New gear purchase survey 2010

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...buying new gear to replace $6K worth of my gear stolen in south FL last month by some @#$%^&%^%$#@ (you fill in the appropriate part part / genetic relationship / whatever) who pried open the door on a trailer that 4 of us were using on a dive trip, and walked away with almost $19K worth of stuff. ...

Heard the story. That really sucks. Good job finishing the Tec dives anyways. I'da cried and went home with my tail between my legs.

Anyways, for me in 2010:

New Cressi BC & Reg set with Archimedes II for my very soon to be certified wife. Also got her a 5/3m full Henderson. I got AquaLung slingshot fins so my wife could have my old ones. Henderson hooded vest for the cold quarries.

And just arrived today, 2 Catalina AL80's. Electric blue. So pretty i'm gonna hate getting them wet.

The biggest influence on my purchases was price. The tanks were ~250 shipped. I figure with rentals they will pay for themselves in a couple years. I chose cressi gear for my wife because I got used cressi equipment from my OW class and she likes all my stuff.

A new Nikon/Ikelite camera w/housing.....and that's it so far. Oh, and 2 airline tickets to Cozumel in September!!!

Aaannndddd.....Miflex hoses for my reg set, and I'm looking to replace my everyday BC(which is the Mares Aliikai travel BC) for a Zeagle Ranger W (I think).

My husband is getting a new reg set (as yet unknown) and we'll get getting 4 Nitrox tanks (size and type to be decided).

I will also be getting a second job, to support my habit.

Suunto Helo2
7ft miflex hoses
Halcyon BP/W

Henderson Hyperstrech WS 5mil -LOVE IT!!!
Hollis F1 Fins- LOVE THEM! Much faster than my Jets
Sea Snips Shears- much better grip and power than my medical shears.

Carolyn:shark2:

Last edited:
Hollis F1 Fins- LOVE THEM! Much faster than my Jets

I have seen this result first hand......the lead F1 diver lost the two JETS divers in their dust and effortlessly. Hopefully Hollis will make the second generation F1 with a bigger pocket so I can wear them.

Bought all my gear this year...

Cressi Eclipse Titanium (MC9) & octo - Tried out a bunch of regs in a pool and the Cressi felt the best. I was very excited to find it rather inexpensively online...
Mares Pegasus BC - Price and features... It was a GREAT price and had all the features I was looking for in addition to being well reviewed online
Oceanic Veo180 PDC - Price is responsible for the model, but I was interested in the more liberal Oceanic computers
Pinnacle 5mm FJ & J - I wanted a 1 piece 7mm but figured that the 2 pc 5mm would be more versatile. If I were doing it over I think that I'd go with a 1 piece 7/5 as I think what I've got is more bulk than I need... I wasn't cold at <50F for more than 15 - 20 minutes. The pinnacle was well reviewed and lives up to the reviews, so I'm happy with that.

Bought a Diverite manifold yesterday. None of my regs fit. The DIN holes are too deep and I cant seem to be able to get a seal. Very disappointed. Might have to do something about that before I go diving. Tape?

Mares Dragon BC
Mares Abyss 22 Regulator
Mares Air Control Air 2
Aeris Elite T3
Pinnacle 7mm Wet Suit

For the Mares stuff I have previous good experience with Mares products. They were also one of the only brands/models that had consistently good reviews, I was also drawn in by the 2yr service interval, and the metal construction in for the regulator. I also like the fact that they are one of few manufacturer's that don't black list online retailers/purchases (welcome to 2010 guys, get with the program).

The Aeris seemed to be the best computer for the money, and a buddy of mine has one so if I feel like strangling him during a dive I can check his air and vise versa. The previous applies here too, they are willing to support online retailing of their products.

The pinnacle wet suit, well it was cheap and seemed to be reasonable quality and had good reviews online.

More to add, yay!!

~2 Aqualung Titan Regulators
~2 Aqualung Titan Octopi (is that right? lol)

We decided to buy them because they are the same ones we used in our class and we really liked them and these were the ones he used for his classes for only a year, so they were discounted!

Hopefully soon I will be getting an Aqualung Full 5mm suit (yes I know that's a bit thick, but it was really comfortable in the springs, which is what I plan to dive a lot of)

Also hope to get 2 BC's and 2 comps this year but we will see.... (crosses fingers)

YAY!! I finally got my wetsuit (the one I mentioned above) a 5mm Full Aqualung suit! :)

I'm so excited, my next "purchase" will be (hopefully) this week and it will be rental gear so I can go diving sometime within the week! :)

In 2010 I have purchased Scubapro MK17/G250V w/ Scubapro R395 Octo, Scubapro Glide Pro BCD, Scubapro Seawing Nova fins, Scubapro Everflex 7mm Steamer, Aeris 100s and 2 Catalina 80's. For the most part my decisions have been based on the warranty and testimony of the other individuals I have been diving with. So far I am 100% happy with the purchases I made.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom