New Equipment Today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Grover48

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
After a week of searching this forum, perusing manufacturers websites, bugging the dive shops, meeting divers and trying equipment, today I made the plunge.

I bought ScubaPro equipment, new, from the LDS. I got a KnightHawk BCD with the Air2, an Aladin PRIME 3 gauge console, and a Mark2 Plus first stage reg and an R295 second stage reg.

The stuff is great. I am looking forward to a few dives to get it trimmed before I leave for Cancun and Cozumel next week.

Congrats on the new equipment! Sounds like you did all your research before jumping in!! Have a great trip!!

I wish you nice diving with your new gear, now you can gain experiences and find what is better for you and adapt it to your further diving targets.

While you are in Coz, experiment with the weights in your Nighthawk. As I am sure you know, you have trim pockets by your shoulders. When I use mine, I find I am happiest with about as much weight in the shoulder pockets as in the regular weight pockets. You will find that the amount of weight you will use will be a compromise between the correct amount of weight you need (as determined by a weight check), the choices of weights in the boat, and your ability to distribute them.

For example, you should generally aim for the least weight you need to be able to hold your safety stop. If I am diving an aluminum 80 tank with a 3 mm wet suit, I like to have about 8 pounds total. If the boat has 2 pound weights available to me, I will put one in each of the four pockets.

What if the boat only has 3-pound weights and 4-pound weights on board? I could put 4-pound weights in each of the lower pockets, which is how most people dive. I have found, however, that I am much happier in that situation with 3-pound weights in all 4 pockets instead, for a total of 12 pounds. In fact, I was recently in a situation in which I had no choice but to use 2 5-pound weights in the lower pockets. It felt pretty good because it was close to my ideal weight, but when I dived with 4 3-pound weights the next day, I liked it even better.

Pay attention to your weighting as you dive and experiment with it from dive to dive. You and I are not the same person, and what works best for you may or may not be the same as what works for me. By the end of the week you should find that you are liking your Nighthawk more and more.

Grover48,

Congrats on your new gear purchase. You'll have a great time in Cancun and Cozumel!

If you're not used to having the Air2, please be an inquisitive Big Bird and learn/practice how to share air with a buddy while doing an ascent. It's trickier than getting Oscar to come out of his garbage can.

Before you leave...for the love of Jim Henson, please, oh please read the manual for your dive computer. Figure out what the deco screen looks like even if you don't intend to go into deco. Make Count von Count proud by learning what the numbers (deco ceiling, deco floor, etc.) are instructing you to do. As a newer diver, deco diving can be kind of like Snuffleupagus -- you hear about it and you know it exists but you might never see it. Learn how to change the level of conservativeness. Adopting a more conservative setting can keep you from looking all Frazzled. In case you're a Forgetful Jones, bring along the quick-start instruction manual on your trip. When all else fails, wave your hands over the computer and utter the words of the Amazing Mumford: "a la peanut butter sandwiches." That'll do the trick. :D

Have fun and dive safe.

Last edited:
Before you leave...for the love of Jim Henson, please, oh please read the manual for your dive computer.

Read it several times, and bring it with you.

The computer you have is a little less than intuitive in its functioning. I use it for a backup computer, and I have several times loaned it to people for various reasons. All have reported that they had a hard time figuring out what it was telling them without instruction.

You will also want to be able to do two things that are less than obvious: use the planning mode to understand your limits on the coming dive and check the logbook for information on your previous dives. Since this is my backup computer, and the primary one I use is not the same, I don't do this a lot, and I have a hard time remembering how to do it when I need to. If you have not gone through the instructions carefully, you won't figure it out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom