New gear purchase survey 2010

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just got my OW C card in February and have 20 dives. I decided to go for spending less money in the short term knowing ahead of time that I will eventually replace my gear with better equipment one piece at a time. Based on the reviews though, I feel comfortable that this package will get me wet comfortably and safely!

Oceanic Recession Buster Package
Ocean Pro BCD
GT3 second stage with CDX5 first stage and alpha 8 octo
Veo 100 computer
Nikon Coolpix L22 with Ikelite enclosure
Dive knife (can't remember the brand)

I had a hard time deciding on gear with all the options out there. At first I combed craigslist and the classifieds here, but it was too hard to find all the pieces I wanted while staying within budget. Being so new to the sport, there are a lot of things I don't know. I would have liked to get into a good BP/W setup since I know that eventually I'd like to do tech/cave/wreck dives but that is probably going to be years away and by buying a package I was able to save a good chunk of change that I can use to dive more. I can't wait to get in the water next month, and I'm actually excited to do my buoyancy check since my LDS has been overloading me with 40lbs of weight all this time which it sounds like is what is making it difficult for me to hold my safety stops in a free ascent...

All my gear purchases this year (drysuits, deco tanks, reels, regs, harness, and a whole lotta other "must haves" that continue to feed my tech/cave diving addictions) have been "lovingly used" with the exception of a NiMH battery pack for my 21w canister light. That purchase came with a bit of sticker :shocked2:

Oh yeah, and those pesky fill cards at Fill Express that seem to keep running out :wink:

But I have found an incredible source of DEEP DEEP DEEPLY discounted tech gear . . .

(netmage's garage) :rofl3:

Directions to Netmage's garage, please, I've got a few more stuff to pick up. :wink:

Lets see, this year
: Two Halcyon 36# wings
: Hog black face SPG
: Apeks 2nd stage ( aTX 200 )
: probably a whole bunch more sh!t
Why? I "needed" it.
:)

Next will be a new ( or used ) drysuit. I need a DUI XL (pretty sure XL is my size) Time to replace my CF200

I never dive wrecks. Not something I am interested in. I usually dive at 40-60ft and when traveling to Cozumel I dive at 80 then ascend to 60 and finish dive at 40. While to this day I never technically ran out of air I did, however find myself once with 500psi during a safety stop diving in 30ft waters. Spare air is by no means a guarantee to save my life but knowing that when all my other options are exhausted I have that much more time to react to the situation.

I always start ascending at 1000psi and hover about 20 feet above the reef until 800 and then ascend to make my safety stop. If there is nothing to film then I ascend with 1000psi. Since my own safety is in my own hands I prefer not to take chances.

While I understand your intent.... with proper training, you should be able to do a safe ascent to the surface from 40-60ft. Thus not needing such a piece of gear.

Is this not included with today's open water courses?

I had to swim up with my air completely shut off and a SSI instructor dangling off the valve just in case.

I started ascent from 40 and at 25ft I was 90% out of air. By time I got to the surface I understood what instructor tried to prove to his students. That in no way influenced my decision of purchasing spare air. I got certified in 2007 and dove over 100 times and traveled all over the place before even considering buying it. I am now sitting at about 110 dives and cant wait to give it a test shot.

My trial by fire will include ascending and doing a safety stop using spare air to see how many breaths I can get out of it. Anything over 30 would be super.

Also I am testing it to find out how it will affect my buoyancy.

Purchased a Pinnacle freedom 2 drysuit, hood, and undergarment. Could not pass it up. I had been looking at drysuits for a while and this was a great deal that got me into diving dry.

I had to swim up with my air completely shut off and a SSI instructor dangling off the valve just in case.

I started ascent from 40 and at 25ft I was 90% out of air. By time I got to the surface I understood what instructor tried to prove to his students. That in no way influenced my decision of purchasing spare air. I got certified in 2007 and dove over 100 times and traveled all over the place before even considering buying it. I am now sitting at about 110 dives and cant wait to give it a test shot.

My trial by fire will include ascending and doing a safety stop using spare air to see how many breaths I can get out of it. Anything over 30 would be [-]super[/-] a miracle.

Also I am testing it to find out how it will affect my buoyancy.

Fixed that for you.

If you must have a redundant air source buy a pony tank and lose the silly toy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom