• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

New kid in town

Discussion in 'Basic Scuba' started by Scuba Leon, Nov 14, 2004.

Can I be trained to be a DM in 6 months?

1. Yes

14 vote(s)
    63.6%
  2. No

8 vote(s)
    36.4%
  1. HowieDean

HowieDean Instructor, Scuba

Pop off to Roatan or Utila and do it in 10 days.
    If you need more info let me know and I'll hook you up with some people.
    Costs about 550 plus air and accomidations.

2. Warren_L

Warren_L Instructor, Scuba

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    It's not so much the time in months or years that determine whether you can do your DM, but rather what you do during that time. If you get the dives in to sharpen your skills and increase your confidence, and spend the time working with various instructors, there's no reason why you can't. But to do so in 6 months takes a big commitment.....

3. DORSETBOY

DORSETBOY Instructor, Scuba

If you work at a dive school every day for several months then it's no prob to get the experience necessary to be a dm, as far as I'm concerned the main thing is getting in the dives and experience. I did several hundred dives in a couple of months doing my dmt whereas before that point because of work constaints I had done about a hundred over a few years. I think it's better to get several months intensive experience of doing your dmt rather than doing it at weekends over a year or more.

4. DORSETBOY

DORSETBOY Instructor, Scuba

Isn't experience about the diving? If so then diving intensively over a period of six months is going to get you more experience than diving occasionally over a longer period of time.

5. Scuba Leon

Scuba Leon Instructor, Scuba

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Ok,
    thank you for your concerns. I really want to commit myself in becoming a good DM. I want to learn something during every dive, say practice the basic skills over and over again. Let's hope I encounter instructors who are willing to set up a plan.

6. emtdan

emtdan Divemaster Candidate

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    I know that DM CAN be done in 3.5 weeks, as i have seen it done, but i dont think it's wise. I think that the interns are not geting as much as they could out of teh course.

7. NEWreckDiver

NEWreckDiver Captain

Slow down just a little. With 15 dives logged, you haven't been diving long enough. Get some more training and then simply go diving. I am sure that you will make a great DM one day. But you simply need to dive more. Take the job, enjoy the experience.

Being a DM is serious business. People are now relying on you for a lot things. Not just helping them with gearing up. But when things go very wrong, you have to react to the situation. You may be required to save a life, Are you ready for that?

Again, go and dive. I am sure someday you will make a great DM, you just aren't ready yet.

Good Luck

8. Nomaster

Nomaster Solo Diver

# of Dives: 25 - 49
    The caution:
    Further important caution: (The caveat is soooo true!)
    Some positive feedback:
    DO IT LIKE THIS!:
    I wanted to say all those things and maybe talk a little more, but I get long winded and everyone else already gave you the good information.
    Now that your thread has been moved, and this wasn't actually a greeting, how about saying hello in the "Introductions and Greetings" forum and get a proper ScubaBoard WELCOME!!!

You make, "GOOD LUCK!!" by working hard.

Tom