New DPV - Dive Xtras

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here is the side by side comparison video I filmed with the original firmware and the new free update DiveX released for all BlackTip owners.

Yes, that's much better. But both the original and the changed version are still atonal. Dive Xtras should maybe adjust things so that the rising tones with each speed increase follow a major scale. Or, perhaps for those who have wrapped their scooters in blue, a pentatonic scale.

Yes, that's much better. But both the original and the changed version are still atonal. Dive Xtras should maybe adjust things so that the rising tones with each speed increase follow a major scale. Or, perhaps for those who have wrapped their scooters in blue, a pentatonic scale.

You want a scooter that serenades you while you accelerate through the gears?... Seems reasonable

There ARE 8 speeds. But, given the water a lot of us use these in, I think the scale should be Phrygian...

We should start a new dive licensing agency....Musical Dive Nerds United.

Sign me up for handling certification for polyrhythms and odd time signatures.

Stuartv thank you for the update info for mac, I was happy to know I didn't need a new computer to update my new Blacktip! Also thank everybody in this thread it finally convinced me to purchase a blacktip for ocean dives.

I am also hoping for longer Black tip upgrade for trim and extra batteries.

I really don't see extra batteries in the Blacktip future. They make bigger scooters that hold more batteries. The body diameter is such that you would be doubling the body length to add another set of batteries. Design wise just doesn't make sense.

But I do think a couple extra inches in length, move the batteries forward, fix the trim. That is a very easy upgrade that can be done with minimal work. Maybe something new for the next model year? The only thing I really find a lot of complaints about is the ability to trim.

The trim tube extension could be added between the cowling and the existing tube with an extension for the power cable if needed. A longer strap to hold it tight would round out the kit. This would be the easiest modification to make as it wouldn't affect the mounts for the batteries.

I really don't see extra batteries in the Blacktip future. They make bigger scooters that hold more batteries. The body diameter is such that you would be doubling the body length to add another set of batteries. Design wise just doesn't make sense.

But I do think a couple extra inches in length, move the batteries forward, fix the trim. That is a very easy upgrade that can be done with minimal work. Maybe something new for the next model year? The only thing I really find a lot of complaints about is the ability to trim.

There are dives I would like to do where I think 2 x 12Ah batteries are not enough. But, they are close to enough. The biggest issue is not wanting to plan a dive based on using ALL my battery capacity. So, a 2 - 2.5 hour dive would require all of 2 x 12s, and leave me with no reserve.

I think, also, if I were planning a dive that needed 2 hours of battery, that probably means a dive where I am going to be on the trigger pretty much the whole time. And for that, I don't care AS much about the trim. The BT trim is really only an issue (to me, anyway) when stopped. While actually driving, the only time I notice it at all is when turning and then it's not that big a deal. Caveat: That is based on using my tow cord at the 6/12 position and using a Lark's Head knot to attach the bolt snap to the tow cord. When I tried it with the bolt snap sliding freely on the tow cord, then a little constant pressure was needed to keep the nose from flipping up while driving. I have not tried the tow card at 3/9 o'clock, but I imagine that would be a nightmare, with the way the nose wants to flip up.

So, to ME, what would be pretty ideal would be a tube or tube extension that added 2 battery sockets and allowed you to use 2 batteries or, optionally 4. It would be the right length so that if you used 2 batteries, it would trim out. If you used 4, then it would be tail heavy, like it is now.

That would give everyone the trim we want with the current battery capacity. And, at least for me, give me extra battery for when I want that - which, for me, would generally be dives where I'm on the trigger the whole time and not concerned about how it trims out when stopped.

Also, that would make it where people who don't mind the trim of the current unit, but want longer run time without shelling out the big bucks for 12Ah batteries, could put in 4 of the Waitley 9Ah batteries. They would get double their current run time, for relatively cheap - as long as they don't mind still having it be tail heavy.

OK. I'm not in the mood to run through 37 pages.

Two things:

Is anyone using a 20 Volt 12 amp batteries in these? The Dewalt 20 Volt 12 Amp battery is absurdly priced. You can pick up (2) 9 amp batteries for the price of (1) 12 amp.

Also the front end boyance, can't this be fixed with some lead tape or small weight inside?

I don't scooter but the wife just asked me for a gift idea for my B-day!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom