New Diver from NH

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FYI: Weighting is one of those issues that is so simple yet so screwed up for most new divers it blows my mind. If there is a single item that indicates to me if someone has had good training it is if their weight is dialed in by they time they finish their first dive. It takes like 5 minutes max to do it properly yet some instructors skimp, makes you wonder what else the slide by on.

Weighting a new diver is not that easy to get right. I haven't seen a new diver that hasn't been able to drop (sometimes significant) weight after getting some diving experience. Most new divers find it hard to relax enough to purge their lungs completely and find that with experience, they can drop weight.

I do agree with Pete that you should use the same protection in the lake as in the ocean, at least to begin with. You never know what the lake will be like. I dove Winnisquam last weekend and although the surface temperature was in the 75-78 degree range, we got down to 48 degrees at depth.

Weighting a new diver is not that easy to get right. I haven't seen a new diver that hasn't been able to drop (sometimes significant) weight after getting some diving experience. Most new divers find it hard to relax enough to purge their lungs completely and find that with experience, they can drop weight.

The normal procedure for a surface weight check is "holding a normal" breath, so I am not sure why you are dwelling on emptying the lungs on a new diver.

I realize most divers learn to drop some extra weight with time. Some of this is skill based (emptying BCD completely, not fining), others are gear related (new divers in new wetsuits that are fluffy, ill fitting wetsuits that trap air). Neither is a valid reason to be over weights 8lbs + (30 in fresh is really high unless you are 300lbs XXXL).

Fresh water dives done with out a hitch. Ocean tomorrow. No good or gloves today. Even in the thermocline that was prob in the 50s no hood or gloves was fine. Tomorrow will get thinner gloves for ocean. I am very warm person anyways so no need for 7mm gloves.

Trust me, that will change as the adrenaline fades, you slow down and begin to make full length dives.

Congratulations on doing well with part 1!

Pete

And I am now a certified diver. Look forward to getting together with you guys soon.

JWD! (Job well done)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom