Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ruth

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've just found this site and what a pleasant surprise - I've never entered into these forums before, but found yours to be informative and supportive...

Iam about to do my last two open water dives tomorrow and Iam feeling extremely anxious - I (like Mary from 25/8/00) love being under the water but hate having to surface and I'm not too keen on decending either - on my first two open dives I descended too quickly and I had a pain in my ear for two weeks after. I am taking Bromelian and Papain at the moment as I've been told that this will help - something to do with mucus?!

Hopefully I will pass on Saturday and I have already signed up to a PADI Aware Beach Clean up in two weeks and a weekend away in Cliffony , Co. Sligo - I know it's cold this side of the world but the West of Ireland has some of the best dive sites in Europe.

Well, wish me luck and please tell me that it will get better the more dives I do, I am getting very nervous now.

Ruth

Hi;
Good Luck on your training dives this weekend. Don't get too nervous, everything will go fine. You will get better and more relaxed the more you dive. Everyone here had a first dive and I know everyone will be pulling for a successful experience!
Again, GOOD LUCK.

Ruth,

First off, welcome to our forums and thanks for posting your fears, it's nice to know I'm not the only one who gets scarred at times :)

My advice to you for yoru fears is just to let yourself get into the dive... be safe, play things correctly but don't focus too hard. Make sure you are aware but remember, the point of your dive is to learn and to enjoy; like yourself, I am not a very experienced diver but if there's one thing I've learned, or at least been told, it's that things get better and to focus on the dive, not your fears.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Hi Ruth,

Congratulations on getting certified! You can take heart that you are not alone in your experience. I also had trouble getting the descending thing down. Like Ted said, just relaxed and try to enjoy yourself. Take it slow, and be sure that if you feel any discomfort you take the time to make sure you can clear your ears. As time goes by and you get more comfortable with your skills as a diver, everything will be come easier and more familiar.

Good luck to you and welcome aboard.

Cheers,

Heya Ruth,

I Thank you for the kind words on behalf of everyone here as the credit really goes to each of the members on this forum. So far it has been a nice pleasure to chat and share with other divers here. If we ever fail to continue to be "informative and supportive" then you have our permission to slap us around, hehe. We hope that we can always be such and I can at least guarentee you that I will do my best.

I think you will find that "nervous" feeling turn into confidence as time goes on. It is really natural at first and is nothing to be ashamed of at all. Remember, we are the aliens and the ones out of our environment down there. From the sounds of it you have "caught the bug" and are hopelessly hooked like the rest of us. For most of us it turns into a life long and healthy addiction, hehe. I'm so hooked that I hear people complain about diving the same location too many times when I've dove in some of the same locations 100's of times and never look at it the same twice.

You sound to have all the right attitudes, anxious yet catious, so I am sure you will do just great! Good luck!

=-)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Welcome !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom