New diver question? how to find dive partners

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Noobllama

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am pretty new to diving. I know noone else that dives. I was just wondering how I get to do more dives. I have to have a partner and they never let you know in class how to find people to dive with. I figured that joining a forum like this would help any suggestions would be great.

Hi Nooblama,

Welcome to the fascinating underwater world!
You're question is a very good and legitimate one and unluckily (or luckily?) for you, the first guy to answer you is one that has not been able to find an answer in 5 years of diving...
I would recommend you join a local dive club or try a few local dive shops organizing charter trips. Usually the same people attend/use them more or less regularly and you might make diver friends. But diver friends are not enough, their schedule must match yours (as well as their interest, pocket depth, etc).
My solution to this unsolvable equation? I took up video (so that I could keep myself busy) and, once I reached 100 dives, signed up for a solo diver class.
This way I was very autonomous and could handle any type of random buddy I would meet on a boat, and in the worst case (in fact, the best for a videographer), I would just dive on my own, randomly bumping (figuratively that is) on other divers during the dive.
I've been told the best is, when you found a good buddy, marry her!
I am not so sure... :)
Keep diving, keep learning, and enjoy the wonders of the deep safely!
Cheers.

Did you get any names and phone numbers from others in your class? That is a good opportunity as everyone is in the same situation.

I have used the local forum here on SB for many dive buddies.

I have tried divebuddy without any success. Look at meetup and see if there are any scuba groups in your area. Also look to facebook for some local groups. There may even be some other local scuba forums, google is your friend.

Talk to the people at your local dive shop. Let them know you are looking and to let you know if anyone else is asking the same.

Keep at it and keep diving

Thanks for all the help guys and as for my classes I was the only one in the class for all of them (open, advanced and nitrox) with the exception of the dives at the local lake. I should have gotten some numbers at those but can't do it now. maybe, when I take some more classes i will be able to. I will look for some dive clubs around here.

You are about 2 1/4 hours from Lake Rawlings. There are a number of dive shops who run trips to that Lake (quarry actually). Think Waterworld in Durham, NC, does for example. Its not the ocean but a good place to get a couple dives in and get some practice.

I just wanted to clarify the intent of my post, in case there was any doubt of what I was trying to tell a freshly minted diver.
In no way was I suggesting that solo diving was the best there is and a goal to have in mind. As a matter of fact, it is still (rightly so in some cases) frown upon by many. This is not a decision I made lightly, and as I was explaining, I sought training before I did it (lots of redundancy, dive planning and warnings worth learning about in any case). I never dive solo but from charter boats where I know I can get back safely or get support from if needed (no solo beach diving, kayak diving or lake diving, you name it).
In fact, if I mentioned it, it is simply as maybe a forewarning of what might be a cause of frustration for many, that is the difficulty to dive regularly (and if possible often) to keep proficient, and with the same people.
This being said, in the same situation (freshly certified diver), I used another approach, which while costly, was the appropriate one for me, as I was a really clumsy diver to start with: I enrolled in class after class to keep diving in a supervised environment, while keeping challenging myself and my technique. Obviously a lot of what I supposedly learned then was lost on me for lack of experience, but it brought me past the 50 dive levels safely, with students some of whom are still my occasional buddies. I can not gauge how practical that is for the OP, but I would say that aiming for a rescue diver certification, maybe a master scuba diver one, and then... why not, a solo diver certification, could be another way to keep at it, especially if there is no such things as charter boats in his area (I misread his location when posting my first answer).
In any case, keep diving, keep learning and dive safely.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom