable dive with more to see.

You admit not having been to the other islands -- I'm not calling Maui the best for diving... but those I know that have been diving here and the islands I haven't been to have been pretty clear in saying that Maui was "ok" in comparison.

In comparison to Oahu, Maui lives up to "no ka oi".

I guess what I'm saying is that if you're on Oahu and want to dive, go for it. But if you're figuring out which island to plan a *dive* vacation to, you probably won't miss much to avoid Oahu and hit up the Big Island, Kauai or Maui.

ok pay attention theres a test later if you read the fine print you will notice that he says planning a trip in april. dont think april is winter on anyones calender. yours? in my mind i think if conditions allowing in spring a couple norh shore dives would be awsome. when you say turttle canyon i take it you mean the one east of diamondhead. koko crator yea aint much to look at but lots of sea life. dont know the conditions the day you were diving in that area but fantasy reef is a spectacular dive. as well as the sea caves (conditions allowing) and the wall is another awsome drift dive. now had you gone to the turttle canyon west of the light house you would have been treated with some cool canyons. too many turttles to keep up with frog fish and all kinds of sea life. you know maybe its just that each person has their own perception of what makes a dive great. dove this one guy on horseshoe reef showed him the turttles. and handed him an octopus and for him it was the greatest dive he had ever been on. showed another diver a dragon eel and that made it his best dive ever so i guess it is up to the dive op to make the dives great.

ok test time: the person that started this thread said they were planing a trip to hawaii. when?

diving season in north shore genrally opens when?

if you answered april to both questions you get an A if you missed one or both questions hmmm maybe a career change is order.

"no ka oi". umm ..... question was I supposed to understand that? well dont know the language and not trying to learn any new ones. I only speak english the L.A. version. I been here ten years and still dont know mahalo means. so if you could enlighten me i would be thankful. just incase i should see it again.

"no ka oi". umm ..... question was I supposed to understand that? well dont know the language and not trying to learn any new ones. I only speak english the L.A. version. I been here ten years and still dont know mahalo means. so if you could enlighten me i would be thankful. just incase i should see it again.
I'm not sure where to start with this.

I guess I'll just say that "Maui No Ka Oi" -- that's the phrase used to describe it here, and overall, it holds true. Basically: "Maui is the best."

If you've been in HI for 10 years and haven't bothered to pick up any of the local language / traditions, I feel sorry for you. But at the same time, it's people with that attitude that give us haoles a bad name.

Well Kris ... we reach lokahi, for a change.

um excuse me what you mean "us haoles" aint no "us" homeboy its "you haoles" not us. i dont need to learn a new language.and if i did it would be japanese. feel sorry for me lol man feel sorry for yourself. you calling your self a haole dont you know when locals call you that its not ment to be nice. now i can see how you ended up diving the worst sites on the island.
you might want to stop now. before you further damage you intellectual image any further. and i take it you couldnt anwser either question. so im thru with this thread.

um excuse me what you mean "us haoles" aint no "us" homeboy its "you haoles" not us. i dont need to learn a new language.and if i did it would be japanese. feel sorry for me lol man feel sorry for yourself. you calling your self a haole dont you know when locals call you that its not ment to be nice. now i can see how you ended up diving the worst sites on the island.
you might want to stop now. before you further damage you intellectual image any further. and i take it you couldnt anwser either question. so im thru with this thread.
Look up haole. Differing definitions abound -- the most reliable describes a haole as anyone that isn't local. That describes you better than me.

Around here, the term 'haole' can be used in both nice, and not-nice manners. Again -- it would be good of you to learn some of the local mannerisms... although this is truly just showing your ignorance more than anything else.

Let's just say, your answers weren't worth my time. April is still known for having northern swells come in more often than south swells. Besides, you were asking if *I* had dove them. My trips to Oahu have been during the late-fall / winter months -- *not* the time to be trying to dive the north shore.

I'm not the only one to bring this view -- I know of several people who live on Oahu but won't dive unless they're on the neighbour islands... to them, it's just not worth getting a tank and driving to the dive site and getting in the water off Oahu.

man you are absolutly right i hear locals calling blacks haole all the time. yes sir happens all the time. why just yesterday........

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom