New Member in Denver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No, the reason I dive is to be able to go to the tropics when it's cold. Standing in lines in order to be cold and scared doesn't make any sense to me. . .now strapping 30 pounds of weight on you back and jumping into shark enfested waters, that makes sense. :)

Sounds reasonable to me, I guess you will be looking for charter deals to Cozumel out of DIA. What does diving cost in the Mediteranian?

Welcome from down in Durango! I envy you the chance to step onto an international flight right at your doorstep. We get the joy of either ...

a) the absurd prices originating out of Durango

b) the 4 hour drive to Albuquerque to catch a flight (usually accompanied by an extra motel night)

or ...

c) the ever so long, although beautiful, 6 hour drive to Denver to catch a flight

:colouredsmilies: Welcome to ScubaBoard! :colouredsmilies: We look forward to hearing more about your experiences in the future.

Sounds reasonable to me, I guess you will be looking for charter deals to Cozumel out of DIA. What does diving cost in the Mediteranian?

Most of the Charters to Cozumel from Denver have gone belly up now that several of the majors go to Cozumel. However it is nearly always possible to get a ticket to Cozumel from DIA for less than US$500, but it takes some planning. One thing I do know is that the direct flight is worth the money. If you fly to Cancun and then take the puddle jumper over your dive gear and luggage may or may not make it. It is very undependable.

I was paying about US$70 for two dives in Crete. This was on a 'cattle boat' with snorkelers, dive classes, etc. The diving was shallow and not very interesting, although clarity was great. The reason for much of the problem is that the Med has been off-limits for divers for many years in Greece. The government designated dive sites and you had no choice. That has changed but most of the diver operators have not, as yet, explored enough to find better dive sites. Also as many sites are designated as archeological sites and you can't dive them. The other problem is that the Med is fastly overfished; few big fish remain and divers often take spear guns with them. It is illegal, but common. Fishing is suppose to be prohibited within 100 meters of dive sites, but we saw fishing boats all the time.

"Hell is where the Police are German, the cooks are English, the Military is Italian, the Government is French, and it is organized by the Greeks" (A T Shirt in Athens). I've talked to people who have been diving in Turkey and they say it is excellent, but I know nothing about costs. I'd say that if you want to dive the med, do so, but don't bother with your own equipment; rent what you need other than mask.

Yeah, and I don't think Colorado Springs solves your problem. Maybe you should just stay longer in Cozumel! That's what I do; these days I'm staying in Cozumel for 2 months at a time. Life is good.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom