New diver – should I buy a computer or other gear first?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just joined ScubaBoard and might be a little late in replying to your question, but here is my two cents worth.

When I was in the dive business (I am still an active instructor), I chose to go with the SDI training programs because we teach the use of dive computers rather than the wheel or other traditional tables. This is because statistically we know (in the industry) that divers do not always really remember how to use their tables once they have passed their open water test. Furthermore, when they get out in the real world they can (and do) often make mistakes that can either cost them dive time or put them in danger of too much exposures.

Since selling my business I have been on seven (yes 7) dive boats this year. On only one boat did I see (at total of 3 out of 18) divers with depth gauges and they were relegated to "dive with the divemaster on his profile" while the rest of us were told to dive our computers. On all other boats, everyone was using a computer. This is the way the world is learning to dive these days (sorry PADI). One of the reasons is that computers do not forget how deep you go or how long you have been down there.

If you want a dollars versus dive time rational for purchasing a dive computer think of it this way.

If you go to Cozumel and your trip (including airfare and accommodations) costs you say $1500 and you plan on making 3 dives a day for 5 days this would work out to $100 a dive. If you dove to 80 feet on a standard table/wheel you would have a maximum bottom time limit of 40 minutes. But more likely than not you will not stay at 80 feet for the entire 40 minutes. You probably would use your air up too fast at this depth, for one thing. So logically you will come up from that 80 feet and spend the majority of your dive at about 35-40 feet. On your linear table you would have to surface at the prescribed 40 minues of bottom time allowed.

But if you were on a computer you might touch 80 feet for maybe 10 minutes of your dive and then spend the remainder of the dive at a shallower depth. And in this case (as well as the one above) your air "might" last you for more than a total of 40 minutes.

Your dive computer will recalculate your bottom time (base on reduced pressure) and might allow you a dive time of 60 minutes or longer - probably as long as your air will last. The cost of your dive trip - that $100 per dive now goes down in dollars per minute of the dive from $100 for 40 minutes to $100 for 60 minutes - a 50 percent bonus because you invested in a dive computer for your trip.

There are inexpensive computers out there that will give you the basics, even though I agree with your "ideal computer" selection on your profile. Buy an inexpense one now and invest in the Uwatec when you start upgrading your gear.

My second recommendation with regard to equipment purchase is a buoyancy compensator. Once you own your own BC you will truly be able to begin mastering buoyancy control which is the key to diving comfort.

If you rent the rest - rent at the store where you are taking your training. You will have several advanatages and the first one is better fit and the comfort that comes with that.

BTW, I know a friend who rented a regulator in Cozumel. The second stage fell apart on him on a dive at a depth of 100 feet.

For those Techinical divers who will take issue with some of the above - I am well aware that tables have a place in technical diving (I am a TDI Instructor also). My comments are ment for entry level and advanced open water divers.

^^^^ What TheScubaLady said. Very well put! After my mask, my first purchase was a 2nd hand computer and I don't regret it at all.

looks like the OP was last on the board last month (November of 2006), so he's probably still checking this thread.

with that in mind, i would suggest an Aeris Atmos 2 (under $300) and continued practice with your tables (in case you ever need to use them)

don't do away with the tables. it's always good to have extra tools available.

I bought a computer before I even started scuba class, simply because I like gadgets. But when I started diving, I put it on gague mode and don't use the advanced features. I will eventually, of course, but I absolutely did not need my own computer more than other stuff when I started.

That said, it was great having all my dives logged by the machine from the beginning. But I'd still get a suit, BCD, or reg first if you aren't going to blow a ton of money at once.

If your not going to dive nitrox you can get some air only comps real cheap...

Thanks for all the updates! I now have ALL of my gear and am very happy with it:

Mask: Scubapro Clear VU 2
Fins: Scubapro Twinjet
Snorkel: Aqua Lung Technisub
Boots: Scubapro Boots
Wetsuit: Scubapro 3mm
BC: Scubapro Nighthawk
Regulator: Scubapro MK25 first stage / S555 second Stage
Computer: Scubapro (UWATEC) Aladin Prime 3

Link to my blog post about my gear:
http://www.mercwear.com/?p=168

Thank you all for the tips and ideas, I love this website and the people who support it.

I am fairly new to diving. My LDS had a great sale and package deal for me. It was my BC, Reg, and air gauge, and depth gauge. No compass, which I later found out was essential for the training. I purchased the package, as I wanted to make sure that I had my own reg. I had a number of reasons for it, primarily is that my life, and my dive, depend on that. I want to absolutely know that it is well maintained. Secondary to that it's a hygiene thing. I don't care to have something in my mouth that a stranger had in theirs. I don't care how well you clean it.

Next item, take a look at the Canon Powershot A70 and the waterproof case for it. Pretty good starting point, well below your price limit. I already had the camera, case at B&H Photo was about $170. It should be good enough for a while. THat would leave you more money for better dive toys.

Stop - dont buy gear. That is not wise.

How often are you going to dive?

Please keep in mind that gear should be serviced every year and that is not cheap (even if it sits in a closet).

This is a normal song and dance heard around dive shops. They make money on the gear sales. Much more money on that than the training. Training is often sold at or below cost so they can sell you gear.

If you are going to be doing a bunch of diving that is awesome. Wait until you get through the class prior to making any decisions. Then research, test, and try to rent the equipment you feel is right.

The first package I bought was a big waste of extra money. It had all the bells and whistles. I got every accessory. The accessories got lost. I didnt need the bells or whistles. I tried just about everything inbetween. I now dive a baseline package that cost total of less than $500 for everything- well, not the computer but that was affordable as well.

IT WORKS GREAT! I can pack it. I can beat on it. It can get stolen and I wont be crushed.

If you have any questions and want straight answers with no sales pitch PM me.......

Good luck in all your adventures.

sasscuba:
:lol: That's reassuring, usually safe? I think the first piece of gear to buy after mask, snorkel and fins is your own regulator. Most important piece of safety gear. Rental regs suck.
I agree with sasscuba. I had the unfortunate experience of renting a regulator that was not properly maintained by the shop. Fortunately I have a great buddy, the incident occured early in the dive @ 65 ft, and we had a great real time practice in buddy breathing. I think computers are great, but not something you have to have right away. Happy Diving

Fish Janitor:
Stop - dont buy gear. That is not wise.

How often are you going to dive?

For some people buying gear right away is not a bad idea. I am like that: if I don't have all my own stuff I know I'll lose interest. The thought of screwing around with rentals every time I want to go out makes me not want to go at all; fiddling with how I attach accessories to my BCD in between dives keeps me interested in the hobby. If a person knows that they'll feel like that, they should do their homework and buy their gear sooner rather than later.

Your first time buying stuff for a new hobby, you always end up with something you don't like or don't need. Just try to minimize it. I bought 2 complete setups (for the wife and I), about half of it used, and only have regrets on 1 inexpensive item. That's acceptable to me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom