New Garmin Dive Computer: Descent G1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would be interested to hear people's opinions of a direct comparison between the G1 and MK2s, specifically as a backup dive computer and every day watch. My primary dive computer would be AI and I would also have a basic SPG.

And a Solar version:
I decided to go with the mk2i for the dive computer but also why have a watch that you only use for diving. I use mine everyday and hopefully I don't brake it in between diving season. Also just because it is air integrated I still kept the analog spg

I would be interested to hear people's opinions of a direct comparison between the G1 and MK2s, specifically as a backup dive computer and every day watch. My primary dive computer would be AI and I would also have a basic SPG.
Not sure how many people have both. I looked very closely at both. I mainly looked at these because I wanted a Smartwatch/Activity tracker that could also serve as a backup to my Perdix AI.

Functionally, I don’t think you’ll find much difference between the two apart from the screen and battery life. Both can do the same types of diving, and use the same algorithm, etc.

There were a couple of things that pushed me to the MK2s over the G1. First, the Quickfit watch band system was available in the G1 Solar and MK2s, but not the standard G1. That cut the price difference a bit, as the G1 Solar was $100 more. Next, I wasn’t sure I was a big fan of the G1 screen and looks. Fine for casual wear, but occasionally I have needed to dress up a bit when meeting with customers. The MK2s looked a bit more at home in a fancier environment. What finally pushed me to the MK2s was the rebate offered. At the time I bought, there was a rebate offered on the MK2, MK2i, and MK2s, but not on the G1s.

I also was able to knock 20% off on either through a work discount. Between that and the rebate, the additional cost for the color screen was negligible.

I wear my MK2s daily, and the charge is good for about a week. While the G1 and G1 Solar offer longer battery life, a week is fine with me. Screen is great. Very easy to read. If I were to do it again, I’d make the same choice. The Quickfit watch bands also come in handy. I bought a stainless steel band that I use most of the time. For diving, I swap in the silicone band. Takes about 30 seconds to swap, and no tools required.

Not sure how many people have both. I looked very closely at both. I mainly looked at these because I wanted a Smartwatch/Activity tracker that could also serve as a backup to my Perdix AI.

Functionally, I don’t think you’ll find much difference between the two apart from the screen and battery life. Both can do the same types of diving, and use the same algorithm, etc.

There were a couple of things that pushed me to the MK2s over the G1. First, the Quickfit watch band system was available in the G1 Solar and MK2s, but not the standard G1. That cut the price difference a bit, as the G1 Solar was $100 more. Next, I wasn’t sure I was a big fan of the G1 screen and looks. Fine for casual wear, but occasionally I have needed to dress up a bit when meeting with customers. The MK2s looked a bit more at home in a fancier environment. What finally pushed me to the MK2s was the rebate offered. At the time I bought, there was a rebate offered on the MK2, MK2i, and MK2s, but not on the G1s.

I also was able to knock 20% off on either through a work discount. Between that and the rebate, the additional cost for the color screen was negligible.

I wear my MK2s daily, and the charge is good for about a week. While the G1 and G1 Solar offer longer battery life, a week is fine with me. Screen is great. Very easy to read. If I were to do it again, I’d make the same choice.
I haven't seen either in person. As a watch would you say that the MK2s is more like a medium size Fenix and the G1 is more like the Instinct?

I haven't seen either in person. As a watch would you say that the MK2s is more like a medium size Fenix and the G1 is more like the Instinct?
Yeah, pretty much. I think the MK2s is the same size as the Fenix S versions. The G1 is based on the Instinct. Physically, they are pretty close. G1 is slightly larger at the bezel, but the screen on the MK2s is actually a bit bigger. The bezel on the G1 is a bit thicker and polymer hike the MK2s bezel is stainless steel and a bit thinner.

Resolution on the MK2s display is better as well. So, with the MK2s you get a bigger, better (resolution and color) screen in a slightly smaller package. I found the MK2 and MK2i to be too large for my preference as a daily watch. The MK2s is pretty much perfectly sized for me. G1 would have been fine as well as they are real close.

The G1 looked a bit G-Shockish for me, while the MK2s appeared more at home in a variety of environments. Not too gaudy for t shirt and shorts, but fancy enough if I have to ditch the jeans.

Band size is a bit different. G1 uses the slightly larger 22mm band while the MK2s uses a 20mm band.

Yeah, pretty much. I think the MK2s is the same size as the Fenix S versions. The G1 is based on the Instinct. Physically, they are pretty close. G1 is slightly larger at the bezel, but the screen on the MK2s is actually a bit bigger. The bezel on the G1 is a bit thicker and polymer hike the MK2s bezel is stainless steel and a bit thinner.

Resolution on the MK2s display is better as well. So, with the MK2s you get a bigger, better (resolution and color) screen in a slightly smaller package. I found the MK2 and MK2i to be too large for my preference as a daily watch. The MK2s is pretty much perfectly sized for me. G1 would have been fine as well as they are real close.

The G1 looked a bit G-Shockish for me, while the MK2s appeared more at home in a variety of environments. Not too gaudy for t shirt and shorts, but fancy enough if I have to ditch the jeans.

Band size is a bit different. G1 uses the slightly larger 22mm band while the MK2s uses a 20mm band.
Based on what you said, I'll probably watch for rebates, maybe end of year. I don't really need the watch. I have a primary AI computer and a SPG. The puts me in a good place as a consumer. I can wait for a killer deal and like you, get the price difference tighter. Eventually, I'd like to have a primary AI computer, a backup and my SPG for complete redundancy.

There were a couple of things that pushed me to the MK2s over the G1. First, the Quickfit watch band system was available in the G1 Solar and MK2s, but not the standard G1.
If I were to do it again, I’d make the same choice. The Quickfit watch bands also come in handy. I bought a stainless steel band that I use most of the time. For diving, I swap in the silicone band. Takes about 30 seconds to swap, and no tools required.
I love the Quickfit watch bands on my Mk2i, so this is a definite advantage to the G1 solar and Mk2s.

I see Garmin is doing a $100 rebate and I can get a $150 veteran's discount on the MK2s. So I could get it for $750 shipped right now - tempted.

Looks like the MK2s has the same size viewable screen as the old MK1 even though the total physical size is comfortably smaller from a daily watch standpoint.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom