New Light Build

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Question for you all,
As you can see in the second picture of the first page the handles on the tray are hollow which I stuffed with rigid foam (from the side of a house).
The stuff keeps coming out on me so I am wondering what would be the best solution here, either put a long skinny balloon in the handles and blow them up till just before they come out the bottom or get one of those pool noddles and cut out a single long piece to shove up the tube nice and tight. Which would give better buoyancy do you figure?

Pool noodles will be buoyant only on the surface, once at depth the water pressure squeezes all the air out from the cells - it adds weight after all. You could use a closed cell foam called Divinycell (sp.?) which is not so cheap.

Question for you all,
As you can see in the second picture of the first page the handles on the tray are hollow which I stuffed with rigid foam (from the side of a house).
The stuff keeps coming out on me so I am wondering what would be the best solution here, either put a long skinny balloon in the handles and blow them up till just before they come out the bottom or get one of those pool noddles and cut out a single long piece to shove up the tube nice and tight. Which would give better buoyancy do you figure?

Any cellular foam you pack them with will compress at depth. I'm not sure if the spray polyurethanes (used to fill gaps around windows/doors/etc) would also collapse. I'm not sure how cellular they are, but that may be worth a try. The down side is if they don;t work- it will be a bitch to get that stuff out of there.

Interesting, I never thought the pressure would be strong enough to do that. I guess a balloon it is then! Thanx guys!

Interesting, I never thought the pressure would be strong enough to do that. I guess a balloon it is then! Thanx guys!

What do you think is going to happen to a balloon at depth?

I checked with Dow Chemical about the polyurethane foam (gap filler) foam. It won't work. From Dow:
Thank you for contacting the Dow Customer Information Group.

Your application is a non-approved application for our product line. These products are not recommended for under water applications. We have done no testing for your application. We do know that over time under water these foams will absorb water and become sponge like.

If you remember when you first did your OW course they told us exactly what happens to any closed volume of air at depth. You can't beat pressure mate. Nice light build by the way.

Thanks for the helpful reply's! What if I roll up some neoprene and put it in there? It's still buoyant at 100' so it should work right? But it's no where near as buoyant as a balloon though... Hmmm

Neoprene isn't buoyant at 100' (or hardly). It will compress and the tubes will mostly fill with water anyway. You need to plug the ends and make them airtight.

Back
Top Bottom