New Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Silvertip57

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hello world. Been a long time since I was here but now I have a question and I expect to get as many answers as there are dive computers. I'm looking to buy my wife a new air integrated wireless computer that will most likely get well over 200 dives a year. Experiences? Models? Recommendations??
Appreciate all comments. She is advanced diver with approximately 300 dives under her belt.

Hello world. Been a long time since I was here but now I have a question and I expect to get as many answers as there are dive computers. I'm looking to buy my wife a new air integrated wireless computer that will most likely get well over 200 dives a year. Experiences? Models? Recommendations??
Appreciate all comments. She is advanced diver with approximately 300 dives under her belt.

I think part of the decision will be based on features and part of the decision is subjective and will vary from person to person.

Obviously your wife is a very experienced diver (more experienced than I am). Is she planing to to go into tech diving where she might need the computer to monitor multiple gas mixtures etc. Another constraint might be how much you are willing to spend. Some dive computers can be up to $1500 or more.

I am not sure you have given forum members an awful lot to go on.

if she can wait one more year I'd hold out for the upcoming Atomic Aquatics A.I. wireless COBALT computer......the 'hosed' version of this computer is shipping to dive shops this month (I've got 2 on order now @ Scubatoys). All the Scubatoys employees who've seen the COBALT in person being demoed by the Atomic rep say this computer is completely awesome!
Presently I'm using several Cochran Gemini A.I wireless computers which are very proven/mature designs, and have been very reliable, but are a little complicated to program, but I'm sure the new generation Atomics will be more user friendly.....so I'd hold out for the Atomics.

if she can wait one more year I'd hold out for the upcoming Atomic Aquatics A.I. wireless COBALT computer...

The hosed version is pretty impressive, but it is...hosed.

+1 for holding out for the wristtop air-integrated version!

Personally, I have a Aeris Elite T3 (same as oceanic T3) and its pretty nice. air integrated, 3-gas switching (or buddy monitoring), nitrox to 100%.

At first the instruction manual looks insane and is quite a read through, but honestly, when you're in the water it tells you exactly what you want on the main screen and doesn't require anything more than a quick glance every now and then. Also calculates air-time remaining based on deco stops/safety stops so it has told me before that I am out of air with 700psi because I set it to make sure I would have at least 300psi left when I reached the surface. Pretty nifty device.

Thanks everyone who stopped by and commented. Scubafanatic, since we both use Atomic Regs the thought of using a computer from Atomic is very appealing since I have had nothing but good luck with them for years. Thanks again and if someone thinks of something that hasn't been mentioned please feel free to continue this thread.

How much money are you willing to spend? What do you look for? Do you care if it's easy to download the dive records? Do you care if the displays are in color? Do you care if the computer can do multiple gas switches in one dive?

I have a Wisdom 2 that's two years old. My first air integrated hosed diving computer. Then I got the Elite T3 wireless air integrated computer. It is capable of handling up to 3 gases in one dive. You know what? Two years with that computer already and I haven't done any gas switching yet.

I must say that having the computer on my wrist is more convenient than a console computer like the Wisdom 2, but I do miss the Wisdom 2's big display - old eyes and all that jazz. And the compass that's built into the console so that you can hold way in front of your face...very nice to use for navigating. Much better than the separate compass on the back of your wrist or your forearm.

I'm seriously thinking about going back to the Wisdom 2 and see if I could strap it to my arm so that I can look at it with a glance with the hose stays out of the way. Hmmm...I think that I will try that configuration out.

Anyway, as for me. I don't care about colors. I don't care about downloadability. I don't care about fancy graphics or digital compasses. I like a computer that's easy to use and air integrated. The Wisdom 2 fills that role quite well. The Elite T3 also does the same thing for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom