new micro 4/3 camera and goes underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Phil Rudin posted this link on wetpixel to a Japanese site with better shots of the camera being loaded and some sample shots.

http://fotopus.com/marine/impre/epl1+pt_ep01/index.html

Jack

I got a few questions:
1. What would be that big dome port lens in the Japanese link?
2. Also... I'm a C-5050 user. Is there shutter lag with this new camera?
3. Recommended all around lens/port?
Thanks!

Jack--looks interesting. The photos on the Japanese site looked good. A few questions from a novice like me who has an underwater point and shoot (OLY 8000) and is just getting use to that set up. Biggest issue for amateurs like me is not getting close enough, and the dreaded backscatter. I have the UF-1 strobe, and that sitting right on top of the hot shoe area, like in one of the photos, has backscatter written all over it as a possibility. I just added an arm to try and correct this.

This camera has interchangable lenses. If the lens allows, does the underwater housing let you use the zoom?

Many Thanks

I got a few questions:
1. What would be that big dome port lens in the Japanese link?
2. Also... I'm a C-5050 user. Is there shutter lag with this new camera?
3. Recommended all around lens/port?
Thanks!

I have not shot this camera but I have spent a day with the EP-1. These are not P&S cameras. They are more like an old range finder without the range finder. The shutter fires smoothly and quietly without all of the clunk, slap, clunk, clink of a SLR. The shutter fires when you push the shutter button full down, in focus or not. The EP-1 had a bit of a slow focus but it is my understanding, for what it is worth, that this has been largely corrected. These Micro 4:3 cameras and hopefully Canon/Nikon EVILS handle and shoot like an SLR, just smaller and no optical vf and thus no mirror. There is no reason that in time, these mirror-less "SLRs" might be faster/more responsive than a SLR because there is no mirror to swing clear of the sensor.

The camera I had was fitted with the beautiful, svelte, 35mm equivalent "pancake" lens and I loved it.

N

Prop Joe; You mean you don't read kanji? That's a comparison with the E620/PT-E06 system for size.

Port is FIXED, not changeable. First lens available is the 14-42, zoom gear is included with housing. Not sure yet if shading ring is, you'll want that to keep the internal flash from reflecting off the port.

I have no idea about shutter lag yet.

MJSmith: Yep, I cringe when Oly sends out photos of the strobe mounted on the hotshoe. I need to see what trays will fit. Oly has some funny ideas about charging HUGE amounts for trays. I may redesign my flat tray a little longer to fit.

Yes, zoom is fully functional and nicely placed on the housing.

I did hear today that they might have some cameras a little earlier than the March 5th date. Not sure about the housings, etc.

I WILL have them available as soon as anyone will. I am taking pre-orders.

Thanks,
Jack

I have both an SLR-style Nikon D90 SLR and an EVIL-style Olympus E-P1, the grandfather of the E-PL1. Using manual focus, the shutter lag is about the same on both bodies: so fast that it's difficult to measure.

If you're using autofocus on the E-P1, there's a setting that defaults out-of-the-box to focus the lens on infinity after every picture. Changing this setting really helps to speed up the autofocus on subsequent shots. I have no idea what the default will be on the E-PL1.

Thanks everyone...
Great, This is sounding better and better. IMO Ikelite needs to make a housing for this or they will miss the bus. I plan on stopping by the Ikelite booth at the Our World Underwater dive show to ask when they are going to have a housing for this camera. That way I can use my existing Ike strobes, cords, arms and tray. 67mm thread on the end of the lens would be great so I can use my Inon WA lens and dome port on my new dream rig.:wink::cool2::D

I've already talked to 10Bar to see what LC thought about doing a housing. He said as long as the market looked good he would consider it. His aluminum Panasonic GF-1 housings are very nice, with a choice of ports at reasonable cost.

Jack

The PMA show is this weekend in Anaheim, I'm sure there will be a few new mirrorless cameras. I know that Sony and Samsung will be jumping in with their own versions.:D

Thanks everyone...
Great, This is sounding better and better. IMO Ikelite needs to make a housing for this or they will miss the bus. I plan on stopping by the Ikelite booth at the Our World Underwater dive show to ask when they are going to have a housing for this camera. That way I can use my existing Ike strobes, cords, arms and tray. 67mm thread on the end of the lens would be great so I can use my Inon WA lens and dome port on my new dream rig.:wink::cool2::D
See post #18 in this thread.
Ike have a housing in their plans and it looks like Q3. They had originally targeted mid-year for the Pen housings prior to the E-PL1 announcement.
It would be my preferred direction as well.

Back
Top Bottom