New Garmin Dive Computer: Descent G1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The G1 has been fantastic as a training device. I mostly bike ride and it has replaced my Garmin Edge bike computer although I do use the Edge to display my stats, especially heart rate so I can stay in a specific training zone. This data all gets munged into the Garmin Cloud where they analyze and spits out all kinds of data that I also have sent to Strava. Pretty amazing, in my opinion.

I cannot judge how good the Solar is yet, but there is a display that shows you how much 'solar intensity' it has received on a daily basis. It is still pretty much winter in Michigan so haven't spent much time with it in the sun.

I have had it on the charger maybe 3 times in the past couple weeks and have only run it down to 9 days remaining. It charges up in a couple of hours to 16 days. I have been wearing it to track sleeping and Pulse OX overnight, which is a battery drain. Turning Pulse OX off would, according to Garmin, give you 23 days at full charge. We'll see how this works out when I spend most of my days outside in the sun.

As an aside, I find it very readable without my reading glasses (I am older and have to wear 'em!).
Okay, I’m sold. I just ordered one and am looking forward to testing it out. I cannot wait to ditch my Apple Watch that needs recharging every 24 hours (at best) and not have to just accept that I won’t have a watch after the first day of every camping trip. I’ve got a three-week trip to Tanzania coming up this summer — including two days diving in the Indian Ocean — and having a watch that will make the trip on one or two charges and serve as a backup DC to my Peregrine should be fantastic.

Okay, I’m sold. I just ordered one and am looking forward to testing it out. I cannot wait to ditch my Apple Watch that needs recharging every 24 hours (at best) and not have to just accept that I won’t have a watch after the first day of every camping trip. I’ve got a three-week trip to Tanzania coming up this summer — including two days diving in the Indian Ocean — and having a watch that will make the trip on one or two charges and serve as a backup DC to my Peregrine should be fantastic.
Be sure to post some photos when you receive it, curious of the side by side size comparison with the Apple watch :)

N
Also interested in a comparison to the Apple Watch. I’m was in market for a new Apple Watch, then decided to start diving. I’m an OW diver I training and have my OW cert in May. I may hold off on a new Apple Watch and opt for the G1. I love the idea about the AI and the MK2i but not having taken one breath from a reg… I’m not sure AI will be for me or not.

I know the cost really isn’t a factor but if I went with the G1 I could put the MK2i money towards my own reg set and have money left over.

I know the cost really isn’t a factor but if I went with the G1 I could put the MK2i money towards my own reg set and have money left over.
This makes a lot of sense. I know the G1 doesn't have the full color screen, and there are some things it can't do that the iWatch can. Not sure of those are important to you, or not.

However, for a first dive computer and activity/smart watch the G1 checks a lot of boxes at a reasonable price. If that allows you to invest in other gear and do more diving, then it's a win in my book. You can add another computer with AI down the road if you want.

AI without a doubt is not a necessity. Lots of divers do lots of dives without AI. Likewise, lots of divers do lots of dives with AI. Neither method is wrong.

I have the MK2i and had an Apple Watch and have some dive experience with the G1.

The garmins are vastly superior to the Apple Watch in everything but a few things. First ability to make calls and respond to messages. It is nice to be able to leave your phone and still have a way to be connected, but you’re ALWAYS connected. Second, garmin pay isn’t widely accepted and doesn’t allow Amex and many banks don’t participate even with visa. No touch screen but if the apple screen is wet or your hands are, it becomes useless. The apple screen in bright sun and polarized glasses makes it difficult to see. Havent had that problem with the mk2i. G1 screen is fine but monochrome, distant third.

The Garmins are way better as a fitness/lifestyle watch. The apps are good. Ability to connect to other garmin devices, like InReach and active captain. Battery life is amazing. Company philosophies and priorities are vastly different.

Apple battery life is an absolute joke. Won’t even last a day if you use cellular or fitness apps.

I don’t use AI at the moment and considered swapping my MK2i for a G1 (or two) but I do use the mapping features when camping/hiking and didn’t want to have to load and unload maps on the G1.

I have the MK2i and had an Apple Watch and have some dive experience with the G1.

The garmins are vastly superior to the Apple Watch in everything but a few things. First ability to make calls and respond to messages. It is nice to be able to leave your phone and still have a way to be connected, but you’re ALWAYS connected. Second, garmin pay isn’t widely accepted and doesn’t allow Amex and many banks don’t participate even with visa. No touch screen but if the apple screen is wet or your hands are, it becomes useless. The apple screen in bright sun and polarized glasses makes it difficult to see. Havent had that problem with the mk2i. G1 screen is fine but monochrome, distant third.

The Garmins are way better as a fitness/lifestyle watch. The apps are good. Ability to connect to other garmin devices, like InReach and active captain. Battery life is amazing. Company philosophies and priorities are vastly different.

Apple battery life is an absolute joke. Won’t even last a day if you use cellular or fitness apps.

I don’t use AI at the moment and considered swapping my MK2i for a G1 (or two) but I do use the mapping features when camping/hiking and didn’t want to have to load and unload maps on the G1.

Do you wear your MK2i daily? I've seen some reviewers who have said it feels a little bulky to wear 24/7, while sleeping in particular. I know the specs of the MK and the G1, but how different do they look/feel on the wrist?

Part of what appeals to me about the G1 is it slightly smaller, lighter profile. But I'm not a small guy (6'3") so maybe it's not an issue either way.

First ability to make calls and respond to messages. It is nice to be able to leave your phone and still have a way to be connected, but you’re ALWAYS connected.

I enjoy not getting emails and texts on a boat about work, but I can see how some would enjoy that feature:wink: Soon as my watch gets next to my phone....buzz kill.
Second, garmin pay isn’t widely accepted and doesn’t allow Amex and many banks don’t participate even with visa.
I have yet to have a place that hasn't accepted my contactless payment with Garmin MK2i and have used it in the US and Mexico. To me is seems if it has a contactless icon, it works.

As far as banks that don't participate, I'm sure that it is possible to run into a few that don't but they have all the banks that I have ever used.
I don’t use AI at the moment
With how much trackable info you can get with a POD it is a very nice feature and I wouldn't have purchased the mk2i over my m1 if it didn't have the option. It is also ...nice to see additional constant calculation readouts like ATR and current RMV.
Do you wear your MK2i daily? I've seen some reviewers who have said it feels a little bulky to wear 24/7, while sleeping in particular. I know the specs of the MK and the G1, but how different do they look/feel on the wrist?
I wear my mk2i daily and I can see if you had a small wrist that it could easily feel too bulky to wear. The only thing that bothers me when I sleep is the green and red light if I tilt my wrist.

I wear MK2i daily and it took a little getting used to but it’s a good size. I’m 5’10 185. The G1 is more of a normal watch size and weight.

My bank, Charles Schwab, does not participate with garmin pay, neither does my credit union. I have another card linked and have run into locations that don’t accept it. Live in Tampa.

I haven't worn a watch for 20+ years (since I started carrying a smartphone) so I was hesitant to get a smartwatch but the G1 seemed to fit the bill (relatively inexpensive, light, smallish). I bought a $20 metal band which makes it look a little less like a G Shock and less "sweaty." It's been a month or so and I've become used to wearing it pretty quickly and don't notice it anymore.

I was hoping there would be a minimalist analog watch face for the G1 similar to those available for the Mk1/Mk2 but I haven't found one and the dedicated small subscreen seems to rule that out. It's always going to look like a G Shock to a certain extent.

I am very happy with the longevity of the battery. I have the non solar version and I have only charged the phone twice since I got it.

It's cool to have the fitness tracking though it hasn't changed my lifestyle. Hydration prompts are useful reminders.

I was surprised to find there is not a calendar/planning feature in the mobile app (the calendar seems to provide historical fitness data only). I get Google Calendar notifications so it's OK but it could be more seamless if Garmin incorporated that.

The smart watch notifications are hit and miss. Sometimes it misses new messages and then I get a bunch of notifications at once when it syncs with the phone. I find it annoying that the watch shows the start of the IM thread and you have to scroll down to see the latest message. At least I get to see who messaged me and I can decide whether it's something I need to check now or later.

Garmin pay doesn't interest me, at least so far. I rarely use contactless payments, only when I forget my wallet and I have a card set up on my phone for that.

I like the GPS tracking for dives. I use the G1 on a float if I need to mark and interesting find during a dive. Other than that, the dive features are a backup to my Perdix, which is much easier for my aging eyes to read and is more intuitive (or maybe I am just much more accustomed to it).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom