New knife: 48 cents

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonnythan

Knight Scublar
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My new dive knife!

Walking around Wal Mart tonight, and I spotted these. Both knives for 96 cents. 3" Stainless steel blade, 7" overall. Fits perfectly into the sheath for my shears, which are now in the drysuit pocket.

Should I grind down the tip? Why/why not?

knife1.jpg

knife2.jpg

knife3.jpg

BTW, anyone want to buy a UK Blue Tang with rubber leg straps?

Don't grind it down...
score it with a file (doesn't take much)
put it in a vise with the part to snap off sticking up
whack it with a hammer (doesn't take much)

I would worry about a dive knife that isn't serrated. After all, it's not the stabbing motion you're concerned about with one of the little knives - it's the sawing back and forth to cut through rope, net, monofilament, kelp etc. action.

I would hate to try to cut through fishing line or rope without a serrated edge.

Uncle Pug once bubbled...
Don't grind it down...
score it with a file (doesn't take much)
put it in a vise with the part to snap off sticking up
whack it with a hammer (doesn't take much)

Wouldn't that leave a couple of nasty sharp edges that a grinding would get rid of?

Boogie711 once bubbled...
I would worry about a dive knife that isn't serrated. After all, it's not the stabbing motion you're concerned about with one of the little knives - it's the sawing back and forth to cut through rope, net, monofilament, kelp etc. action.

I would hate to try to cut through fishing line or rope without a serrated edge.

It's serrated. That's why I bought it :wink:

jonnythan once bubbled...
Wouldn't that leave a couple of nasty sharp edges that a grinding would get rid of?
Snap first... grind second... but wear safety goggles... or just use the file you scored it with to dress the snapped end.

I just looked at the picture and realized that you have half a century worth of knives there!

I just looked at the picture and realized that you have half a century worth of knives there!

I'm pinning the cardboard to my wall. I'm going to get my 96 cents worth!

jonnythan once bubbled...
I'm pinning the cardboard to my wall. I'm going to get my 96 cents worth!
Atta boy Jon... use your spare knife to pin the warranty to the wall... in twenty five years you'll have to invest in a thumb tack but you might find one stuck to the sole of your shoe in the mean time.

Atta boy Jon... use your spare knife to pin the warranty to the wall... in twenty five years you'll have to invest in a thumb tack but you might find one stuck to the sole of your shoe in the mean time.

I'll just pull a nail out of the ol cupboard door. I'm sure it only needs one to stay up anyway.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom