New diver – should I buy a computer or other gear first?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are you going to dive with Roberta? I've been doing that for years; it's a great dive op. I think your decision to buy a MK25 as your first purchase is not so good...it's the top of the line SP reg and, unless you're dying to spend money, is WAY more reg than you need for rec diving. Consider the MK16 S550 or G250 instead; since the MK16 is discontinued, you can find it at a good price, from an authorized dealer, and you'll never be able to tell the difference in performance, unless you're sitting at 100 ft with about 15 other divers breathing off your reg. I'm not saying it's not a great reg, but if you're trying to budget effectively, you're spending alot of money for something that will not noticably improve your diving. The other thing is that if you buy a reg, you'll have to provide your own computer, as the rental computers at Roberta's are on consoles with the rental regs. And, while I appreciate the sentiment of "learn the tables" I can also tell you from experience that you're going to want a computer in Cozumel as it fits the dive profiles you'll be doing, as I explained in my previous post. Oh yeah, if you buy the reg, don't forget to add in costs for octo and instruments; you can't rent those separately. You might send Roberta an email and ask her if she has any wrist computers for rent, but I would bet she doesn't.

Roberta's place is great, but she does not have a good selection of rental wetsuits, so make sure you get one before you go, unless you're confident you can be comfy in a shorty. That's all she rents.

The comment about BCs being essentially the same is simply not true; in fact, there are different styles which feel remarkably different under the water; there are back inflate, jacket style, and backplate/wing set ups and they're all really different. You'll need some experience diving with each type to get a feel for which style is best for you, so go ahead and rent for this trip.

Please say hello to Robert and Roberta for me; they're really good people.

I am going to try to get a personal DM since this will only be my first or second trip after getting certified.

I will take your advice and pickup a wetsuit too. As for the regulators, I was looking at the 550 and it seems nice – I will keep that one in mind, I wish I could try this stuff before buying it – do most shops allow that?

How would I go about testing BC’s? Should I try to rent one of each type and spend some time “Playing” with them? (Trying to get neutral, storage space, ease of use etc..)

This board rocks!

-Curtis

I'm a fairly new diver and since I started I have picked up all my dive gear except for tanks.

I would highly recommend your first purchases be your BC and Computer. Go with what you can afford and what is comfortable. Don't let the shop talk you into something you *might* like later on.

Renting a wetsuit or dry suit isn't that bad and your own BC and computer will make the dives that much more fun and safe.

A tropical wetsuit does not have to be expensive. It's even cheaper when you save money by not renting it. I would get your own no matter what. Would you go down there and rent a bathing suit? I know, not quite the same, but ...

Damselfish:
A tropical wetsuit does not have to be expensive. It's even cheaper when you save money by not renting it. I would get your own no matter what. Would you go down there and rent a bathing suit? I know, not quite the same, but ...
I feel the same way. Before I get my OW certification, I am getting a wetsuit.

Immense:
I am going to try to get a personal DM since this will only be my first or second trip after getting certified.

Curtis, slow down. Breathe. Just like diving, buying gear is not a race. As you already know, it is rather spendy, but don't make it even more so by rushing into buying without being sure if it is even going to be something long term.

As was mentioned before, you don't need to spend more money than you need, for something that is beyond what you need. That is why so many of us are recommending that you rent reg and BC for a while. There are so many options that it just doesn't make sense to rush in.

Take me for example: I have tried regs from Aqualung, ScubaPro, Oceanic, Mares, Zeagle, Apeks, Sherwood, Posiedon.

I own two Aqualung Legend LX and one Aqualung Titan Micra ADJ. Is it because Aqualung regs are that much better than the others? No, it is because it's what I prefer after trying so many others.

I dive a SeaQuest Pro QD+ SureLock. Is it because it's the best out there? No, it is what was most comfortable and fit my needs best.

Take another diver doing the same kinds of diving I do and he/she may choose something completely different after the same trials.

Immense:
I will take your advice and pickup a wetsuit too. As for the regulators, I was looking at the 550 and it seems nice – I will keep that one in mind, I wish I could try this stuff before buying it – do most shops allow that?

Any dive shop worth frequenting will rent or even let you borrow gear. They should be able to set you up with something you are interested that will meet your needs. Talk to them about what you are trying to gain: experience and comfort with equipment with an eye for buying once you decide on your configuration. They should be more than willing to help you out. If not, there is a signal.

I regulary loan or rent my regs. I have great confidence that once someone tries them they will buy.

They should be willing to throw you in their pool with a few different configurations to let you get some feeling of what you want to rent for your trip. This is called customer service. As a former LDS owner, I did this all the time. If someone wanted to spend an hour in each configuration in the pool, ok.

Immense:
How would I go about testing BC’s? Should I try to rent one of each type and spend some time “Playing” with them? (Trying to get neutral, storage space, ease of use etc..)

1 - Fit. How comfortable is it without the tank, with the tank on land, on the surface, at depth. Is it streamlined or bulky? Will it travel well?

2 - Adjustment. Is there enough adjustment to accomodate all the potential diving you may do? Just because this trip you may only wear a 3mm suit, what's to say in January you head to Lake Travis and need a 7mm with a 7mm hooded vest. Will the BC adjust enough?

3 - Stability. Does it stay in place or shift around. This could be a size issue. You make take a large in one brand/model and M in another. On the surface do you float upright, face up or face down? If you're jacket style then probably upright; BP/W or back infalte you may be face down.

4 - Weight integrated or not? This is definitely a matter of personal preference. There are pros and cons either way. If it is integrated, what is the weight capacity, how much non-ditchable, how much ditchable?

5 - Function. Are the pockets easy to get into while at depth? Are they large enough for what you anticipate using them for (dive slate, dive plan slate, camera, gloves, snorkel, defog, etc.)? Are there enough load points (D-rings) for you to attach things (lights, camera, console, octo, slates, fish ID slate, etc.)? How easy is it to access these? Is the LP inflator easy to locate and use?

Just a few things the LDS should help you figure out and provide you with the abiltiy to figure out for yourself.

Immense:
This board rocks!

-Curtis

For the most part, we aim to please. Just don't make a decision without having enough information to make a good one. And don't let ANYONE pressure you into buying ANYTHING!

Keep us posted.

I haven't dived with a lot of different regs, BC's, computers. I bought my stuff from my LDS right out of OW--basic, cheap, but decent gear (mostly Scubapro, MK2/R190 reg, basic BC, bought a used wetsuit from a friend). I trusted my LDS on this and didn't pay that much, it's worked out just fine and I'm sure there's better gear out there I couldn't've afforded, wouldn't have bought, and wouldn't've gotten out diving. With this gear, 6 years and 120 dives later (okay, I don't dive that much), I'm perfectly happy. I think buying gear early makes one get out and dive in order to "get your money's worth" out of that new equipment, and waiting around til you can afford the "Cadillac" stuff means you may not get out and dive much at all (like several of my OW classmates). Renting gear 8 or 10 times to "see what I liked" would've run me half of what I paid for my own gear. This is why a lot of new divers attrit out of the sport, I think.

I'm probably going against the prevailing grain with this advice, but it worked for me anyway.

I didn't start out with a computer, but would now if doing it over. Get a good, cheap one like the Genesis ReAct, for about $250-300 mail-order (I recommend getting a nitrox-capable one, you'll start using Nitrox eventually.) The round "hockey-puck" ones are the easiest to pop into a rental console, or you can get a wrist band for it.

Cheap camera? I'm way cheap, which means film. I bought a perfectly good Ikelite Auto-35 "point-shoot" rig, with strobe, used for $125. You'll find them on eBay for less. Camera junkies are always moving up in gear and price. If you start with a cheapie like this, you'll see if you like carrying a camera (it's kind of a different type of dive with a camera, always do your first dive in a new place without it, then if all's well, take it on your subsequent dives). If you don't, you've lost almost nothing, as the cheapies are easy to sell for what you paid. If you love it, and want that digital rig, the same result applies for your entry-level rig.

If you're a new diver, I'd recommend getting 30-40 dives in before taking a camera with you, then start out in "unchallenging" conditions with it. A camera adds a few tasks to your load, and makes you a less attentive buddy (a point worth keeping in mind if you buddy with a photographer).

Best of luck, whatever you decide.

If your LDS has a pool, then I would strongly suggest you take advantage of any time you can get in it. My LDS lets us use it anytime we want to, for free. (as long as no swim parties etc...) We went back 3 times between our OW classes and our checkout dives in Key Largo. About a 3 week span. Time well spent as far as getting comfortable.

We also tried different setups each time we got in the pool. The final pool dive we used the regs that the charter we would be using for our CO dives would be using. Again, a good comfort tool. We are lucky in this area, that the same people we did our classes (LDS) also own the Dive Shop in Key Largo.

MY first purchase after check out dives was wetsuit. I did take a chance on this one by buying online. I needed a large/short. Not common, but found it at a good price (Bare). Dive shop did not have this size either. My wife got hers in Key Largo off a clearence rack at one of the many places to shop. We also got a good deal on a digital camera from LDS (sealife reefmaster w/strobe, case, 512 chip, recharger and batteries) <$225

Here's what we did.

First trip. Check out dives and 4 fun dives-rented everything

Second trip. Purchased wetsuits online and discount outlet. 6 more dives

third trip. Purchased BC's from LDS. (seaquest BI) 40% off. 8 more dives

Fourth trip. After trying 3 different regs in the pool we purchased reg and comp from LDS. (aqualung legend LX (w/free octo) and sunnto comp)
AOW classes then all AOW checkout dives in Key Largo. (Speigel X 2 was the deep and wreck) plus 2 funs dives and first night dive.

Next trip. (EAN speciality this Saturdauy). Hopefully the Duane and or Bibb plus reef dives labor day weekend.

We have bought knives, lights and some other things from some of the outlets in Key Largo and the LDS has thrown in some goodies (backup lights, safety sausage etc.) in with Reg/comp purchase.

We have to do all of this X 2. except for the camera. But hopefully it will slow down now. But not ever completly end. We are hooked.

Well, welcome to scuba! I myself, am a new diver. And I'm sure you have the same feeling as me when I was going through the classes... "Oh I cannot wait to buy the gear!" Well, that's not the right way to look at it, I promise you that!

A friend and myself went straight to the LDS after getting certified and bought our gear. This was a HUGE mistake! But, thankfully you won't make this mistake, because your here on Scubaboard!

Buy online, scubatoys.com is most likely your best choice for most gear, they have price matching, so compare prices with leisurepro.com, they will most likely match it. Keep in mind, scubaboard members get 10% off at scubatoys.

IMO, wetsuit should be your first purchase. Why? Because people pee and uhm, sometimes sheet in the rentals. I doubt anyone does either into a reg! LOL Anyway, for a wetsuit, you can visit http://www.tommydsports.com/ (found that on SB today (grin)).

Reg setup would be next, then BC. If you decide to buy a snorkel, buy a cheapo. Or even better, a fold up that you can keep in your BC pocket.

I ended up spending somewhere near $1700 on all my gear, and am now trying to get rid of most of it because I had no clue what I wanted. Gain slow, be happy later.

If you can, rent gear BEFORE you buy it. =)

Forgot to mention, ask your LDS if they do price matching w/ online stores. OR if you want to buy from the LDS, atleast ask for discounts. Good chance you'll get one if you ask.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom