new aqua-lung mistral

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've never dived a DH but have a good friend to help me along the way. Some know him as Kgehring. :D

Not sure I'll like the a DH solution but intrigued as I shoot video and like the idea of the bubbles removed from my face. Plus it gives me something else to play with. I think the part that interests me it the rebuild portion of the project. It helps that I'm a Scuba Holic.

I've studied your site a bit today and learned a lot. Do you see anything wrong with a DIY rebuild considering I have a great resource like Kgehring?

Where can I get information on the MK3?

Thanks!

Nothing wrong at all with DIY, there is no real rocket science involved and a bunch of us are more than happy to help. Most of us do our own and to my knowledge there are only 2 folks in the US that will service them....or at least 2 I would trust. I think I know who your buddy is and if it's who I think, you are in good hands.

I think the plan is to keep both my Aqualung Mistrals and rebuild a vintage reg from scratch. Underwater videography is what has led me to the DH configuration. I shoot a Sony V1U in an Amphibico Endeavor housing with Nacturnal LED Quad Head light system. This was a big step up from my Top Dawg and I'm using it as my excuse to buy new equipment. Although I like the idea of being able to get closer to my subject and no bubbles in my face.

So the hunt begins for a system to rebuild. Any pointers to consider when looking to purchase?

The original allotment of 15 MK3s sold out 2 weeks ago. Not sure when the next production run will take place. Kind of disappointed but not sure why as I understand the phoenix does the something.

Looking forward to hearing more about your mod for the Aqualung Mistral. I thought it breathed good out of the water while sitting on my pool table. LOL

Karl should be able to set you up just fine.

I have a new Mistral and so do a few of my friends. I have no objections to voice about the performance. A venturi would be nice, but it is as good as many single hose regulators I have used. The reason it was made as it is, was because it is made of CE approved components and CE approval is needed for marketing in many countries. Many of us were disappointed that it did not look like the classic double hose regulators and would have rather seen the Mentor model made available to the public. Rationalizing modern requirements with vintage equipment is a challenge. Many of us want a regulator that does it all. The Sportsways double hose regulators approached that but, are hard to find and harder to get serviced.

The Titan first stage poses a problem for the modern diver who wants a transmitter. Most transmitter makers recommend a mechanical pressure gauge as a back up. The Titan first stage only has one HP port. If a battery fails or any of the electronics go, you are in a bit of a difficulty. I had a Data Mask fail recently and if I had been diving at the time, I would have had no back-up HP indication. Oceanic was quick to replace the mask and offered excellent service.

I suggest you just dive it. If you like it, use it. What it looks like doesn't matter as it is behind you and most other divers wouldn't know one from the other. I have young divers ask me if I have a rebreather on, whether I have a vintage double hose on or a modern Mistral. Once you get used to having the bubbles behind you, it is hard to go back. Steve

I think the plan is to keep both my Aqualung Mistrals and rebuild a vintage reg from scratch. Underwater videography is what has led me to the DH configuration. I shoot a Sony V1U in an Amphibico Endeavor housing with Nacturnal LED Quad Head light system. This was a big step up from my Top Dawg and I'm using it as my excuse to buy new equipment. Although I like the idea of being able to get closer to my subject and no bubbles in my face.

So the hunt begins for a system to rebuild. Any pointers to consider when looking to purchase?

The original allotment of 15 MK3s sold out 2 weeks ago. Not sure when the next production run will take place. Kind of disappointed but not sure why as I understand the phoenix does the something.

Looking forward to hearing more about your mod for the Aqualung Mistral. I thought it breathed good out of the water while sitting on my pool table. LOL

Choosing a reg to rebuild depends a little on what your final goal is. If you plan to add a Phoenix or MK3 then look for a DA Aquamaster. A Royal AM will also work but they tend to sell for a good bit more and considering the parts that you will replace in the conversion are the same ones that differentiate a DAAM from a RAM, why pay more if you are going to remove the parts anyway. Same goes for round label regs (later models) vs square label models (earlier models) the only difference is a slight design change in the outer shell (aka- can), internally they are identical. On the other hand, if you intend to keep it original, then the extra cost of a RAM may be worth it. Similar models of Voits are also good choices but they are harder to find and usually sell for a lot more due to them being more collectable, again, same internals with slightly different outer cans.
How the regs perform underwater has a lot to do with can and hose design, the place where the new Mistral fails or at least that is what I have heard from those who have dove both…Granted this is second hand info but from folks I know that should know. I really need to dive one, that is going on my to do list this summer. Before making a decision, why not get Karl to let you test drive a restored DH reg so you can compare for yourself.

Final goal is to build a Vintage rig that allows me to use modern attachments. I'm focusing on filming and having the bubbles in the back was why I purchased the New Mistral. Still not sure how I wound up with two of them.

But if a rebuilt vintage rig breathes better than the New Mistral then I'm all for that. But at this route I'm also interested in doing a project and rebuilding it. Any thoughts? Almost forgot! What about nitrox and vintage equipment.

Still looking for more feed back as to which Mistral I should Dive. LE that has been dove twice or the Not limited addition that has never been dove?

Last edited:
Final goal is to build a Vintage rig that allows me to use modern attachments. I'm focusing on filming and having the bubbles in the back was why I purchased the New Mistral. Still not sure how I wound up with two of them.

But if a rebuilt vintage rig breathes better than the New Mistral then I'm all for that. But at this route I'm also interested in doing a project and rebuilding it. Any thoughts? Almost forgot! What about nitrox and vintage equipment.

Still looking for more feed back as to which Mistral I should Dive. LE that has been dove twice or the Not limited addition that has never been dove?

Nitrox, it's what I use, all the parts are Nitrox ready you just have to clean it properly and use Cristal lube in assembly.

Dive the non LE unit you wont feel as bad about scratching it. Also be caful about how you handle your BC/tank/Reg because the Mistral can easily be damaged by a fall. The 2nd stage is plastic and it will break if it lands badly.

Herman is right about what the type of can you use. You can pay anywhere from $50 on up for one on Ebay and except for the cosmetic appearance of the can there all the same, in that they need a total rebuild.
Go to Vintage Double Hose and check out the parts pricing, here's what you will need if you get either the MB3 or a Phoenix.

Note: get silicon parts wherever the option is given they last forever and work better.

Mouth peice if yours is rotten.
Hoses black or yellow, I like yellow.
Valves for wagon wheels and maybe new wheels if they are cracked.
Duckbill
Diaphragm
2nd stage seat, spring and maybe the poppet itself if yours is in bad shape.
1st stage Diaphragm
Main body gasket
A band clamp.
The rest of the 1st stage will come with whichever conversion kit you end up with.
I don't think I have forgotten anything but if I did you can rest assured I will stand corrected.

..........................I don't think I have forgotten anything but if I did you can rest assured I will stand corrected.

Now would I do that. :)
I would add a couple of things.
Reproduction hose clamps, they are cheap ($5 a set) , the old ones are at times brittle or missing, might as well order a set.
I would also add a silicone mouthpiece, either the new curved USD reproduction or the Voit hourglass one. They are more comfortable than the originals. I like the Voit but just got the USD curved one and have not had a chance to try it. The old USD curved one was my favorite until the silicone voit came out, the new silcone ones may restore it to favorite status.

Nitrox is not a problem up to 40%. I dive my Phoenix with nitrox all the time. A lot of the stuff you hear about nitrox is more fiction than fact. Sure the increased O2 degrades the Orings faster but the service life of an Oring in scuba use is much much longer than the normal rebuild time frame so they don't come anywhere near the end of their useful life. Tank Orings and O2 regs are a differnt matter. If you really are concerned there are only 2 orings in either the Phoenix or the MK3 that would have to be substituted. Mine get regular checks but rarely get rebuilt more than every 3 or 4 years- they just do not need it.

When buying a reg, don't worry about any of the rubber goods. They are not expensive and the new ones are way better than the originals. You are better off paying less for a reg without hoses or mouthpiece and spending the money on new ones as opposed to finding one with good condition old hoses....which you will likely end up changing anyway.

Yes you would if needed.
So Herman if you get to So, Fl you can try my new Mistral or as I like to call it the Mistral 2.
And I'll trade you a test of my MB3 for your Phoenix. We will weigh our selves down and sit on the bottom at 60' and do a proper evaluation of these 3. By then I will have my mod to the Mistral 2 complete and we can through in a test of the Std Mistral 2 as well. A genuine 4 reg shootout!
And how do you do that abbreviated quote thing?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom