New diver's ramp location at Lake Jocassee, reviews?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here is what it looks like today at the new ramp.

There is a line that starts at the left side of the stairs and goes S. At about 30 ft depth it is tied to a log. From this log, a purple line continues S across the bay and dead-ends at 21 ft; the deepest point along this route was at 36 ft by a small pile of rocks and driftwood. Another line (white) goes E from the log and very soon it reaches the platform. The platform is also marked by a small buoy that you can see from the shore. There are 2 white lines that go roughly E from the platform. The 1st one, from the SE corner of the platform, dead-ends at 54 ft. The 2nd one, from the NE corner of the platform, turns S very soon and connects to the 1st one. That's all.

I did not go below 65 ft today and average temp was 78 F. Saw plenty of bass but they were travelling somewhere and did not stay for long. Picked up a pair of Caxman oversize sunglasses at 32 ft, the kind that are worn on top of regular glasses. Lousy condition, probably been there forever. The lake was not too crowded. A couple of other divers, a couple or two of kayakers, some paddle-boaters, the usual teens jumping from the rocks across the bay and very few motor boats.

unfreaking believable! the years of hard work fun and running lines into the forest to have it end. It was one of the best places to walk in, hit the water and achieve 150-200'. Another dive site taken over. Sad situation all around.

unfreaking believable! the years of hard work fun and running lines into the forest to have it end. It was one of the best places to walk in, hit the water and achieve 150-200'. Another dive site taken over. Sad situation all around.
So true. I absolutely do not understand these changes. Like, there were not enough ramps for the motor boats? But they hardly ever used the ramp at the end of the road. And to make things worse, they build the stairs facing the shallowest bay of the lake. I believe the bay to the north of the new parking lot is deeper.

So true. I absolutely do not understand these changes. Like, there were not enough ramps for the motor boats? But they hardly ever used the ramp at the end of the road. And to make things worse, they build the stairs facing the shallowest bay of the lake. I believe the bay to the north of the new parking lot is deeper.

The peninsula in the middle is the new divers parking lot. The cove towards the bottom is the new divers cove. The cove above is just to the right of the boat ramp (when standing on the boat ramp and looking across the lake)

Attachments

• 7163AC1D-6CB9-4903-B580-30BECF162CF2.png
    7163AC1D-6CB9-4903-B580-30BECF162CF2.png
    583.8 KB · Views: 127
The peninsula in the middle is the new divers parking lot. The cove towards the bottom is the new divers cove. The cove above is just to the left of the boat ramp (when standing on the boat ramp and looking across the lake)
Thanks for the map, but what's your point?

Thanks for the map, but what's your point?

Really wasn’t a point, just a comparison.

The depth of the coves themselves are about the same. The lake follows the landscape, so where there is a valley it continues into the lake. If you want depth get into the valley’s and follow them into creek beds. However getting out of the coves is much more involved as you aren’t on one of the points. An annoyance to say the least.

I don’t know how long the changes were in the works, but I have been there several times “post covid” and they seemed to be close to captivity.

(grammatical edit)

Well, but eyeballing the map I can say that getting to 100 ft depth takes at least 4 times longer swim now.

A longer swim which I referred to as an annoyance...

I’m not quite sure where we are not connecting because I have agreed with everything you said?

A longer swim which I referred to as an annoyance...

I’m not quite sure where we are not connecting because I have agreed with everything you said?
Oh, OK sorry. If you look at your map, the peninsular with the new ramp looks kinda like a boot, sort of like a horizontal Italy. They could do better if they made the stairs in the area just N of the boot's heel, facing E. But they made the stairs as if they had a kiddy pool in mind.

Back
Top Bottom