New Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DirtDart

New
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

As a new scuba diver, I wanted to say hi and introduce myself.

My name is Aaron, I'm 27 years old. I'm a software engineer and photographer professionally (http://www.athphoto.com). I recently got married and went to Maui for my honeymoon which is where I got my dive certification (SSI via Maui Dive Shop).

So far my experience is limited to the handful of dives I did while in Maui where great diving sites are everywhere, but now I'm home in the SF Bay Area in California and I'm clueless about where I can go dive. There's lots of water around here, but it's cold and visibility is low and I read something about the "Red Triangle"?

Can someone point me in the right direction? I'm already looking at the Kelp Divers section of the forum, but still a bit overwhelmed.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

DirtDart:
Hi everyone!

As a new scuba diver, I wanted to say hi and introduce myself.

My name is Aaron, I'm 27 years old. I'm a software engineer and photographer professionally (http://www.athphoto.com). I recently got married and went to Maui for my honeymoon which is where I got my dive certification (SSI via Maui Dive Shop).

So far my experience is limited to the handful of dives I did while in Maui where great diving sites are everywhere, but now I'm home in the SF Bay Area in California and I'm clueless about where I can go dive. There's lots of water around here, but it's cold and visibility is low and I read something about the "Red Triangle"?

Can someone point me in the right direction? I'm already looking at the Kelp Divers section of the forum, but still a bit overwhelmed.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Yes, California diving is different then in HI. It's colder here but if you get a 7mm wetsuit that FITS and a hooded vest and gloves and boots you will do fine. Some people use drysuits and up your way they are even more common than down here in So Cal. Visibility varies but if you are looking at something that is only 2 feet in front of your face 3 feet is viz is more then you need. I typically hover about 18 inches off the bottom when I dive. As long as I can read the gauges I'm ok with the viz. Only a few times when I couldn't Typically it's in the 5 to 25 foot range here which is fine. After a while 10 foot viz will "feel" just about right

I think for people in SF the place to dive is Monteray. Some of the best divng in Caifornia is there.

What you have to do is find some local dive clubs. Best to ask about them on the Nor Cal forum but most dive shops have "clubs" and then there are the independent ones too. If you were down here I'd point you to a few. The thing is to try out serveral. Go to the club meeting and the dives talk the everyone there. It's really a social networking thing. Keep names, email address and phone numbers. After a couple months you will know a couple dozen divers

Local beach diving is a tough sport to break into because no one makes money off of it. charter boats are different. The shops make money on this so they promote the trips and advertize. other local dives get organized on private email lists and web sites an on cell phones. Best advice is to go to the club meeting and dives, buy a few rounds of beers. You have to work at it but the good news is that most experianced divers are very much willing take new divers into their group

I started out a few years ago as a new diver that didn't know anyone but after six months It got to the point where I was having to limit myself to diving "only" three days a week.

It looks likeyou are doing the right thing and asking just keep at it. If yuo are ever down here near Redondo Beach let me know and I'll introduce you to a bunch of the local divers and dive sites. I expect you will get this type of offer from people up in SF too.

Welcome to SB
:wave-smil :wave-smil
:admingreet:Jason

Howdy and welcome to SB!

Don't be afraid of anything around here. It's all safer than driving to the beach.

If you haven't yet, click Forums above and start going thru the list - looking for those of interest to you, especially your local dive club. Click the link in my Sig below to PM me if I can help you around here..

:cowboy: don

Congrats on your recent certification and on finding ScubaBoard. Best of luck on your future dives!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom