New diver with a question about BCD made for women!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Quero,

If breast sizes or waist sizes aren't an issue then why is it that I rarely see a woman fits well into a jacket BC? Some of them if the waist fits right then the bust wouldn't or vice versa. Sure, shorten the torso helps a bit, but the jacket is simply ill-fitted for many people; be they men, women or children.

Say what you will, but a BPW still offers the best body fit to anyone. The only deciding factor would be the length of the backplate to fit very tall or very short people, and there are manufacturers who can accomodate those uncommon lengths with either elongated or shortened plates.

If these jacket BCs were reengineered to fit women well like you claim, then any and all of them should fit any and all women - within the size ranges, naturally. However, they don't fit women universally. So something ain't right with these supposedly women's cut design.

You know what's best for women just by looking? Huh. How about that! I guess I'm just plain wrong when I say that I find a jacket engineered for a woman to be more comfortable than a bp/w, then? I'm clueless about my own body and comfort? Who'd a thunk?!?!

I suppose you just can't understand how it feels for some of us to wear a backplate. There's no point in trying to explain since you have already decided for all of us what is right for us without consultation about how things actually feel when worn. While it's true that not all jacket BCDs fit all people, it's equally true that a backplate and wing system is not comfortable for all people. Insisting isn't going to change a single thing, and you shouldn't try to force your views that bp/w is the answer to every bcd question. It simply isn't.

Reactions: dfx
I love my Aqualung Soul i3. It fits great, it's comfortable, & it performs the way I want need it to for the diving I'm doing.

if you haven't bought a BCD yet, I have a Medium Cressi Woman's Travelight 2013, Which fit comfortably and was very light weight. I got it one week before going on a 1 week dive vacation just over a month ago. Unfortunately I have very bad arthritis in my hands and had to ask for help clipping the weight pockets in, and taking them out, I lost one of the weight pockets, but it can be replaced, so I have decided to sell it. If you are interested, you can contact me.

I have an Oceanic Hera that I really like. I was not comfortable in a Halcyon BP/W. so it really is a personal choice, try a bunch on and see what fits your body best.

A - male - vote for an adjustable harness & wing system. I just bought my Masterlift TEK from a diver who is twice as big as me and after adjustment the BC fits like a glove:)

I'm short and busty with a waist...and love my Zeagle Zena...have tried other "women's" BCD's, and none compare for me to the Zena, designed by women, for women. Its not a "downsized" men's BCD.

i have the Genesis Sirene and i`m very happy with it

This thread is ridiculous. Women have different body types as do men, so while you can recommend what you use there is no guaranty it will properly fit the OP. An analogy would be jeans. Jeans are cut differently for men and women. Sure you can swap but they would not be as comfortable. Within mens' jeans the brands fit differently and some don't fit at all. I am sure it is the same or worse for women's jeans.

My recommendation is for the OP to try on as many BCs as possible and see which one fits best on land with a full tank attached (if it does not fit on land it is likely not to fit in the water) and when she narrows it down ask to demo the gear in the pool.

This thread is ridiculous. Women have different body types as do men, so while you can recommend what you use there is no guaranty it will properly fit the OP. An analogy would be jeans. Jeans are cut differently for men and women. Sure you can swap but they would not be as comfortable. Within mens' jeans the brands fit differently and some don't fit at all. I am sure it is the same or worse for women's jeans.

My recommendation is for the OP to try on as many BCs as possible and see which one fits best on land with a full tank attached (if it does not fit on land it is likely not to fit in the water) and when she narrows it down ask to demo the gear in the pool.

so by your definition your own comment is ridiculous too

people, i assume mostly women have stated what they use thus providing a list for the OP to consider

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom