New guy here!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Hey guys just wanted to introduce myself! I live in Sanger, which is just north of Denton, and I have Lake Ray Roberts practically quarter mile away from my house. I was just curious where everybody here goes diving at? and some recommendations on some essential gear and shops. I dont have any Scuba experience, I do consider myself an "above average swimmer", and i like to some shallow snorkeling, I used to dive for golf balls on some courses with just goggles and a snorkel. And Ive been really wanting to get into the world of scuba diving! So thanks for all the help and any advice helps! Looking forward to getting to know all yall!

Welcome! I am not familiar with the Northern lakes. Just wanted to welcome you to the board.

Welcome! If you're ever in Central Texas, I'll be happy to go diving with you, show you around.

Welcome! I live in Prosper (so not too far from you). I dive mainly at The Scuba Ranch at Clear Springs or in Lake Travis near Austin. Well truthfully, I dive on vacations more than anything. I am headed to Cozumel and Roatan next month. I am not really a fan of local diving...it's more for training and just blowing bubbles.

Are you certified already? If not, I know there is a dive shop in Denton. I deal with Scuba Frisco almost exclusively (I like the owner and team). International Scuba also has some great reviews. I am sure there are other good shops, however I am not familiar with them.

As far as gear, if you want a full setup, you will need the following:
  • BCD
  • Regulator (1st stage, and two second stages)
  • Gauges (pressure gauge and depth gauge...or you can look at integrated dive computers)
  • fins
  • mask and snorkel (if you have a snorkel, it will probably work)
  • Tank
Beyond that, you can look at knifes, lights, etc.. Be warned...the initial investment can be pricey. Many certified divers don't own their own gear. They tend to rent gear on vacations.

I don't know your area but I would buy the best regulator you can afford, if you have a good diver friend who can help you evaluate the gear I would consider buying used. Used gear can sometimes get you higher quality gear than you would normally buy. I can tell you now that you will probably out grow the first set of gear you buy, not physical size but skill and comfort level. The brands all work fine but try to buy something that the shop you choose to associate with the most can do repairs on and keeps basic service parts in stock.
The best diving in Texas is the Gulf of Mexico but these trips are sometimes hard to schedule mainly due to the distance traveled and the weather.

howdy and welcome from southeast florida......good luck with your diving adventures.

Our son and his family live in Cross Roads not far from you. Unfortunately they're not divers! Welcome to Scubaboard!
I used to live in Cross Roads myself. Moved to Denton back in 2016.

@samuel martin I'm just down the road from you in Denton so I can help you with lots of info, etc. From the way your post reads, it seems that's you're not yet a certified diver. I'll PM you info on that.

As far as local diving, most people go either to Scuba Ranch in Terrell, which is about an hour and a half away or travel another 45 minutes or so to Athens Scuba Park in Athens. Both are great places to learn to dive and get some experience dialing in buoyancy, etc. I know one person that dove a single tank in Lake Lewisville and he said the visibilty was less than a foot. I wouldn't expect much out of Ray Roberts, but I personally haven't made any dives there and have yet to find any videos online of that, either.

Hit me up if you want some info, suggestions, etc. and I'll help in any way I can.

I used to live in Cross Roads myself. Moved to Denton back in 2016.

@samuel martin I know one person that dove a single tank in Lake Lewisville and he said the visibilty was less than a foot. I wouldn't expect much out of Ray Roberts, but I personally haven't made any dives there and have yet to find any videos online of that, either.

Hit me up if you want some info, suggestions, etc. and I'll help in any way I can.

Ray Roberts clarity is more like Lake Travis. Lake Lewisville is really bad.

Do you think Athens is nicer than Scuba Ranch?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom