new aqua-lung mistral

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jcarpini

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Any body out there try the new mistral? I dive a Royal Aquamaster. but I am considering the new mistral because I can attach a din to the titan 1st stage and use it on my HP tanks. just wondering how it really compairs and performs

I have no personal experience with the new Mistral, but the reviews I've read by those who have dived it indicate that they were very disappointed in it.

Same here, but no one I know of likes it. Do yourself a favor and get a Phoenix or the MK-3. Either are a much better solution, can handle the pressure, give you the ports you want and you keep the classic looks of the RAM/DA

I don't own a new Mistral, but I have dove one. For starters I personally didn't care for the mouth piece arrangement. The Spiro Mistral and the Polish Kaiman I own accomplish the same adjustability in a smaller, more comfortable, yet just as effiecient package. Heck, the Hope Page mouth piece I have on my Healthways Scuba is better and breaths just as well. If your Royal has the new silicone diaphragm and mouth piece valves it will perform a lot better then the new Mistral too. Herman is quite correct. Going the Phoenix or the new MK3 would be a much better option. I cannot comment on a DIN conversion for either reg, but I know they can both handle 3500 psi service. I own both the Phoenix and the MK3 and they both rock, IMHO.

I have one of the New Mistrals, and can't say I'm that impressed with it. Some of my backpacks interfere with the length and offset nature of the regulator and I had to mount it upside down. Actually, I never dive it since I like the DA Aquamaster, original Mistral, and the Mk3 much, much better.

The New Mistral also tended to leak air when in certain positions or if moving quickly in the water. I guess it could be desensitized, but that would defeat part of its supposed purpose. The diaphragm needed to be more sheltered from current.

I would recommend the Mk3 if you want to go with a DIN adapter since it is as compact as can be. Last I heard, there were only a few left.

Any body out there try the new mistral? I dive a Royal Aquamaster. but I am considering the new mistral because I can attach a din to the titan 1st stage and use it on my HP tanks. just wondering how it really compairs and performs

I have two of the new Mistrals, or as I call them Mistral 2. They are both DIN and tank position is not a problem depending on the BC. One is good (it is still factory setup) and I have 50 + dives on it. The other I bought I used on the Bay and it was in need of a full rebuild. Now a word on caution, most Tecs don't have a clue about these regs, or any double hose for that mater so if you get it rebuilt good luck. My guy does and we worked hard to get it right.Any how, the mouth piece is great! It is a little big but it also passes a lot of air, which is a good thing because I have been down to 118' in current with out getting starved for air. The big question is it as good or better then YOUR RAM? That's a good question, RAMs can be excellent breathers when done right, so you have a couple of questions to answer.

I can tell you that I now own a Mossback MK3 which I have tweaked to an extremely low .4-.5 on my Manehelic and I don't see the Mistral hitting that low any time soon. But I am working on a mod to make the Mistral work like it should.

Take a look at my review at http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/regulators/306272-upgrade-modern-doublehose-regulator.html

Oldmossback has done an admirable job on this new old reg. I love it!!!

Last edited:
The problem with the new Mistral is not the cracking suction. I have one that I have adjusted the cracking suction to about 0.5 inWC. The problem is that it doesn’t have any venturi effect.

Most any decent regulator can be adjusted to have low cracking suction. Any of my RAM and Phoenix RAM are adjusted to between 0.5 in WC and 0.7 inWC, but as soon as I start sucking the inhalation suction goes down… often close to zero and if I tune them too sensitive they will easily go beyond zero to a light positive pressure.

After any dive when I am out of the water, I suck on my regulator and immediately take it out of my mouth to induce a strong free flow and dry the hoses (the free flow will sustain itself until I block the mouthpiece). You will never be able to do that with a regulator that doesn’t have a strong venturi… like the new Mistral.

I can probably modify the second stage of the new Mistral to induce a venturi, but I have too many other projects in front of it. A quick inspection of the second stage and I was able to see a couple of design flaws.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom