New BP&W Fitting Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cs4160

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
After 12 years, i just retired my Zeagle and took the plunge and bought a Halcyon BP&W system (40lb Eclipse, SS, 6lb STA, 10lb ABC weights).

The instructions suggest that you should have the plate at about the height of your shoulder blades, so that you can just touch the center of the top of the plate with your hands. Is this correct, because in order to do so, i need to take in the straps quite alot...and this makes them very tight on my chest, far more than that 2 finger test they suggest. Furthermore, this causes the waist strap to ride pretty high up on me, not that far below the rib cage, definitely not at the belly button line that i believe is suggested. (I am 6'4", 240lbs)

Any suggestions? And yes, i know, get in the water and i will work itself out, but as it will be a few weeks before i can spare time to go diving, i am trying to figure it all out before hand...

And does anyone have any great techniques for entering and exiting the rig? i know getting used to the hog harness setup compared to quick releases and adjustable straps is going to be a bit of a learning curve for me....

Thank you

Hello,
Thank you for your purchase of Halcyon equipment. Please contact me here at the office 800 425 2966 x 305 and we can discuss setting up your back plate.

Ken
Halcyon MFG

i don't mean to hijack the thread, but would it be practical to cut the excess strap once i have the fitting down? i own a eclipse 30

After 12 years, i just retired my Zeagle and took the plunge and bought a Halcyon BP&W system (40lb Eclipse, SS, 6lb STA, 10lb ABC weights).

The instructions suggest that you should have the plate at about the height of your shoulder blades, so that you can just touch the center of the top of the plate with your hands. Is this correct, because in order to do so, i need to take in the straps quite alot...and this makes them very tight on my chest, far more than that 2 finger test they suggest. Furthermore, this causes the waist strap to ride pretty high up on me, not that far below the rib cage, definitely not at the belly button line that i believe is suggested. (I am 6'4", 240lbs)

Any suggestions? And yes, i know, get in the water and i will work itself out, but as it will be a few weeks before i can spare time to go diving, i am trying to figure it all out before hand...

And does anyone have any great techniques for entering and exiting the rig? i know getting used to the hog harness setup compared to quick releases and adjustable straps is going to be a bit of a learning curve for me....

Thank you

I cross the shoulder straps on my rig, I dont know if it will help you but I like how it feels.

Thank you

If you haven't talked to Ken yet, here is the link to Halcyon's web page that explains how to adjust your harness. Fitting the Backplate and Secure Harness | Halcyon Dive Systems :palmtree: Bob

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the help, i think i figured it out, now i just need to get wet!

-cs

Quick question, since I think I may have missed something when setting up my harness and this thread seems the most on-topic.

I keep hearing about harnesses being tight and hard to don/doff. The way I rigged mine, I tighten it by taking up all the slack in the belt. When I release the buckle, it all loosens up and I am able to doff it easily. I had a few extra webbing keepers left over that didn't go with any D-rings, so I thought these were extras. The literature said nothing about them.

Now I am starting to wonder if these are supposed to be on the belt near the backplate, securing the shoulder straps at a fixed length?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom