New Garmin Dive Computer: Descent G1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't "hate" AI, but I do find it odd that we never had the need for back up SPG's growing up, but now there is a need for back up AI?
Personal choice. I have been diving hoseless AI since 2010. I have used a SPG on 12 dives, 0.7%. Some of these were my fault and some were not. I had a dead primary AI computer battery for 2 dives, a dead transmitter battery for 2 dives, a transmitter failure for 5 dives, forgot to install the transmitter on a reg set for 2 dives, and no transmitter on a loaner reg set for 1 dive when I developed a 1st stage air leak.

During this same time, I have had an SPG air leak three times, and replaced the spool, which I carry in my save a dive kit.

I have needed a backup computer for just 2 dives, 0.12%, during the above computer battery failure.

So, I have had no dives interrupted or lost due to AI computer or transmitter failure, just the way I want it :)

I don't "hate" AI, but I do find it odd that we never had the need for back up SPG's growing up, but now there is a need for back up AI?
There isn’t really a need for a backup. Unfortunately, there were early issues with AI transmitter connection (usually with Suunto) that lead to some concerns. Despite, increased reliability since then, some still feel there is a need to carry a backup SPG on each dive. There really isn’t, in most cases.

Nothing is 100% reliable. SPGs can fail, transmitters can fail. Personally, I prefer the failure mode of the transmitters to that of the SPGs, as it should be immediately obvious that there is a problem.

I personally carry a backup SPG in my Save a Dive kit. It stays on the boat. I check function before the dive, and dive with one less hose.

It's working very well. I like that I can broadcast heart rate to my smart trainer software and to my on-bike GPS. It also acts as a backup for the times that my on-bike GPS battery dies. I've been a Garmin Connect user for years to track my mileage and stats so this just adds more data points.

The G1 also can track Pulse OX levels. I've got it set up to track it while I sleep. I've never tracked sleep patterns before so that's been interesting. Glad to see my fitness age, according to Garmin, is more than 10 years younger than my real age!

This seems to have turned into a thread about AI vs. non-AI, but I'm interested to hear more about the G1. Do you have any further impressions after a few more weeks with it? I'm in the market for a new smart watch that I don't have to charge every day, and the battery life on this seems incredible. How effective is the solar charging feature?

I'm assuming you haven't dived with it yet based on your previous post, but I'd be interested to hear from you or anyone else on that too. My primary motivation to buy would be for the smart watch battery life, but having it as a capable backup -- or even primary -- DC would be a very tempting bonus.

I have one that sadly I've only been able to pool laps with. I'll post when I can actually test it out

I have a MK2i and my good friend who just got certified picked up a G1 non solar. We set it up to match my settings and spent a week in marathon over spring break spearfishing. The screen is easy to see (clear keys water) and matched my MK2i for the week. Battery life was great, charged it once over the week. Love that it can sync with the InReach/active captain. When my daughter gets certified this summer, I’ll pick one up for her. I doesn’t have the mapping capability of the MK2i buts that only real difference in function, that I could find.

This seems to have turned into a thread about AI vs. non-AI, but I'm interested to hear more about the G1. Do you have any further impressions after a few more weeks with it? I'm in the market for a new smart watch that I don't have to charge every day, and the battery life on this seems incredible. How effective is the solar charging feature?

I'm assuming you haven't dived with it yet based on your previous post, but I'd be interested to hear from you or anyone else on that too. My primary motivation to buy would be for the smart watch battery life, but having it as a capable backup -- or even primary -- DC would be a very tempting bonus.
The G1 has been fantastic as a training device. I mostly bike ride and it has replaced my Garmin Edge bike computer although I do use the Edge to display my stats, especially heart rate so I can stay in a specific training zone. This data all gets munged into the Garmin Cloud where they analyze and spits out all kinds of data that I also have sent to Strava. Pretty amazing, in my opinion.

I cannot judge how good the Solar is yet, but there is a display that shows you how much 'solar intensity' it has received on a daily basis. It is still pretty much winter in Michigan so haven't spent much time with it in the sun.

I have had it on the charger maybe 3 times in the past couple weeks and have only run it down to 9 days remaining. It charges up in a couple of hours to 16 days. I have been wearing it to track sleeping and Pulse OX overnight, which is a battery drain. Turning Pulse OX off would, according to Garmin, give you 23 days at full charge. We'll see how this works out when I spend most of my days outside in the sun.

As an aside, I find it very readable without my reading glasses (I am older and have to wear 'em!).

I only read a few of the posts, but I wanted to mention that MAKO Spearguns is NOW stocking this watch.

If you are interested in it, give us a call and let us know you heard about it on Scubaboard!

thanks
dano

I only read a few of the posts, but I wanted to mention that MAKO Spearguns is not stocking this watch.

If you are interested in it, give us a call and let us know you heard about it on Scubaboard!

thanks
dano
Hmmmm - NOT stocking this watch, but call you? I think you meant to say NOW stocking this watch? :wink:

Hmmmm - NOT stocking this watch, but call you? I think you meant to say NOW stocking this watch? :wink:

Well thanks very much! Maybe when I have a cold and take cold medicine, I should go to bed by midnight!

I'm going to fix my post, but seriously that is a pretty embarrassing mistake.

thanks
dano

Well thanks very much! Maybe when I have a cold and take cold medicine, I should go to bed by midnight!

I'm going to fix my post, but seriously that is a pretty embarrassing mistake.

thanks
dano
So you're not now stocking or now not stocking the Garmin?

OMMOHY

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom