new diver, going to cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On my last trip to Cozumel I did a twilight dive with Blue Angel and the rest of my dives with Deep Exposure. Both seemed fine to me. Deep Exposure does technical instruction and would probably teach open water very well.

As far as dive sites, palancar reef is probably a good place to train as it is pretty and not very deep. I'm a big fan of Columbia reef and Santa Rosa wall, but they are deeper. Although I did dive both on my open water dives many years ago.

I would stay away from Maricaibo as it is very deep and also stay away from the north end because of the current... at least for the time being.

Hi,

I went to Cozumel for the first time earlier this year and would strongly recommend Blue Angel. I noticed there were divers ranging from seasoned Cozumel enthusiasts to OW students diving there. The diveshop was organised and the staff were pleasant and helpful.

The resort itself is away from the busy part of town and the accommodation was clean, simple and quiet. Overall, excellent value for money.

On safety, I had similar concerns as I'd never travelled in Mexico prior to this trip but Cozumel - or where the resorts are located anyways - felt reasonably safe (obviously, with some common sense precautions) and I always walked from resort to town center - about 25 minutes.

All the best on the course and hope the weather's good when you're in Coz!

If you want even more recommendations, post something on the Cozumel forum here on SB, or just search that forum. You'll find many recommendations.

Maybe I missed this, but where are you staying? If it's one of the big resorts on the southern tip of the island, there will be an on-site dive shop. Some of these are quite good, others have a mixed reputation. These resorts are pretty far from Blue Angel, though, which is located very near downtown.

There are lots of good OW teachers in Cozumel. The dive industry is very competitive there, and the overall quality is high. You're going to have a great time.

Congratulations on the marriage and becoming a diver. By all means spend time in San Miguel and visit some of the fabulous restaurants, it's a safe Mexican village and island. It is not the U.S. and it's that wonderful difference in cultures you want to experience.

My wife did all her classroom work and pool dives in Chicagoland and did her open water dives as an open water referal with another PADI dive operation in Cozumel, Scuba DU at the El Presidente Hotel, she had no problems and they were a great dive op, but Cozumel has many great dive instructors so you'll have plenty to choose from. Have a wonderful time, I'm sure you will.

Scroll down the main page until you hit the "Regional Travel and Dive Clubs" section and you'll see the "Mexico" forum with a small link to the "Cozumel" sub-forum. Read the stickys at the top of the Cozumel forum and you'll get a lot of great info and ideas. Understand that you're coming down in the middle of the high-season, so get started on your plans. There are quite a few excellent shops that do instruction. Hook-up with any one of them and they'll take care of you in terms of diving (instruction, where to dive, etc.).

Since you asked for specific ones, here are my personal favorites:
BlueXtSea
Albatross
Liquid Blue
Living Underwater

Contact several (not just the ones I listed) and just get a feel for them and their availability during your trip dates. Cozumel is a wonderful place and you can't help but enjoy yourself.

Check with Aldora Divers @ aldora.com..Wherever you end up, MAKE SURE they have a 40' boat-otherwise the harbor can be shutdown for days @ a time due to cold fronts (& only 40+'ers will be allowed out)....good luck & enjoy EVERYTHING....

and remember, CZM is 100% drift diving.....

Check with Aldora Divers @ aldora.com..Wherever you end up, MAKE SURE they have a 40' boat-otherwise the harbor can be shutdown for days @ a time due to cold fronts (& only 40+'ers will be allowed out)....good luck & enjoy EVERYTHING....

and remember, CZM is 100% drift diving.....
You do realize what you're recommending to a person who's plan it is to get certified while they're down their, right? I personally would not recommend that a newly certified diver go out in conditions rough enough to close the port to boats under 40' and I doubt that any reputable shop would take them. I also wouldn't recommend diving the East side to a new diver. So, I'm not so sure how relevant the 40' boat requirement is.

Thanks for all the recommendations. Went to the dive shop that was recommended today, and they give private lessons that seem like they are going to work great. So it seems like were going to get down there and only have to do the open water part. it all seems pretty exciting.

For the resort, we are staying at the Sabor Wyndham...not sure where on the island it is. but we will look up blue angel when we get down there...too many good recommendations not too.

Thanks again for all the help, we will certainly search the cozumel board before we head down there for advice.

Jacob

thanks for the condolences. I am however, one of the lucky few who really likes my soon to be wife. maybe i got lucky, and maybe im far cuter than I think I am, but either way....I'll take it.

Thanks again for all the advice, I think were going to get private lessons up here from the Indy Dive shop (who is amazingly nice by the way, and so helpful). And while in mexico we will go to blue angels for the open water dives and be sure to do sunday at the square.....i think its going to be a great honeymoon and an awesome first dive for both of us.

Jacob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom