new aqua-lung mistral

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I sounded rude, I am sorry, that was not my intent.
My point is they are pretty much the same thing. While the designers used a different approaches, they both accomplished the same result- adding HP & LP ports and upgrading the first stage with modern parts and yoke. Considering they both use the same internal parts and the same second stage design, there can not be an appreciable performance difference in them as far as the end user is concerned. Each has it’s advantages and disadvantages, all of which are minor, functionally there is little difference between them. Both are welcome additions to the DH diving community and I thank both designers for their work but neither of them…..or the new Mistral for that matter.. will function or feel like a modern regulator. Speaking for myself, if they did I would not see any reason to dive either one of them, I like to differences in the way a DH dives. Unless I am with a class, I rarely dive a single hose reg these days.

Thank you, but no apology needed. And you do make several salient points. I do however have one point of contention. I think you should take a DH to class and let those young whipper snappers know how real men dive.

I don't know how this happened and I didn't plan on it, but I just bought 2 of the Aqualung Mistrals and need some advice. One is a Limited addition with two dives on it and in incredible condition. The other is not a Limited addition and has never been dived. I want to use one for recreational diving but not sure which one to use.

Do I use the limited addition since it's been dived already and not worry about the potential for devaluing it? Maybe it's already devalued. Or do I keep the Limited addition tucked away and dive the standard unit even though it's new?

Sorry if I've gotten off topic. Thank you!

If it were me, I would not dive the limited edition (one in the nice case ?) and dive the other one. If either of them is going to increase in value, it's going to be the LE one....and unless you just want to keep it, I would eBay it and get an old Mistral (or DA/RAM) to dive. It should bring enough to pay for an original Mistral or DA and have plenty left over to restore it .

Thank you, but no apology needed. And you do make several salient points. I do however have one point of contention. I think you should take a DH to class and let those young whipper snappers know how real men dive.

Oh, I usually slip one in on the instructor some time during the class and always make a point of hovering near any class I come across. I just hang there watching the class with no BC and a DH reg. I would love to hear the comments at the debriefing, although most of the local instructors know me. :)
I need to discuss this with the shop owner, the Phoenix and the MK3 would both meet all the class requirements. The shop is pretty vintage friendly so odds are it would be OK with them.

@ Herman - Thank you for your advice and guidance. I can honestly say I am truly intrigued with the thought of rebuilding a true Vintage DH Regulator.

Maybe I will sale one of my Mistrals now.

@ Herman - Thank you for your advice and guidance. I can honestly say I am truly intrigued with the thought of rebuilding a true Vintage DH Regulator.

Maybe I will sale one of my Mistrals now.

Have you ever dove a double hose reg? They dive somewhat differently than a single hose reg and take a little getting use to. This is true of the old regs as well as the ones you have. It's not difficult but understanding the ways they react to diver and reg positions is important. If you dive them expecting them to be exactly like a single hose reg you may not like them, they do take some getting use to. I prefer mine (DA with a Phoenix) to my single hose regs for most dives. If you decide to rebuild an old reg, then getting a DA Aquamaster and installing either a MK3 or a Phoenix is the best approach. They don't dive any different than a traditional DH reg but they do give you the option of an octo, LP and HP ports and a higher tank pressure rating. The up frount cost is about another $200 but that is still less than what I would expect the Mistral LE to go for. That way if you encounter dive ops who insist on those features you can still dive it or when the dive nannies are not around you can pull that stuff off and dive it old school, the way Mike did. :)
There are a good many of us here do actively dive to old regs so help and guidance is pretty easy to come by.

I've never dived a DH but have a good friend to help me along the way. Some know him as Kgehring. :D

Not sure I'll like the a DH solution but intrigued as I shoot video and like the idea of the bubbles removed from my face. Plus it gives me something else to play with. I think the part that interests me it the rebuild portion of the project. It helps that I'm a Scuba Holic.

I've studied your site a bit today and learned a lot. Do you see anything wrong with a DIY rebuild considering I have a great resource like Kgehring?

Where can I get information on the MK3?

Thanks!

Oh, I usually slip one in on the instructor some time during the class and always make a point of hovering near any class I come across. I just hang there watching the class with no BC and a DH reg. I would love to hear the comments at the debriefing, although most of the local instructors know me. :)
I need to discuss this with the shop owner, the Phoenix and the MK3 would both meet all the class requirements. The shop is pretty vintage friendly so odds are it would be OK with them.

Now that's the way to increase the size of our group. Ever since I started diving my New Mistral (5 yrs ago) and the MB3 this year anyone who sees them first ask if its a Re-breather, then when I explain what it is and there are no bubbles if the face they want one! So if we play are cards right the corporate conglomerates will have no choice but to get it right and give the world what it wants.

You take the North I'll take the South.

I don't know how this happened and I didn't plan on it, but I just bought 2 of the Aqualung Mistrals and need some advice. One is a Limited addition with two dives on it and in incredible condition. The other is not a Limited addition and has never been dived. I want to use one for recreational diving but not sure which one to use.

Do I use the limited addition since it's been dived already and not worry about the potential for devaluing it? Maybe it's already devalued. Or do I keep the Limited addition tucked away and dive the standard unit even though it's new?

Sorry if I've gotten off topic. Thank you!

Well congats on the purchase of a (I mean 2) Red Headed step children! But seriously I own 2 of them as well. In fact I bought one for myself and then got one for my daughter. So who's the sucker now? They have a bad rep but they can be tweaked and I have been working on an mod that will make them breath much better, in fact on this weekend I will be testing it. So keep in touch. But I digress, You asked which one to dive dive, I say the std model, as every one knows if there is only a limited number of anything the value will go up, even bum regulators.

I've never dived a DH but have a good friend to help me along the way. Some know him as Kgehring. :D

Not sure I'll like the a DH solution but intrigued as I shoot video and like the idea of the bubbles removed from my face. Plus it gives me something else to play with. I think the part that interests me it the rebuild portion of the project. It helps that I'm a Scuba Holic.

I've studied your site a bit today and learned a lot. Do you see anything wrong with a DIY rebuild considering I have a great resource like Kgehring?

Where can I get information on the MK3?

Thanks!

Well I don't know Kgehrings but I am an underwater DP and a broadcast engineer so I do shoot video, and stills as well. That is what brought me back to double hose, It's what I learned on, and I never liked bubbles in the face. You can contact Oldmossback here at SB, he designed the MB3, a limited edition prototype as a test bed for a completely new double hose reg. I have one, it's great! Check out my avatar, there are some pixs of me with it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom