New Diver from NH

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you get to downeast Maine and the mid-coast region, there are great sites here too. Give a holler if in the area!

I will be starting July 16th so I am assuming by the end of the month I should be allset.

My friend has a Boat down in Haverhill that said he would take me and my buddy out will see how that goes.

I live in Dover so I dont mind driving around to different palces nothing really that far out of the way.

Thanks for all the input will deff reach out to you guys once I have my Cert to set something up.

I'm also recently certified (June). Been to a few Cape Ann dives with East Coast Divers, had a blast. Got a getaway home in Old Orchard Beach, head up most weekends. Let me know once you complete your course, maybe we can get a dive going.

So this weekend is my Open Water dives tomorrow is Lake Winni, then Sunday is in Portsmouth. Super pumped just interested to see how easy it is to do some of the skills with the gloves. They are so thick. Might have to go thinner on sunday if tomorrow isnt that easy or none at all.

Awesome!
I'm booked solid next week but I could go out the week after. I'm in Amesbury so anywhere from Kittery to Cape Ann would work for me.
Have fun with your check out dives.

Super pumped just interested to see how easy it is to do some of the skills with the gloves. They are so thick.
At the Lake you won't need gloves this time of year for what you are doing. Also just get a thin, cheap pair of neoprene workgloves at the hardware store or KTP for Sunday. You may not even get into the thermocline if you are going to Portsmouth. Don't let the dive shop overdress you. At Winnie you will find the thermocline at about 25'. For OW dive 1 you may not even get into the thermo. A 3mm is plenty for there. At the ocean on Sunday some skills of the OW dive 2 may take you into the thermo again at 30 or 35'. Here you might need a 5 or a 7. The gloves can be a headache and raise stress levels. You won't be in long for the class and your hands shouldn't get too cold unless you are super sensitive. Like I said -- if you are getting supplied by the dive shop with the clothing -- what you need for the ocean will be too heavy for the Lake. If they give you a farmer john, just wear the tops in the Lake and a pair of sweatpants over your bathing suit. The weight belt will also need to be changed different for each OW class. I think about 8 lbs more in the ocean if you wear the same gear for both dives.

Hello everyone,
Wanted to put a quick intro in this section besides just the intro section. New diver, start my class july 16th. Anyone in the seacoast area that knows good dive spots and willing to go with a new diver once I complete my Cert let me know would love to start checking out the underwater world around us.

If you ever get to RI shoot a PM to me.

At the Lake you won't need gloves this time of year for what you are doing. Also just get a thin, cheap pair of neoprene workgloves at the hardware store or KTP for Sunday. You may not even get into the thermocline if you are going to Portsmouth. Don't let the dive shop overdress you. At Winnie you will find the thermocline at about 25'. For OW dive 1 you may not even get into the thermo. A 3mm is plenty for there. At the ocean on Sunday some skills of the OW dive 2 may take you into the thermo again at 30 or 35'. Here you might need a 5 or a 7. The gloves can be a headache and raise stress levels. You won't be in long for the class and your hands shouldn't get too cold unless you are super sensitive. Like I said -- if you are getting supplied by the dive shop with the clothing -- what you need for the ocean will be too heavy for the Lake. If they give you a farmer john, just wear the tops in the Lake and a pair of sweatpants over your bathing suit. The weight belt will also need to be changed different for each OW class. I think about 8 lbs more in the ocean if you wear the same gear for both dives.

Ya they have us in the farmer john overalls then the top with a diagnal zipper, Hood, and floves. I think they have us with like a 30lb weight belt too. Ill prob just throw it all on minus floves and see how it goes if I am too hot under water ill cut down for the second dive.

Thanks for the input.

They typically want you to use the same suit at the lake so they can dial in your weight in calm water. You will be a bit warm, leave the zipper open. You do want your weight correct sooner rather than later. Drop the hood if you want, it will keep you cooler without messing up your weight much.

The conversion from f/w to s/w is very simple, 2.5lbs per hundred lbs total (you plus gear), 6-8lbs typical.

So this weekend is my Open Water dives tomorrow is Lake Winni, then Sunday is in Portsmouth. Super pumped just interested to see how easy it is to do some of the skills with the gloves. They are so thick. Might have to go thinner on sunday if tomorrow isnt that easy or none at all.

WRONG ANSWER... you should have already been wearing gloves and hoods in the pool. This is the reality of your local diving. If my wife can deal with it then so can you. Do it right for your own safety. Do or do not, there is no try. Winnie will be warm when you get in. It will cool off some as you get to a reasonable depth. Even on August 4 the ocean is apt to be cold enough to impair you if you try that unprotected.

You will probably be warm in the lake but it's not practical to set divers up for every training scenario. Better warm than cold. As mentioned it makes a predictabe tranistion to the ocean assuming someone makes the effort to weight you more thoroughly than tossing you a #30 belt.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom