New Diver in Sunny So Cal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Redcard

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello All,

My name is John. I live in Orange County, CA, USA.

I've been lurking around here for a couple of weeks and finally decided to come out of the shadows.

My fiancee and I are fairly new to diving. We decided it was something we wanted to do (more on that later) and just went for it. We completed PADI OW and have completed 3 of 5 dives for AOW. The other two dives will be this Saturday, where we'll also be using Nitrox for the first time. Like I said, we're just going for it.

Briefly here's our story. I'm a 41 yr old divorcee and met a fantastic woman in Feb '06. Not expecting this, and definately not looking at the time. I realized what a great catch I had and popped the question in April. She said YES !!!

We decided that we'll get married later in the year, and honeymoon in Australia because neither of us have been there. Then we start talking about the GBR and about diving, and it got us thinking about it. We finally hooked up with a great travel agent who eventually books us on a 4 day live-aboard, the Spirit of Freedom. In the mean time, we contacted a dive shop and started looking into diving certifications. We decided to do as much as we can before our trip. We want to be as experienced and as comfortable as we can before getting on the dive boat. (We're also booked on a day boat out to Catalina Island to get some more free time experience.)

So far in the few dives we've taken, we're absolutely hooked. And now we've bought most of our own equipment, except for tank and regs. We've met some great people here in CA, and our instructors have been both fun and educational for us.

Oh ya, we made one more big decision. We're going to be married standing on a beach in Australia. Can't beat that! This is going to be the wedding/vacation/honeymoon of a lifetime!

12/25/06 Get on airplane.
12/27/06 Arrive Cairns. Staying at Thala Beach Lodge
12/29/06 Wedding on beach at Thala. (just the two of us....perfect)
1/2/07 White Water Rafting on Tully River
1/4/07 Spirit of Freedom for 4 days. Launching from Lizard Island.
1/9/07 Sydney for 3 nights
1/12/07 Aukland, NZ for 3 nights. Black Water trip in Waitomo Caves.
1/15/07 Fly home. :(

Be safe. Thanks for all the great info I've been getting from this board.

John

Sigh... why does this "always" happen to someone else?

Just teasing 'ya, John... congrats on the new lady and passion (diving) in your life, and welcome to SB.

drbill:
Sigh... why does this "always" happen to someone else?

Just teasing 'ya, John... congrats on the new lady and passion (diving) in your life, and welcome to SB.

Thanks for the greet.

Two new passions, and she's my buddy with both.:wink: Life is good.

Welcome to the board John

good luck and buy those regs soon

Congratulation
Welcome to :sblogo:
:wave-smil :wave-smil
:chicken:

Howdy and welcome to SB!

You should find a lot of help in our geographic and general travel forums.

If you haven't yet, click Forums above and start going thru the list - looking for those of interest to you, especially your local dive club. Click the link in my Sig below to PM me if I can help you around here..

:cowboy: don

Welcome to the board and to your new passions! Feel free to drop on down to your local forum.... http://www.scubaboard.com/forumdisplay.php?f=88
You will see that we love diving and love sharing our addiction with others.
p.s I too am green with envy on your trip to Australia Dive safe and enjoy!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom