New Conshelf XIV

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For the same reason they will not sell the public the military double hose reg. I had a discussion with a person in the know about this and basically, AL for whatever reson will not sell anything to the public if it has a military contract for it.......why, no one that I have found knows. I would love to get my hands on one of the DH regs but no way...

You know, I'm getting a bit fed up with equipment sales restrictions and this "authorized dealers only" BS. Do all the equipment manufacturers follow such practices?

Nope, HOG, Apollo and Zeagle do not that I know of.

Will Zeagle sell replacement parts/manuals to reg owners or must you send it off to be serviced?

Never mind. Zeagle has the same policy. This is from their web site:

CONSUMER ALERT -We have encountered a number of consumer complaints about sales made through internet auction sites and mail order outlets who ARE NOT authorized Zeagle dealers. These have included selling incomplete products, providing poor service, and in some cases selling items represented as being Zeagle products which in fact were not genuine. PLEASE BE SURE YOU ARE PURCHASING FROM AN AUTHORIZED ZEAGLE DEALER! To find a list of Authorized Zeagle Dealers, go to the "Dealer Locator ".

Zeagle's warranty is issued through the Authorized Zeagle Dealer to the original purchaser. Only retailers designated by Zeagle Systems as being Authorized Zeagle Dealers, are extended the authority to sell and provide warranty service for Zeagle products.

We strongly believe customers will best be served by purchasing Zeagle life support equipment through a local, professional Dive Store who is an authorized Zeagle dealer and who will provide proper and safe instruction on the use of the equipment purchased. Should there be any questions pertaining to this matter, or as to which retailers are Authorized Zeagle Dealers, please call (800-771-5568) info@zeagle.com

Nothing in that that says they will not sell parts or intemidate their dealers if they do so. They were one of the early ones to authorize online dealers. It only says authorized dealers can provide warranty service and by buying from a authorized dealer you are assured the items are complete and genuine. I don't see that as unreasonable, the local NAPA store can't fix my Chevy under warranty either. Now if a local dealer is still playing the old "liability" game, that is their doing.

Zeagle manuals are all over the net and here is an authorized dealer who sells parts. http://www.zeagleexpress.com/gear/REGULATORS/Service Kits and Parts.html

And I forgot Dive Rite.

Can anybody tell me why Aqualung restricts their Conshelf XIV regulators to military and commercial company sales only? IMO it's the best single hose reg ever made and I would love to get a new one.

Without prejudice and IMHO the simple answer is with the Conshelf XIV is that they dont. This “restriction” is just a general clause in the supply contract and in the contract is a requirement not to supply to the public. It is a standard clause in part of most of the original defence contracts. Aqualung dont restrict the sale it's just part of the government contract clause that is restricting sales.

I don’t think anyone wanted a scuba regulator specifically on the official “restricted” list or under any of the more sensitive general contract conditions.

There are even more restrictive contracts for divers equipment such as being under the “Arms Limitation Control Act” that really is a restrictive contract initially instigated to restrict the sale of covert, silent or offensive diving capability to other governments and in so also to the public. Only allowing sales to US or other non NATO and friendly governments.

Even more restrictive is that of STANAG A or B approved equipment that is even more detailed in that it is low-mag or non-mag diving equipment for the like of mine counter measure MCM use etc.

STANAG A and B is very detailed and again these contracts restrict the designers, the OEM manufactures, the engineering component supplier and the assembler as well as the product reseller and suppliers not to discuss or disclose any of the performance detail of the product let alone or in anyway produce for any other party the products listed in that supply contract.

It’s a bit like a confidentiality clause and a non disclosure agreement all mixed into one with a threat of a prison term. In truth with the Conshelf XIV it’s just a restrictive covenant between the makers and the suppliers in the contract clause.

However just so we are clear I also should add that this is a personal opinion and an opinion only and in no way reflects or includes any prior knowledge or confidential undertakings I may have or may have had on these products. Iain Middlebook

I recall a post a few months back stating that Aqualung had stopped producing the XIV. I think it was in the Vintage forum. You might do a search.

I bought a new one in 08, had to order it. I think they sold them in 09. My dealer says they are not available today.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom