New Diver looking for dive watch style computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am old(-ish) and wear reading glasses. I found that I wanted gauge reader lenses in my mask to be able to see stuff up close, regardless of my computer - say, for example, the buttons and LCD display on my GoPro or "big" u/w camera rig. With those, reading even a watch-sized computer is no problem.

Size does not matter! Well not too much. This is a picture of a Vyper Novo and a Geo 2 side by side. Graphics are pretty close. I can see the Geo just fine without my normal glasses that I wear when not on vacation. Anyone want to buy a Vyper Novo with a transmitter?

Attachments

• G0069367.JPG
    G0069367.JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 80
Not really actively trying to sell. it. Bought it because I got a deal on it and wanted to try AI. I have two dive trips on it, 24 dives in all. The cost of AI is hard to justify for the amount of diving I do. Probably keep it for my next trip in April then think about selling. I am keeping my eyes out for March flights to Coz that fit my schedule though.

If you are frugal, then you may want to consider future proofing your dive computer. As you get older, you will (most likely?) want a larger display than a watch style. Dive computers can last for many many years.
My eyesight is pretty bad now, and that is a big reason why I like the Geo 2.0, since I can easily read it. When I go diving, I already have my computer/bottom timer on my wrist. One less thing to have to mess with.

I'm a little concerned about what I saw from the Mares that it locks in freedive mode for 24hrs after being used which might be annoying if I want to snorkel then dive within 24 hours.

When you freedive --as distinct from snorkel -- you can get some gas loading. Since the computer doesn't track that, it cannot account for it in its deco calculations later. So they decided to cover their assets and require full desaturation before the mode switch. It's SOP: my computer's manual insists that I wait 24 hours after switching from gauge to dive mode, too (I don't remember if it'll actually try to lock me out or not -- not that it can).

I recently got an atom. I have read that people say it is not intuitive, but I find it very easy to use. Look at the manual, figure out what the abbreviations stand for, and it is super simple. If the need arose, I would not hesitate to buy another one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom