New cruise ship pier

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Given the violent crime problem in Playa (getting worse), will many cruise ship lines want to build a pier? Will Cozumel be the last "supposedly" safe port in Mexico. I sure hope so.

Dave

PS The cruise ships already can stop in Calica (sand mines) just south of Playa and even closer to the Disney like attractions of Xcaret and the pile of rocks to be found at Tulum

"Safe" is one of the reasons many divers go to Cozumel. I guess with that you get cruise ships.

Pax. I am American and get sick of people saying I moved here so I don’t have to pay tax so it did hit a nerve. I will always have to pay tax on taxable income and now pay Duty on goods and services to boot. My local bank has a US clearing house even though it is not a US bank. The last time Cayman and Bermuda were thrown under the bus for their financial practices in a big way by a US politician was by someone who had an account here even though neither she nor her husband has a home, business or any good reason to need an account here. I am sorry if I took it the wrong way but it just gets really tiresome. At least now maybe some of the Koolaid drinkers will pause before they sip:)

“At least now maybe some of the Koolaid drinkers will pause before they sip:)

When has that EVER been the case with Koolaid drinkers?

I don't know anything about the Caymans.

I do believe that greed and corruption powers most of the problems involved with the cruise industry, their piers, and their associated land markets, and that those problems are mostly with wealthy Americans and Mexicans. I wish that their abuses could be better controlled.

Pax. I am American and get sick of people saying I moved here so I don’t have to pay tax so it did hit a nerve. I will always have to pay tax on taxable income and now pay Duty on goods and services to boot. My local bank has a US clearing house even though it is not a US bank. The last time Cayman and Bermuda were thrown under the bus for their financial practices in a big way by a US politician was by someone who had an account here even though neither she nor her husband has a home, business or any good reason to need an account here. I am sorry if I took it the wrong way but it just gets really tiresome. At least now maybe some of the Koolaid drinkers will pause before they sip:)

Most governments everywhere are for sale.

Most governments everywhere are for sale.

Which is precisely WHY you should fight hard to limit the power of government. The less power government has, the less a politician has to offer up for sale.

Which is precisely WHY you should fight hard to limit the power of government. The less power government has, the less a politician has to offer up for sale.
Except, without government controls, the cruise companies would plow up more reefs. Balance is the goal.

Is there a precise location selected? I ask because I dove with my son off the old ironshore public beach just south of San Miguel last summer, and that is the only relatively open area between the existing docks. We saw trunkfish, balloonfish, and a scorpionfish along with plenty of urchins. Not bad for a wasteland.

Except, without government controls, the cruise companies would plow up more reefs. Balance is the goal.

Absolutely true. The reefs, and the oceans in general, are fairly unique, what an economist would call the “commons”, i.e., a public resource freely available for all to exploit. Without government regulation of the commons, it will inevitably be overused or misused, to the detriment of all, the “tragedy of the commons.” The danger of putting it into government hands is the possibility that politicians will abuse the power to regulate to grant special privileges to their cronies, like New York State did long ago in granting an exclusive right to a favored steamship company to operate on the Hudson River (an exclusive right for which several New York politicians were well compensated), an attempt that the Supreme Court overruled as an improper interference in interstate commerce (the birth of dormant commerce clause jurisprudence). The balance is to permit the government to regulate use of the commons, but prohibit it from granting monopolies or special privileges - i.e., all such regulation is applied equally to all and without discrimination in favor of any person. If a new Cruise Ship Pier is to be built, it should not be for the exclusive use of any cruise operator, so that demands for yet more new piers don’t follow.

Good luck with that windmill, Mr. Quixote. :D

Back
Top Bottom