New in the Philippenes, coming around nov. or dec. fly to Manilia, Good idea? im flex

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

crunch35

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
There will be 2 of us in november or december. just wanting to know if Manilia is a good place to dive? we will be on a tight budget, only be there for 10 days. what do you think?

Around Manilla there are three famous places.

Subic Bay, A lot of wrecks, need AOW at least since it is deep. I recommend Johans Dive resort where I did my OW.
Anilao, "Macro Heaven", never been there. It is the closest to Manilla.
Puerto Galera, I was there diving half a year ago, really cheap but good service and nice reefs, some really close dive sites also. I lived and dived with Big Apple dive resort.

You can find tons of info about those places on the internet and on this forum.

Manila Bay is probably not too hygienic for scuba diving.
Anilao(macro) and Subic Bay(wreck) are the closest and both are accessible by public transport.
Puerto Galera is also within easy reach(bus + ferry).
Anilao is resort based and dead quiet at night. While the other two will offer various selection ie. dive operators, entertainment, non-diving activities, restaurants etc etc.

Big Apple in PG has very cheap room during low season.
Nov to Dec is normally the peak season for most places in the country.

Crunch,
If your going to be based in Manila there is a ton of info on the board about Anilao, PG and Subic. I think you will be pleasantly surprised. There are a couple of reliable shops and independent Instructors up there to help you if the board does not have adequate info...

Cheers

Subic - Wrecks and reefs (don't blame me if you came here and didn't visit them :wink:). Some of the wreck are deeper than 30m, so AOW is ideal for those sites. There's also plenty of wrecks in OW level ranges. Reefs are shallow with a good variety of marine life.

Photos (from the reefs):
One day and an Evening in Subic Bay - Philippines Underwater Photos

Article:
Wreck Dive Subic Bay

To get there: Victory Liner bus from Pasay/EDSA, takes 3-4 hours, costs 250php max.
To stay there: Budget rooms from 1000php per night.

Anilao - Reefs and walls. Some of the best macro/muck diving in the world - weird and wonderful small critters, some bigger stuff. Resorts are more expensive (especially for a single traveller). Lots of shore dives available, which keeps costs down.

Photos:
Scuba Diving Photographs from the Philippines

Article:
Anilao Scuba Diving Trips and PADI Courses

To get there: Bus from Manila to Mabini (see threads here on SB), then jeepney/trike to resort.
To stay there: Resorts at approx 2500-4000php per night

Puerto Galera - Reeds and walls. More chance of pelagics than Anilao. Cheaper accommodation options. Longer journey time to reach. Less shore diving, but some fantastic sites available by boat.

To get there: Bus from Manila to Batangas, then ferry to Puerto Galera. Daily bus, leaves at 8am. Arrives after lunch in PG.
To stay there: Budget rooms from approx 1000php per night.

Other Destinations: Bargain internal/national flights to Cebu, Bohol or Palawan. From 800-5000php for a flight, depending if there is a good promo on. Malapascua and Moalboal reachable from Cebu, via bus/ferry. Bohol by air directly. Palawan for resorts and access to Coron wrecks.

Any questions, feel free to ask. :)

There will be 2 of us in november or december. just wanting to know if Manilia is a good place to dive? we will be on a tight budget, only be there for 10 days. what do you think?

I think Puerto Galera is good. Angelyn resort is very cheap but clean and close to dive shop such natural born divers or big apple.
This two dive shops are located in the centre of the little town and restaurants.
www.pgdiving.com for more details

I guess it depends just "how tight" your budget is.
As it was mentioned early Anilao resorts can be more for the single traveler. Plus during the week days you will have the place to yourself, so there is no one to share the cost of the DM and boat (banka). I would consider PG. You can stay pretty cheap there if needed less $20 night in a few places. Mark at Searider is about the least expensive dive shop in Sabang/Small LaLaguna, but a very good shop.
Take care

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom